Long Island Running Club
~68F / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 22m 40s
Overall Rank = 74/269
Age Group = Clydesdale 200+
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

Stomach was very upset this morning. Must have been the McDonalds on the drive from Boston. Gagged while brushing my teeth, which usually happens after a night of heavy drinking. Drove to the race had some gatorade and some water. Had to pee about 5 times in an hour and half, and I didn't even drink a whole bottle of gatorade.
Event warmup:

Five minute jog with some ~4 pick up paces for 20-30 seconds. Streched and milled about for 10 more minutes until the race started.
Run
  • 22m 40s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I started to the far left at the front. Once the race got under way I dropped to the right. The guy standing next to me made a joke at the start and I tried to stay with him for alittle. He quickly pulled away. (Turns out he won the clydesdale 200+ group).
3:00 my breathing becomes more labored and I start feeling like I'm really struggling. Well my longest tempo is usually around this time, so it must just be my body adapting to the pace. A little longer, and I start thinking that I may have started out too fast as people begin dropping me left and right. 6:24 first mile done! Holy crap! I wanted to run the first mile in 7:00 and descend from there.
10:00 wheels come off. Just focused on keeping my head up and elbows back (thanks Mike Ricci for that one) and my stride short. Breath in through the nose and out through the mouth. Hit Stewart Ave. and waiting for the mile 2 marker. Finally, 14:00 two miles down. My pace dropped a full minute plus as I grabbed some water and thanked the little girl who was working the table.
Turn onto South Oyster bay road for the last leg. The humidity is getting to me, thank you summer. I feel like I'm going to vomit. I try to push harder at mile 3 but I could tell my body wouldn't do it. Turn into parking lot and I'm backing off my pace. I really didn't want to vomit in the finishing shoot. I finish, grab a water bottle and go off to the side. I dry heaved alittle, probably sounded like a Yak dying.
What would you do differently?:

Pacing, pacing, pacing. Start slower and I feel that my heart rate monitor would have greatly helped me keep my pace. The plan was 7:00, 6:50, 6:50 for the last 1.1. Not 6:24, 7:40, 8:40.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, trying not to dry heave. Cooled down with water and finally grabbed some to drink. Had two bananas, two bagels and checked the race results. Knew I medaled, so I hung around for the raffle, got a massage had a cliff bar, the rest of my gatorade and some more water. I didn't with the TV that was raffled off. Bummer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pacing. The humidity didn't help either, but really if I paced correctly, I may have been able to break 21. Live and learn.

Event comments:

Good race. Turns out the running club based in my home town is huge. About 400-500 members. Crasy. I had my BT tattoo, but no one asked about it. I also used my race belt, which worked well. Overall, good race, not counting the racing part. ;)

Last updated: 2006-05-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:40 | 03.11 miles | 07m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/
Overall: 74/269
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat. South Oyster Bay Road past Stewart. Turned into a development then back out onto Stewart. Stewart to South Oyster Bay Road to finish in CNGCS parking lot.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-27 11:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
Subject: CNGCS 5K Runday

2006-05-27 3:26 PM
in reply to: #436118

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: CNGCS 5K Runday

Hey, a 22+ minute 5k is pretty darn speedy in my book.  Good job on your race and 3rd in your group.  Humidity does suck!

2006-05-27 7:50 PM
in reply to: #436193

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
drdi - 2006-05-27 4:26 PM

Hey, a 22+ minute 5k is pretty darn speedy in my book.  Good job on your race and 3rd in your group.  Humidity does suck!

Thanks. It isn't so much the speed as I didn't pace myself and stick with my plan. If I started slower, had negative splits and finished strong, then 22+ would have been a great time. Instead, I went out too fast, broke down and limped across the line. Like I wrote, live and learn, or should it be race and learn.
2006-05-31 10:28 AM
in reply to: #436118

User image

Master
Cambridge, MA

Every race has a take home lesson.  Yours was a 2-part lesson it seems -- 1. skip the pre-race McD's in favor of a bagel or banana and 2. don't let someone else be your rabbitt.  Gotta set your own pace, run your own race. 

But good show, man.  And 3rd place clyde is pretty awesome!

Chin up and keep running, even on the days that just feel 'off'.  It all builds a base. 

Cheers, -Sunny

Edited by SunnyS 2006-05-31 10:28 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CNGCS 5K Runday Rss Feed