General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tough Mudder Poconos Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-01 11:33 PM

User image

Veteran
New York
Subject: Tough Mudder Poconos
Did anyone else participate in the Tough Mudder last weekend in the Poconos?I must say, it is definitely a challenging event. I wasn't a believer at first, but after doing the event, I have much respect for it. It was cool to take away the race time and do an event as a team and helping out your fellow mudders. You can't finish this race by yourself. I can't say I would want to compete in the worlds toughest mudder event, but would consider doing it again next year. What are your thoughts?

2012-05-02 12:05 PM
in reply to: #4185326

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Tough Mudder Poconos
Hi. There is another one coming up this month. I think it is May 12th. I was thinking of doing it. It looks like lots of fun. I have heard that you need to do it as a team. A girl from the gym says she might do it with me. So, what did you think of it? Was it organized well? How fast did you do the course? It looks like there are clusters of people at each obstacle. Does that get annoying or is everyone real easy going?
2012-05-02 12:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
I have been wanting to do this, but having a hard time finding a someone to do it with.
2012-05-02 12:14 PM

User image

New user

Where are you from? I am in NEPA. 
2012-05-02 4:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
Ive heard it's pretty tough too fir a mud run. I've also heard it can suck b/c theres sometimes a long wait at the obsticals. I've also been told to pick your team where everyone is relatively the same pace/ athletic ability.
2012-05-02 5:05 PM

User image

Veteran
New York

Picking your team is definitely key, with similar pace & athletic ability.  I think a team of four is most ideal.  Too many and you're trying keep the group together and too little and it isn't as fun because you'll need your teammates for help & motivation.

Distance wise, they say it's 10-12 miles for each event, but the one last weekend was close to a half marathon distance. 

The entire event from start to finish was extremely well organized, more so than many triathlons I've participated in.  They've got the details figured out, even down to shuttling people from the parking lot to your car. 

I was in the 4th wave, so our team didn't have any issues with waiting at for each obstacles.  I would suggest getting in the earlier waves to avoid overcrowding as I assume that happened in the later waves.  I think there were 11 total waves (600ppl per wave) for my race.

This event is not a walk in the park, but it was extremely fun and the team work required made it even more fun.

Here is a clip of all the obstacles for my race, which I assume will be very similar to the one coming up in a few weeks.

2012-05-02 5:15 PM
in reply to: #4187030

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio
tpnguyen10 - 2012-05-02 5:05 PM

Picking your team is definitely key, with similar pace & athletic ability.  I think a team of four is most ideal.  Too many and you're trying keep the group together and too little and it isn't as fun because you'll need your teammates for help & motivation.

Distance wise, they say it's 10-12 miles for each event, but the one last weekend was close to a half marathon distance. 

The entire event from start to finish was extremely well organized, more so than many triathlons I've participated in.  They've got the details figured out, even down to shuttling people from the parking lot to your car. 

I was in the 4th wave, so our team didn't have any issues with waiting at for each obstacles.  I would suggest getting in the earlier waves to avoid overcrowding as I assume that happened in the later waves.  I think there were 11 total waves (600ppl per wave) for my race.

This event is not a walk in the park, but it was extremely fun and the team work required made it even more fun.

Here is a clip of all the obstacles for my race, which I assume will be very similar to the one coming up in a few weeks.

Congrats!  I'm jealous!  Have been thinking of doing one of these for awhile, but have the issue of finding a team.  

2012-05-02 6:27 PM

User image

New user

tpnguyen... how long did it take you to finish the race? how many people were in your team?
2012-05-02 9:03 PM
in reply to: #4187149

User image

Veteran
New York

michybp13 - 2012-05-02 7:27 PM tpnguyen... how long did it take you to finish the race? how many people were in your team?

We had a team of eight, but half way through the race, we split up into 2 teams of four.  I took us about 4 hours to complete, but we hung around longer than normal at a few obstacles (quarter pipe & berlin wall) to help others out… and it was cool to watch people try to complete the obstacles. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tough Mudder Poconos Rss Feed