Got up and left to the site, had a banana, granola bar and a red bull
Event warmup:

strides and stretching
Run
  • 1h 39m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out feeling good and went out a bit fast but comfortable, covering the fist two miles in 13:30 but just after the second mile...HOLY SIDE STITCH BATMAN!!!!!! I got plagued by them njust around them and just reduced me to next to nothing, took my two gels to get electrolytes in and jogged slowly, felt like a nine minute pace but was faster oddly. At around mile 3 i felt like quitting but i just kept moving, I'm too tough to give up. At around mile four the cramps largely gave way and i could run comfortably and i sped up but those previous two miles did a number on my legs so i couldn't go as fast as i wanted to. With all the fans around and the bands bands playing i just started to cheer myself on and just gut it out. At the 10K mark i was feeling better and was surprised at my time, thought it would be fifty minutes, it was at this point that i would have to walk every so often, no more nor less than 30 seconds. I saw my time of 1:17:06 at the ten mile mark and said Eddie you can still break 1:45:xx, you can easily suffer for 5 kilos. At that point i picked up the pace and my quads and feet were hurting but i knew I had to get a good time. Getting back into Eisenhower I just kept picturing myself coming back into Lake Placid and just said if you finish this you'll finish Harriman and if you finish Harriman next will be the Ironman. After the 12 mile mark I just picked it up and was gunning it the last mile. Was also really wanting a beer after this hell of a race then got bummed that I can't get any til July! At the 10K and 26 mile mark for the other two races i just began a sprint, 13 miles, .1 left i was in over driver just going as hard as i could then the finish came and i was done, managed to finish this bad race, learn a lesson of taking an endurolyte a day from now on and later found out i broke 1:40:xx!
What would you do differently?:

take electrolytes every day to hydrate myself at the muscular level to prevent them stitches
Post race
Warm down:

walked around, drank and ate

What limited your ability to perform faster:

stitches

Event comments:

Loved it, will do it again next year!

Last updated: 2012-01-23 12:00 AM
Running
01:39:54 | 13.1 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/103
Overall: 318/4440