General Discussion Triathlon Talk » AC Joint Separation - How Long Were You Out? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-07 11:29 PM

Subject: AC Joint Separation - How Long Were You Out?

Hi -- curious if anyone on here can share there experiences with AC joint separation? About a month ago I hit a pothole and went over my handlebars headed downhill at about 30mph. Needless to say the result was not good! I broke my collar bone and have a 3rd degree separation of my AC joint. Had surgery a week and a half ago to put in a titanium plate to secure the fracture, and some sort of suture and anchor mechanism to secure the ac joint. Well, bad new at the dr. today was that the suture to hold the AC joint had failed and they need to do another surgery tomorrow to put in another device to try to secure the AC joint.

So.... that was a long preamble, but I'm really curious to hear others' experiences with this type of injury. Specifically, if you had surgery for an AC joint separation, how long was it until you were training again? I'm training for an Ironman in October, and I'm really worried that this will set me back too far.

Thanks for any advice!

Heather

2012-05-07 11:40 PM
in reply to: #4196394

User image

Subject: RE: AC Joint Separation - How Long Were You Out?
Ouch, sorry to hear it.  I had a grade 3 plus in Feb 2008 but no surgery and I was at the start line for IMAZ in April.  I was told the surgery is several weeks or months of recovery
2012-05-08 7:50 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I am not sure why your doctor is so fixated on restoring your AC joint. A huge number of professional football and hockey players have this injury and I don't think they have it surgically repaired. I have a 3rd degree separation and my doc told me that is the best kind because the joint is basically gone. He told me that if you put it back together that it will inevitably develop arthritis at some point. He also told me that if the bump on my shoulder really bothered me aesthetically that he would just remove the distal portion of the clavicle. I would at least consider a second opinion but it sounds like you are already signed up for surgery in the very near future.

I injured mine many years ago. It was a couple months until I was able to really get active again and over a year before I felt like my arm/shoulder apparatus was as strong as the other side. I can tell no difference in strength or function between my "normal" shoulder and my shoulder with the AC separation. A lot of your recovery and return to function will depend on your tolerance of pain. I have read about people getting back out and riding/running/swimming within a couple weeks of their injury. I think those folks are probably pretty tough.
2012-05-08 7:55 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I had separation June 2007, was able to do a HIM in October.  It hurt most to run to start. Pain lingered on and off into 2009 mostly when I swam. Now it doesn't bother me anymore.

No surgery for me.

I too am curious why your doc is so set on anchoring your AC joint?

2012-05-08 9:01 AM

For a Valentine's present this year I gave myself a grade 5 separation.  I was back on the bike within two weeks and back running at 3 weeks.  Swimming was much more difficult and I really just got back to the week before last.  I still have some pain with swimming and certain motions, like doing push ups, are out of the question.

I have seen a couple different doctors, including going to the incredible Steadman clinic in Vail,, and might end up doing surgery if things stop improving but right now I'm in a wait and see mode.

2012-05-08 9:08 AM

Veteran

obviously we do not know all the details (x-rays, MRI, etc) however, have you gotten a 2nd opinion? I am not a surgeon but work in the medical device industry and although some do get repaired there are lots of different reasons why. In general most dont get repaired until they fully fail.

I would get a 2nd and possibly 3rd opinion before that surgery as you want to make sure you dont have that "cut to cure" guy workin on you....and there are quite of few of those out there

2012-05-08 9:08 AM

Veteran

double post

Edited by psycleridr 2012-05-08 9:09 AM
2012-05-08 9:09 AM

Veteran

and triple post! grrrrrrr

posting fail Frown

Edited by psycleridr 2012-05-08 9:10 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » AC Joint Separation - How Long Were You Out? Rss Feed