Set Up Events
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 17s
Overall Rank = 113/378
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 17/43
Pre-race routine:

I got up at about 4AM and fed my Golden Retriever. I picked up Maria at 5 and we arrived at white lake about 6:15. We got there early enough to snatch a parking spot inside the FFA grounds. Since the swim start wasnt until 8:24 I had plenty of time to mingle with the many tri-club members that were there. My transition area was very basic and I planned on giving it my all. Too bad I have not swam in the last three weeks. This ought to be interesting.
Event warmup:

The two hours of walking around helped some and I figure I will warm up in the water.
Swim
  • 16m 51s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt winded early on, probably around 200 yards out. The waves were picking us up and dropping us down. It was a tough swim, luckily it was also a short one. I didnt sight very well and found myself swimming to the left and right of the markers. There was alot of contact with the other swimmers. Mostly I was run over by the faster guys. After I passed the 600 yard marker I saw the yellow squiggley man. SOMEHOW I managed to make a right turn and headed for the start pier. I looked up to sight and saw a sea of yellow swim caps waiting to start. I looked to my left and saw MY GROUP all trying to climb up the ladder and out of the water. IDIOT. I turned and swam to my finish. What a bad swim.
What would you do differently?:

I would correct everything I mentioned above.
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

I ran to the transition. Maria was running next to me cheering me on, THAT energized me. I had alot of butt'r on my ankles so my wetsuit came right off. I did take a moment to put on my garmin, helmet, sunglasses, bike shoes and off I ran. I ranked 11th in AG and 82 overall.

nothing, I had a pretty good transition.
Bike
  • 38m 49s
  • 14 miles
  • 21.64 mile/hr
Comments:

I pushed it hard. I have not really been on my bike much since Florida so my quads were not too happy with me. The headwind slowed me to about 19mph and the tailwind pushed me up to 26. I didnt play around with nutrition or electrolytes. I kept the aero bottle on the bike and had it about half full. I dont think the ba-bumps are as bad on this side of the road as the are on the other (meaning the people doing the half yesterday were launching water bottles because they were going north and Im going south).

nada
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

About a quarter mile from the finish I pulled my feet out of my shoes. I was able to do the dismount without killing myself and ran my bike into transition. I went to the wrong side of my rack and became confused as too where my spot was. This cost me a good 5-10 seconds. I found it and racked the bike. Off with the helmet and on with the running shoes. I grabbed the race belt and visor and ran out of there. I ranked 7th in AG and 63 overall.

I guess try not to get lost in T2. I did see where someone made a arrow to their bike on the grass with baby powder (way to think outside the box).
Run
  • 24m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a hard time letting myself slow down. I was at a good pace (for me) and my legs wanted to slow, but I thought of how Maria couldnt run today, and how crushed she was. She motivated me to run hard. There was an aid station at 1/2 mile, 1 mile, and 1.5 miles. Each one I ran past I grabbed a cup of water and took a single drink. I got to see several warriors on the run, most were way ahead of me. There were several guys walking, always guys, never girls. I came back out to the main road and with a quarter mile to go I ran hard. I ran hard through to the finish line where Maria was there to greet me.

nada
Post race
Warm down:

I had 2 hot dogs and some chips. We mingled with the other tri-warriors and hung out. It was a great event. Afterwards we all went out to the mexican place and ate lunch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not swimming well was the only BIG thing.

Event comments:

Setup Events does a great job with their races. I compare all others to them (except IRONMAN) as they set the bar. I hated it that my girfriend could not race this day but I was glad that she still wanted to come out.

Last updated: 2012-01-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:51 | 820 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 28/43
Overall: 206/378
Performance: Bad
Suit: wet suit legal
Course: This was a triangle with the finish being at the pier a hundred yards to the right from the one at the start. We stayed to the left of the markers and went out about 250 yards, right turn, then about 250 yards, right turn 250 yards back to the pier.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:46
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:49 | 14 miles | 21.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/43
Overall: 89/378
Wind: Headwind
Course: 2 loops around the lake. Wind was from the north to south. This made it easy going down the bumpy road by the town hall but hard going north from the FFA center to 41.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:43 | 03.11 miles | 07m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/43
Overall: 157/378
Course: This was an out and back starting by going north from the FFA. About a half mile up the road we turned into a subdivision and ran through the main street, making a left into a little deadend court. We circled a cone and came back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes