The Woodlands Township Parks and Recreation Department
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 34s
Overall Rank = 94/800
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 15/67
Pre-race routine:

This is a local race for me, so I'm able to ride the bike over in the morning, race, and then ride back home. I spent a little time in the garage working on a torpedo water bottle mount. Ended up cutting it off in transition before the race started and deciding to just go without. I've had some wacky, very sporadic training for the last few months for IM-Woodlands and am just starting taper, so my plan for this race was normal swim, bike hard, and then run what feels okay. I wore my GPS for pace info, but didn't wear the HRM and thought I'd just pace by feel.
Event warmup:

Ride over and walking around transition and the venue waiting for the start was my warm-up. Actually, it's a 7-mile ride from the house, so that works out pretty well.
Swim
  • 11m 25s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Average swim for me. Last year I swam about a minute faster, but that was with the wet suit on.
Transition 1
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

Decent transition. Went without a shirt on the bike, but did take a few seconds to put socks on, since I've got a scab on one foot.
Bike
  • 38m 25s
  • 15.3 miles
  • 23.90 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt I really crushed this bike ride! I remember getting passed by one guy with spots, other than that I passed people steadily for the whole ride. The Garmin had my average speed as 24.1 mph.....I'm usually happy when I can break 22, so I'm very pleased by this. Last year, my split was an even 22-mph, I was about 2-1/2 minutes faster than last year. I've been putting in a lot of miles on the bike, but they're almost all zone-2 with almost no intervals or speed work. This race left me thinking that, with some training changes, I could actually become a fairly fast biker.
What would you do differently?:

I might have been able to go a little harder at the beginning of the ride, but overall I very happy with this effort.
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Took a little time to pull my tri jersey on for the run. Also, the garmin had a little trouble switching over to run mode, so I spent a few seconds messing around with it.
Run
  • 25m 7s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was almost 2-minutes slower than last year, but I didn't taper at all, and my legs were feeling heavy from the week's training. My goal was to just have a nice, solid run.
Post race
Warm down:

Wandered around the park and the finish area for about an hour until transition opened.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No taper at all for this race, and no speed or interval work in my training plan.

Event comments:

One of the best "large" Houston-area sprint races. Very well run event, great course and venue.

Last updated: 2012-01-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:25 | 547 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 45/67
Overall: 284/800
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Kind of a rectangular course, with all bouys on the left. Some people tread water and some linger back at the entry point standing to wait for the starting gun.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:58
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:25 | 15.3 miles | 23.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/67
Overall: 34/800
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Flat course that loops around the front of The Woodlands. One lane and the shoulder are coned off, so course has plenty of room. The course does have a number of right-hand turns. The lane is all concrete and the shoulders are asphalt, and both are smooth and in good condition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:07 | 03.11 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/67
Overall: 211/800
Course: Flat course with a small climb over the bridge at both the beginning and end of the run. Not much shade on the course.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes