BBRC
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 59m 3s
Overall Rank = 331/562
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 40/52
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30am, quick shower, peanut butter/honey toast. Left around 6:10am to drive to Bellevue.
Event warmup:

A little hip flexor stretching and light walk/jog - not much, probably should do a little more. Grabbed some freebies from the booths before they got picked over!
Run
  • 59m 3s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

With a HM in about 3 weeks, this fitted nicely into the training plan.

Overall a great race. I was hoping to maintain a 10 min pace even though I knew this was a very hilly course, so my goal going in was 62-65 mins. I figured if I had a perfect race I might have an outside shot at breaking the hour mark, and if it was close I would go for it.

I have been using a run:walk Galloway strategy through training and it has worked out really well for me. This was my second running event and in training I have been increasing my time/distance before engaging run:walk. Going in, I was hoping to run the entire distance despite knowing there were 3 big hills.

Overall, everything went really well for me. I did not take any walk breaks and I was able to maintain a very consistent pace with my splits consistently under 10 min pace. At the water station at the halfway point I was at 29 mins which is when I started entertaining the idea of going under 1 hour. Maintained pace around 9:30 and then the hill at mile 4 hit me! Shame on me for not reconning the course ahead of time, especially when I work in the middle of Bellevue!! Lesson learned. That was a long tough hill and I figured my shot at beating the hour would be gone by the time I completed it but I managed to split mile 4 at just over 10 mins.

With about a mile and a half to go I had about 13/14 mins to the hour marker but we had merged with the 5K run adding weaving through the walkers to the challenge as well as the final long gradual hill to the finish. At that point, I decided to go full Beast and give it everything I had left in the tank - this is race day afterall..!! I got my best split on mile 6 going under 9 minute pace. Saw Mum who was visiting from England on the final stretch and kicked through the finish line with the timer at 59:xx yeaaaahhhhhhh!!!

My watch said 59:14 and final official chip time was 59:03 for a pace right around 9:30. A huge thrill to get in under an hour, beating my goal going in by about 5 mins. Score again Rookie Trimaniacs!! Looking forward to the next challenge at the Over the Dam HM on May 12.
What would you do differently?:

Checked out the course ahead of time, noting the locations of the major hills. Probably should have slowed at the first water station so as not to dump water all over myself, but in hindsight that might have cost me the hour mark, so I'm glad I didn't!!
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed water, orange slices, met up with Mum and walked around for a couple mins.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills!!

Last updated: 2012-03-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:59:03 | 06.21 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 40/52
Overall: 52/562
Performance: Good
Course: Loop out of downtown Bellevue starting and finsihing at Downtown City Park. 3 pretty big hills and a long gradual hill in final mile to finish. Around 450ft of elevation gain.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-04 12:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Stevens, Wa
Subject: Bellevue Run

2012-05-06 12:36 AM
in reply to: #4190761

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Bellevue Run
Great race James!  Yep, time to add some hill repeats into your training if you wanna conquer hills during races. =)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bellevue Run Rss Feed