General Discussion Race Reports! » IronGear Sports Rio Salado Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

IronGear Sports Rio Salado Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Red Rock Company
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 35m 45s
Overall Rank = 83/306
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 18/36
Pre-race routine:

Normal routine for me. Woke up early (3:45), relaxed and had breakfast - Clif Bar (no banana this time), G2. Bike was in transition so no need to roll it out and mount it on my car - loaded up my gear and went to TTL. Got to transition at about 5:00, pumped up my tires, checked my bike, and spent time meeting up with all the ONE racers and everyone else I know. Listened to music as much as possible to keep me motivated.
Event warmup:

Set up transition, decided on socks/no-socks, stretched a bit and donned the sleeveless wetsuit. Took my normal 5-hr energy and Power bites about 20 minutes before the race. No water before this time (forgot the bottle). Waited by the water as the event start was delayed 20 minutes due to traffic closure setup. Finally waited in my wave line (wave 6) and watched the wave starts until it was go time.
Swim
  • 30m 46s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started in the middle of the line, 2nd or 3rd row back. Went out hard the first 200-300m to try something new and get some space. More bumping than I expected for a smaller race, but it was fine. My sighting was bad this race. I have been swimming much straighter lately so I did not sight as much, and it cost me a bit as I was fading right constantly. Starting passing red caps (wave before us) and thought I was moving along very well. Worked my way around the buoys in tight fashion and tried to stay up against the buoy line to improve me line.

During the middle of the swim I think I slowed a bit for 50-100m, as it felt like I was not pushing, so I returned to my form recognition and cadence call (catch....pull/catch.....pull) and that seemed to do the trick.

Coming out of the water I really expected to see 28 minutes or so on my watch, but it was right at 30. Oh well, 30 was the generic target, so I was on-pace for my race time. ONE Multisport (my peeps!) acted as wetsuit peelers, and I was out of my wetsuit and running to transition immediately.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better, and perhaps go back to starting on the left side of the line, 2 or 3 rows back.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

ZOOM! This was my best overall T1 in a wetsuit legal race. I flew into transition, racked my wetsuit, threw on my shoes and socks (decided at the last minute socks were a go) and took off toward bike out. Skipped the sunscreen on purpose (figured it was a short enough race, how red could I get?) and was loose and moving well. My target T1 was 2:30, so I was now ahead of schedule!!!

Nothing. My rack was right by bike out, so no need to clip in my shoes - it is just as easy to run in them and mount with them on.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 16s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.92 mile/hr
Comments:

I was pushing hard early on (probably a big factor in my spiking HR), as I wanted to keep a 21-22mph avg for as long as I could. Took the turns well, and passed way more people than those that passed me. I felt strong until the second loop when I could feel some fatigue setting in (running the Eugene Marathon the previous week likely had a hand in this - more on that later).

I was in aero the majority of the time, and felt some of the wind gusts push me around some with my race wheels. Watching the clock and my speed I was happy with the results, as I targeted 1:12 as my goal, and I came in under that with some challenging conditions for me (fatigue, wind).

I was smart and took on nutrition half-way and kept hydrated every 15 minutes or so, which I think helped me push through.

Nothing probably.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

ZOOM #2!!!! Again, fastest T2 I can recall, and everything went smoothly. Racked my bike quickly, got into my running shoes, then out of my helmet quickly, grabbed my visor and was off and running.

My toes and feet had been numb the last couple HIM races (Oceanside and Marquee), and I thought it was weather-related, but they were numb again this race in the warm climate so I am wondering if my shoes are not right for me, if I have the cleats in the wrong alignment, or if some other factor is in play here. It sucks to start the run with numbness in my toes - I do not go out as quickly as I could.

My goal T2 time was 1:30, so I beat this and was still ahead of my overall race expectation.

Nothing - this was an awesome T2 execution.
Run
  • 50m 53s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I am a better runner than this usually. At mile 2 (had been running at 7:30 avg) I could feel my quads tensing up from fatigue, which I am sure was a result of a) the heat, and b) the fact that 6 days prior I ran the Eugene Marathon. Running a marathon within a week of this race forced a bigger taper, and I know I was not fully rested and recovered. Oh well - I chose to do it, so no complaints.

Kept a good enough rhythm to be running at about 8min/mi avg for the first 4 miles or so. Then my pace started to slow (I could not attack the bridges and inclines like I try to do), and I carefully watched to make sure I was not going to miss a chance at a PR. Really worked on my form as much as anything, trying hard not to heel strike, keep my body leaning forward, and my arms moving level and not across my body. Came over the bridge on the 2nd loop and decided to turn on some speed for the finish. Was not sprinting, but did have a quicker pace going the last 100-200 yds.

My goal for the run was 48:40, so I was a couple minutes shy of this and this is where I fell back just behind my overall goal pace (but very close).

Besides not have a marathon within a week of the race? Nothing - I think that would solve quite a bit. Keep my HR down as well, as with a 160BPM I can hold 7-7:30 for 6 miles and really perform better.
Post race
Warm down:

PR by about 5 minutes (over last year's Rio - ironic)!!!

Had some water and Perform, and a bit of eggs from Cafe Boa, and hung out at the ONE tent, sharing race stories and congratulating my team. Gathered my gear and headed home for some rest.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I do not like to make excuses, as I cause my own limitations, but running a marathon less than a week before this race turned out to have its effects. I thought I felt ok later in the week, but I know better and my legs were not quite recovered fully. The heat on the 2nd run on the loop was going up, but I run in the heat often so I do not think this had any real serious effects for such a short period of time (15-20 minutes).

Event comments:

I love Red Rock events. No complaints here on the start delay - these things happen and typically Red Rock is right on schedule, so no harm done. I prefer a bike course with less turn-arounds, but everyone has to deal with them the same, so again, no complaints here.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-01-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:46 | 1500 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 16/36
Overall: 112/306
Performance: Average
My GPS showed this at over 2100 yds. It did not feel long, but who knows?
Suit: Orca Sonar Sleeveless
Course: Single counter-clockwise loop in Tempe Town Lake.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:47
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:16 | 24.85 miles | 20.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/36
Overall: 86/306
Performance: Good
My HR was WAY too high for this. How it was so high from the start is beyond my comprehension. A 159BPM avg is about 14BPM too high.
Wind: Some
Course: Winding course around Tempe with 3 180 degree turns and several 90 degree turns. Very urban 2-loop course with tight turn areas and considerable face-to-face race traffic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:53 | 06.21 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/36
Overall: 108/306
Performance: Average
HR was again, WAY TOO HIGH. Avg HR was 175BPM, which is 15-19 BPM too high, and I spiked at 197BPM!
Course: 2 loops around Tempe Town Lake, running east (S side of lake) and over the Rural Rd bridge, then back west (N side of lake) and over the Mill Ave bridge to the finish (or 2nd loop).
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-05-06 8:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Subject: IronGear Sports Rio Salado Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-05-06 1:44 PM
in reply to: #4193190

User image

Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: IronGear Sports Rio Salado Triathlon - Olympic Course
Nice race report! Sorry that I didn't get a chance to say "Hi" at the race... maybe next time. Congratulations on an awesome race.
2012-05-06 1:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Hi, congrats on your race, sorry didn't catch, you were almost next to me.
2012-05-07 9:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
WOW! Your improvements are being seen EVERY race! To pr an Oly 6 days after a marathon is amazing and great job on those transitions!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » IronGear Sports Rio Salado Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed