United States
5150 Triathlon Series
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 49m 50s
Overall Rank = ??/
Age Group = 40+ Clyde
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Luckily I live two blocks from the start so I slept in until 5:30AM then headed down to the water. The bad part about racing as a Clyde is you wait a long time.

After finishing IMLKY in '08 I kinda got bummed out and didn't race at all until this race. Was good to break the ice even though it wasn't a great race just to get back int he saddle.
Swim
  • 41h 00m
  • 1640 yards
  • 2h 29m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out okay but after we went through the sausage bouys things got a little chopppy and some of the swimmers got tossed around. By the time we got out to the yellow bouy the ladies had caught up to us and were swimming over top of us. I would prefer they started the female group before us, this is a pretty common experience since that age group seems to always out swim the clydesdales.
What would you do differently?:

Well, I hadn't put on my wetsuit in 4 years (and 30 pounds) and realized that it was actually restricting my stroke motion and my shoulders were killing me afterward. I would spend a little more time in the water so that I am not intimidated in an OWS, this being my first race in 4 years it was nice to be a human cork for your first time out.
Transition 1
  • 05m
Comments:

I was so worn out from the swim that I almost thought I wouldn't have the strenght to get my suit off.
Bike
  • 1h 38m 40s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 15.11 mile/hr
Comments:

My Tri bike was stolen in 2010 (further causing me to leave racing) and I threw together an old felt for this race. I would have liked to have had aero bars and I may retrofit them on this bike. There was a strong headwind heading back to the transition area once we headed back north. Being a bigger guy, head winds are really a bummer. Nothing like peddling like crazy and looking at your garmin and seeing 14mph.

Probably get fitted on this bike, the wheels are actually pretty decent but I felt some joint pain. I raced with this bike throughout 07 without any issues but like I said, I threw it together for this race.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 1h 22m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 13m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

By the time I hit the run course it was getting pretty hot. I must not have hydrated enough on the bike, I started cramping and my HR skyrocketed into the 190's. Obviously, I had to walk until my heart rate would slow down. Eventually after drinking at every station and cooling off, my heart rate finally started to settle down and I was able to run the last two miles after run/walking the first 4.

Normally, the run is the one sport I am usually in the top half of my group in. My last 10K was about 1:03 and my training held about a 10:30 pace but the wheels just came off after the bike unfortunately. All in due time I guess.

Luckily this race has fantastic support and there was plenty of hydration at every mile.

More brick workouts, better hydration on the bike. Just plain get fitter.
Post race
Warm down:

How people could eat pizza that day was beyond me. I live across from Old Northeast Tavern so I grabbed a few banannas, got my bike and headed to the bar for a light beer and a protien salad. For a bar, they actually have great salads/sandwiches and it was a good recovery.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being out of the sport for four years, I could have spent more time in the water and done a better job of getting my weight down so wasn't constrained in my wetsuit.

I ran IMLKY 30 pounds lighter than I was today, I think once the weight is off I will be back on my game.

Event comments:

Great race, great experience. Just the kick in the butt I needed.

Last updated: 2012-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
41:00:00 | 1640 yards | 2h 29m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:38:40 | 24.85 miles | 15.11 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Course was great, South St. Pete population didn't seem to care for sharing the road with us and on a couple of occasions acted like jackasses but otherwise, a great course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:22:00 | 06.21 miles | 13m 12s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Really high HR, must have made some nutrition mistakes.
Course: Great course, great friendly neighborhood, it was encouraging to run through it.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes