World Triathlon Corporation
85F / 29C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 27m 9s
Overall Rank = 339/594
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 41/73
Event warmup:

We needed to swim out to an island for the swim start. That was a nice 5 minute warmup but I think waiting on the island for 40 minutes for the race to begin killed the warmup.
Swim
  • 41m 16s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was raining so there was some light chop, not horrible but enough to get a couple of saltwater mouthfuls during the 1.2 miles. Had to stop once for a few seconds after swallowing a full gulp. This was my first swim without a wetsuit and it went pretty well. Didn't get kicked at all and only slightly pushed.
What would you do differently?:

Could have & should have pushed a little harder. I know I can do this swim in under 40 minutes. Need to prove it next time.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

T1 time is estimated since they didn't provide it for some reason. Swim time they provided was 43:16 which included time in T1.

I should have put my bike shoes on instead of leaving them on the pedals. Either that or practice getting into them while riding. Lost about a minute getting them on while on the road.
Bike
  • 3h 27m 6s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.22 mile/hr
Comments:

My main goal for the race was to climb the beast without getting off the bike. I'm happy to report that was accomplished!! Saw many others riders that looked stronger than me getting off and walking, felt great to pass them and make it all the way to the top. It rained for about half the bike leg then got pretty steamy. Roads were very wet with large puddles and a lot of running water across them. Rides where getting flats everywhere, I've never seen so many. Was very fortunate not to get one.
Transition 2
  • 03m
Comments:

T2 time is estimated since they didn't provide it. Bike time they provided was 3:30:06 which included time in T2
Run
  • 2h 13m 47s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Thank god there was no sun but it was still hot and humid. Was able to keep a good pace (under 9:00) for the first few miles and then averaged just slightly over 9:00 for the 1st half (1 hr). Could not keep it up for the 2nd half and didn't accomplish my goal of finishing the run in under 2. The aid stations were awesome. Every .7 miles about. Put ice in my hat and hands at almost everyone to help stay cool. Stomach was bothering me a bit in the middle, too much liquids I think, but then settled down.

Walked through each aid station and had to walk on the course about half a dozen times.

I left most of it but not all on the course. Didn't want to risk pushing any harder because of the heat.
Post race
Warm down:

The hotel was right there by transition. Got my stuff, went back to the room, took a shower, and came down for a massage.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat!

Event comments:

Incredible experience, very challenging and hot course. Most people participating where hard core age groupers. It was great to be able to finish with an OK time. Would like to do this again on a sunny day to experience the full beauty of this course.

Last updated: 2012-01-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:16 | 2112 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 41/73
Overall: 371/594
Performance:
Suit: Speed Suit
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:27:06 | 56 miles | 16.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 41/73
Overall: 361/594
Performance:
Wind:
Course: 1,824 feet of elevation gain & descent including "the beast" which is a .7 mile climb with sections ranging from 12% to 17%.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal