General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mission: Not to be "that guy" during my first Tri! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2012-05-08 10:50 AM

User image

Regular
Ankeny
Subject: Mission: Not to be "that guy" during my first Tri!

My first Tri is on May 20th and now that I'm less than two weeks away I'm starting to focus on "the little things".  For me that means transitions and transition area.  I have some questions that I haven't seen answered in previous threads.  Please forgive the elemenatry nature of these questions, I have no problem finishing DFL but I don't want to finish DFL and be "that guy" in transition.

1. What do I do with my transition bag after setting up my gear?  Do I take it back to my car or leave it in the transition area

2. How big of a towel should I use to set my stuff on?  Right now I have a 12"x24".  Is this too much or too little?

3. I've seen different suggestions for cleaning your feet during T1, would you recommend using just a towel or using a water bottle to spray them off and then a towel?

4. While I've seen videos on how to strip my wetsuit off, I haven't seen where to put it during T1.  Do I lay it over the bike rack or leave it crumpled on the ground like a pair of dirty underwear?

5.  Would you recommend taking an extra tube/change kit with me on the bike? Sprint course, 15 miles, flat road.

6.  I've got a race belt, should I put my number on before the bike or before the run?  Rules state before the run.  Any advantages/disadvantages either way?

As far as training goes, I think I'm ready.  I've had my poor me, self doubt week and have packed away the gremlins.  Practiced setting up my transition area over the weekend which drove the questions above.  I'll run through transitions this weekend and my final training day will be the 17th.  Nutrition is set and trained with and meals the day before are forecasted as well.  I'm really excited but really nervous at the same time.

Thanks to all the help, support, and advice on these boards.  Whether directed to me personally or another poster the wealth of knowledge and encouragement has been fantastic.  Thanks for the inspiration and thank you in advance for answering my questions.

2012-05-08 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4197324

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Mission: Not to be "that guy" during my first Tri!

1. Some races have a fence area in transition people tend to pile their stuff up next to. You can certainly take it back to the car, too, to get it out of the way. 

2. That sounds good!

3. A lot of times, sand and debris will naturally sluff off as you run up to your transition spot. If there are any big chunks left, I just wipe my feet on the towel.

4. I put my wetsuit where my bike was. Otherwise you risk it getting in the way of your rack mates, run over, tossed who knows where.

5. I personally never ride without tools to change a flat. If you don't, just be prepared to call it a day if you flat.

6. If you have it on for the bike it will flap around - not the end of the world but it might bother you. Either way on this one.

Sounds like you're ready! Have a blast!

2012-05-08 11:05 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
BigN321 - 2012-05-08 10:50 AM

1. What do I do with my transition bag after setting up my gear?  Do I take it back to my car or leave it in the transition area

Don't take anything too large and there should be space for it.

2. How big of a towel should I use to set my stuff on?  Right now I have a 12"x24".  Is this too much or too little?

I use a towel about that size or fold a larger towel to cut down on the real estate.

3. I've seen different suggestions for cleaning your feet during T1, would you recommend using just a towel or using a water bottle to spray them off and then a towel?

I just drag my feet across the towel.  If I were running through sand or something going into T1, I might spray off with a water bottle.

4. While I've seen videos on how to strip my wetsuit off, I haven't seen where to put it during T1.  Do I lay it over the bike rack or leave it crumpled on the ground like a pair of dirty underwear?

I have only worn a wet suit one, but I would place it over my spot on the bike rack.

5.  Would you recommend taking an extra tube/change kit with me on the bike? Sprint course, 15 miles, flat road.

I wouldn't ride on a flat, so I carry an extra tube/change kit.  Depending on the race, I would make the decision to change or DNF.

6.  I've got a race belt, should I put my number on before the bike or before the run?  Rules state before the run.  Any advantages/disadvantages either way?

Grab it on the way out of T2 along with sunglasses and hat.  It can easily be put on while moving.

As for being "that guy", the fact that you know that guy exists will probably keep you from being him.  Good luck and have fun.

2012-05-08 11:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I always leave mine in the transition area.  As long as it's not overly large it shouldnt' be an issue.

I always bring a full size towel and fold it.

It depends.  If you're running through sand then you may want to use a water bottle.  Otherwise your hand or a towel should be fine.

??

Just put in on your bag or somewhere in  your area.

Sure.  Bring one and practice with it beforehand.

They can flap in the wind, so I just do it for the run.

2012-05-08 11:09 AM

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio

1. What do I do with my transition bag after setting up my gear?  Do I take it back to my car or leave it in the transition area - Leave it piled by the fence or take it back to your car.  If you have someone who is at the race with you (my husband and I use each other sometimes as a race mule) you can leave it with them.  

2. How big of a towel should I use to set my stuff on?  Right now I have a 12"x24".  Is this too much or too little? I didn't use a huge towel, just enough to wipe my feet dry and throw my shoes on.  

3. I've seen different suggestions for cleaning your feet during T1, would you recommend using just a towel or using a water bottle to spray them off and then a towel? When I came in, I had an extra water bottle to just squirt them off and then dry them.  I ride/run with no socks at this distance, so just enough to clear the dirt away.  

4. While I've seen videos on how to strip my wetsuit off, I haven't seen where to put it during T1.  Do I lay it over the bike rack or leave it crumpled on the ground like a pair of dirty underwear? Leave it where you racked your bike.  

5.  Would you recommend taking an extra tube/change kit with me on the bike? Sprint course, 15 miles, flat road. I always take a tire lever, pump, and spare tube.  You can flat within 10yds of the transition, so I always carry one.  

6.  I've got a race belt, should I put my number on before the bike or before the run?  Rules state before the run.  Any advantages/disadvantages either way? I threw it on in T1 just so I wouldn't forget it in T2.  Best part of a race belt you can flip it to the back out of the way on the bike, and then flip it to the front for the run.  Just one less thing for me to think about when I came in to T2. I had a hard enough time remembering to grab my visor and glasses! Either way, this is a personal thing, so whatever is comfortable for you! 

GOOD LUCK!!!  You will do great, can't wait to read a RR when your finished Laughing

Edited by ecozenmama 2012-05-08 11:11 AM
2012-05-08 11:11 AM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV

Welcome to the crazy world of triathlon!

1.  For me it depends how far the TA is to the car.  If it's more than a 10 minute walk, it stays in the TA (transition area).

2.  I bring a regular bath towel and then just fold it up.  As little space as you can to fit everything.

3.  I just wipe them on the TA towel.

4.  Over the rack next to the bike.  I've always found enough space so far.

5.  I have one spare tube and kit.

6.  I put it on before the bike with the number facing back and then flip it on T2, but that's mostly because my belt also carries gels and I use for my bike nutrition.

It's like studying for a test.  If you wait until you're "ready," you'll be waiting forever.  You're trained enough

2012-05-08 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
New York

Agree with above two posts. Two notes:

For wiping off feet, I use a regular water bottle to rinse off a little if it's bad. If it's not too bad, you can use your transition towel by just standing on it and wiggling around a little -- or (if you wear socks with your biking shoes, some people don't, I do), I use my socks to quickly wipe off the debris. Works great.

As for your race belt, put it on TOP of your shoes or someplace obvious -- you don't want to forget it running out of transition and no, I haven't done that before, why do you ask?

Good luck!

2012-05-08 11:18 AM

User image

1. What do I do with my transition bag after setting up my gear?  Do I take it back to my car or leave it in the transition area I sort through my gear the night before, and organize it by what I need in what transition, then put it in plastic grocery sacks.  I then bring only the plastic grocery sacks into transition the morning of the race.  The plastic bags work well after the race for wet/gross gear pickup.

2. How big of a towel should I use to set my stuff on?  Right now I have a 12"x24".  Is this too much or too little?  I use a bright yellow baby blanket.  Works well, and I fold it up if I need to.  Very good for helping to find my area quickly during transition.

3. I've seen different suggestions for cleaning your feet during T1, would you recommend using just a towel or using a water bottle to spray them off and then a towel?  I use one of the clothes that you get from the hospital when you get stitches.  A reusable baby diaper would also work well - VERY absorbant.

4. While I've seen videos on how to strip my wetsuit off, I haven't seen where to put it during T1.  Do I lay it over the bike rack or leave it crumpled on the ground like a pair of dirty underwear?  I've usually had to leave it in a small pile in my transition area or shoved back into a bag hanging from the rack.

5.  Would you recommend taking an extra tube/change kit with me on the bike? Sprint course, 15 miles, flat road.  I would recommend NEVER riding without it.  Not even during a race.

6.  I've got a race belt, should I put my number on before the bike or before the run?  Rules state before the run.  Any advantages/disadvantages either way?  I put my number on before the bike and ride with it on my butt, then turn it around and run with it on my front.  Most races I've done have required number on the bike and the run.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!

2012-05-08 11:33 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Is this the thread where we tell the new guy to go get us a left handed screw driver?

Best of luck, you'll be fine!

2012-05-08 11:52 AM

User image

Master
Denison Texas

My first Tri is on May 20th and now that I'm less than two weeks away I'm starting to focus on "the little things".  For me that means transitions and transition area.  I have some questions that I haven't seen answered in previous threads.  Please forgive the elemenatry nature of these questions, I have no problem finishing DFL but I don't want to finish DFL and be "that guy" in transition.

As far as training goes, I think I'm ready.  I've had my poor me, self doubt week and have packed away the gremlins.  Practiced setting up my transition area over the weekend which drove the questions above.  I'll run through transitions this weekend and my final training day will be the 17th.  Nutrition is set and trained with and meals the day before are forecasted as well.  I'm really excited but really nervous at the same time.

Thanks to all the help, support, and advice on these boards.  Whether directed to me personally or another poster the wealth of knowledge and encouragement has been fantastic.  Thanks for the inspiration and thank you in advance for answering my questions.

I know it is close, but is there any chance of finding a tri someplace that you can watch or even volunteer to help? It can be very educational and help with the confidence in knowing what to expect.

2012-05-08 11:59 AM
in reply to: #4197465

User image

mrbbrad - 2012-05-08 11:33 AM

Is this the thread where we tell the new guy to go get us a left handed screw driver?

Best of luck, you'll be fine!

Or remind him to call in an activate his chip?  Oh wait.  I'm supposed to do that on race day.  Dangit.

2012-05-08 12:07 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Remember the bucket.  Carry your stuff in it, flip it to sit and take your wetsuit off.
2012-05-08 12:29 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

1. Depends on the race. Personally, I put my bag (along with a change of clothes, handiwipes, deoderant,e tc.) and leave it in my car if that's possible.

2. I have a T-Mat (pictured below), which I totally thought was lame until I won one. I wouldn't BUY one, but it's handy to have now that I've got one. It's about a foot and a half by two feet. Before that, I used a bath towel folded up. Like with my bag...I try to err on teh side of small.

3. I've never bothered with cleaning them off. If push came  to shove, I'd probably give them a squirt from a water bottle if I REALLY had to.

4. Wherever there's space. It's kind of the law of the jungle at that point--but do TRY and be respectful of other people's stuff. If you're going to chuck it, don't drench the guy next to you's shoes by throwing it on them.

5. This is entirely personal preference. I do not carry a spare kit. Many people do.

6. Unless required, I don't put my belt on until the run. You can grab it (and your hat, glasses, etc.) and put them on as you are running, so it's a time saver that way.

GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN!!!

Edited by mmrocker13 2012-05-08 12:30 PM
2012-05-08 12:40 PM

Another few ideas for you....make sure your running shoes are untied when you set-up your stuff.  It's a simple way to lose time in T2, so make sure they're untied before you leave the transition area for the swim.  (Yes, that was a rookie mistake that I made in my first race.)

Also, be prepared if its raining.  In other words, your towel on the ground might not be all that helpful if its wet.  You asked about getting sand off your feet in T1 - if everything is wet/semi-wet, it's not as easy as brushing your feet on your towel.  My suggestion is to put a small hand towel in a plastic bag or a ziploc to keep it dry.  (Lesson learned from my first race.)

Last piece of unsolicited advice...do as much as you can to prepare, but be mindful that T1 and T2 can be very chaotic and Murphy's law reigns.  There are folks everywhere moving in all sort of directions, so be prepared for the unprepared.  (Lesson learned from *every* race)

Good luck!

2012-05-08 12:41 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas City

My first tri (KC Sprint) is also on May 20.  Awesome questions, and lots of good advice in here.

2012-05-08 12:59 PM

User image

Regular
Ankeny

Thanks for all the responses and advice, it helps a lot!

Note: I was born at night, but not last night. Tongue out

2012-05-08 2:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Syracuse, NY
BigN321 - 2012-05-08 11:50 AM

1. What do I do with my transition bag after setting up my gear?  Do I take it back to my car or leave it in the transition area,,.... car would be nice or if allowed off to the side away from transition or with someone coming to watch you. Don't crowd transition area odds are there will be someone to the left and someone to the right of you. If you don't wanna be 'that guy' don't set up camp.

2. How big of a towel should I use to set my stuff on?  Right now I have a 12"x24".  Is this too much or too little? I use a towel at the beach, pool, shower... never in transition

3. I've seen different suggestions for cleaning your feet during T1, would you recommend using just a towel or using a water bottle to spray them off and then a towel?spray em down if necessary and go. if you use socks put some powder in them to help get em on or if you go without socks put some powder in your bike shoes. FWIW, in a sprint there is not need for socks.

4. While I've seen videos on how to strip my wetsuit off, I haven't seen where to put it during T1.  Do I lay it over the bike rack or leave it crumpled on the ground like a pair of dirty underwear? where your bike was over the rack is fine. If you leave it crumpled you are 'that guy' making transition hell for everyone around you. I'd have no qualms doing whatever I had to do to get your things out of my little area...

5.  Would you recommend taking an extra tube/change kit with me on the bike? Sprint course, 15 miles, flat road. i always carry an extra tube

6.  I've got a race belt, should I put my number on before the bike or before the run?  Rules state before the run.  Any advantages/disadvantages either way?if the rules state this then why is there a question for this? but to answer your question, you run the risk of losing it while on the bike...

for a sprint you need in transition:  bike, 1 gel, 1 water bottle on the bike, bike shoes, running shoes, helmet, sunglasses, wetsuit, race belt... feed off the course if needed. The more you have in transition the more time you will spend in it. Think about what you run and bike with while training and that is what a race is like... just more amped up. No need for buckets or blankets. Take time away from your opponents, don't give them extra time.

You'll do great just focus... again race day is training day with adrenaline x10000. Practice your mount/dismount and getting in your running shoes.

Get your feet wet... literally... and then see what works for you... drying them off (if necessary), getting in socks/bike shoes etc. We can give you all the advice in the world but in the end what's best is what works for you.

In the end, like anything, the more you do something the better you will do it. As my sensai would tell us... practice DOESN'T make perfect.... PERFECT practice makes perfect.

2012-05-08 2:57 PM

User image

Pro
BigN321 - 2012-05-08 11:50 AM

You can leave it in transition as long as it's out of the way. Usually people leave them along the fencing or at the end of the rack away from where you'd run in/out.

That's about the right size. Depending on how many people and how tightly they pack people onto racks, it can get crowded. In the excitement it can be a little crazy and you can run past your bike rack or not see your bike if it's a pretty common one. I have a new P2 and they are everywhere, so I went to Walmart and bought a 12x24  day-glow green towel for $1.97. No way will I miss my spot now!

Haven't done either, they are usually good enough from the run into transition.

Ideally on the rack, but if the racks are really packed, next to your towel so nobody will trip over it.

I have a pack made up of tube, Co2, inflator, and tire levers. The whole thing is shrink wrapped and rubber banded under the seat. It's always there, just in case.

Not really, just don't forget it on the run and make sure it's secured somewhere. Last weekend my race belt had blown halfway down the rack and I wasted time looking for it!

Have a great time, I am pretty much a noob too, and every race is a learning experience. Did my first one last summer and my 4th last week.

It's utterly addicting, fun, and rewarding. Don't worry about what goes wrong, something will, but focus on what you did right and enjoy the experience. And then go back and practice and work on the other stuff

Edited by BrianRunsPhilly 2012-05-08 3:00 PM
2012-05-08 4:06 PM

User image

Master
Denison Texas

This has been well answered here.at the fence or at the rack if there is room. I make it a point to arrive very early-like 30 to 1 hr before transition opens. Unless there are assigned spots as opposed to just an assigned rack I can usually snag and end spot near the aisle or lane-a little more room and easier to find

I am a minimalist and the more tris I do the less I bring. The most crowded TA was at Branson 70.3, the KC tri was similar-no room for a towel anyway. I would skip it

If it is even needed-just squirt them off with some water from your bottle-you probably won't need much on the bike anyway

Well answered alrady-it will be obvious when you come out of the water

Yes

I keep it in my shoe so it won't blow away-one shoe has the race belt the other has my hat. In the past I have used elastic laces, now my running shoes stay tied all the time but at just the right tightness to pull on and off without messing with the laces. Put the belt on asyou are running out of the transition area-as a rule never do anything standing still that can't be done moving forward.

2012-05-08 4:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona

Most of us put our transition bags by the sides of the fenced off area, away from the bike racks.  I have a small towel like you that I just fold up into an appropriate size given the amount of space you get as it really varies from tri to tri (e.g., last Saturdays' race was cramped and the bikes were so close together that they were "locking horns").  I have to admit that I usually don't bother cleaning my feet in T1, I just jam my socks and bike shoes on with what seems like half a grass field attached to them and I never seem to notice, until I finish and take my socks off and redecorate my whole house!  Ask if the organising committee provides wetsuit stripper volunteers, if so use them, as they are fantastic and will have your wetsuit removed in about 5-10 seconds.  I would put your timing chip underneath your wetsuit (if it's full length in the legs) as they have a hard time removing the wetsuit with the timing chip on top.  Don't worry about what to do beforehand as they will tell you exactly what to do when you get there.  And remember to thank them (and all the other volunteers).  If you want to finish the race then a tube/change kit would be useful, I yo-yo backwards and forwards about including one considering the sprint is such a short distance. I put on my race belt (and hat) as I'm shuffling out of the transition are (usually on rubber legs) as the flapping of it on the bike tends to annoy me. 

Good luck and have fun, fun, fun!

2012-05-08 5:17 PM

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Saw something about the race number and it blowing away.... since I wear my race belt on the bike and I now have aerobars, it's number belt first on the aerobars with the number down, then the helmet, then the gloves if applicable, then the sunglasses.  Reverse order of how I put them on, and other than shoes, no way I'll forget something for the bike (nutrition is already divided between the bike and race belt).

2012-05-08 6:15 PM
in reply to: #4198401

User image

Pro

GatorDeb - 2012-05-08 6:17 PM Saw something about the race number and it blowing away.... since I wear my race belt on the bike and I now have aerobars, it's number belt first on the aerobars with the number down, then the helmet, then the gloves if applicable, then the sunglasses.  Reverse order of how I put them on, and other than shoes, no way I'll forget something for the bike (nutrition is already divided between the bike and race belt).

I had it set up like this, but someone knocked into my bike getting theirs off the rack, so my helmet and everything in it got knocked off the bars. Grabbed the helmet and glasses off the ground and took off, forgot the bib.

Now I will put the bib in my sneaker. Every race is a learning experience.

Edited by BrianRunsPhilly 2012-05-08 6:16 PM
2012-05-08 7:04 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Just a friendly FYI, a couple of months ago we had a great video article by a USAT official.  It covered some of the transition questions you posted and a few other topics that you may want to understand more prior to the first tri.  I'll look for the link for you.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=2440

Try this:  

Edited by QueenZipp 2012-05-08 7:05 PM
2012-05-08 7:53 PM

User image

Elite

I remember my first tri and how nervous and apprehensive I was about transition - you will work it out fine!

Tips I got from my very experienced friend - if it looks like rain, leave your running shoes upsided down so they don't fill with water, socks inside them too if you're not wearing them to ride.  Then Towel on top of the runners!  This was the best tip ever because my first tri it was pouring down!

Wetsuit I tend to discard like undies!

2012-05-08 7:56 PM

Regular
In terms of cleaning off your feet there is something that I do that I haven't seen posted yet. I keep a bike water bottle by my transition area (open already) and use that to spray off any dirt/sand/debris from my feet. Then opposed to taking time to drying my feet off with a hand towel I just have baby powder in my bike shoes. As soon as you slip your feet into your shoes the baby powder absorbs all the moisture. I also keep some in my running shoes to absorb any excess perspiration (and I find it helps with blisters).  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mission: Not to be "that guy" during my first Tri! Rss Feed  

of 1