General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Steelhead vs. MI Titanium Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-05-08 9:29 PM

User image

New user

Subject: Steelhead vs. MI Titanium

I am thinking about a half iron assuming my olympic races which I have trained hard and then some for go well.  I would do this simply for the experience and not to race.  Which would you suggest for a first time half iron man?  Which would be the harder of the two?  How do the courses compare if anyone knows?  I'm in Grand Rapids so the Titanium would be more convenient for travel reasons but St. Joe's isn't all that far to travel either.

Joel   

2012-05-09 12:26 AM
in reply to: #4198797

Subject: RE: Steelhead vs. MI Titanium

Well here is my opinion.  I have not done either race to be clear.  However after reading threads and posts on this site for the past few years, it seems steelhead is a gamble.  The swim is iffy, depending on the weather and lake conditions.  It could very well turn out to be a Du-Athlon and not a TRI.  The event is an Ironman owned by WTC whom cancels events base on if they sell out or not.

Michigan Titanium is a local event.  In a business comparison WTC takes the money out of the community and it goes to the headquarters.  The Michigan group is part of our community.  My personal opinion is I will support a local, before a global corporation.

The Titanium is in a smaller inland lake so the odds of the swim being cancelled due to high swells are non-existent.  The bike course is just awesome.  I admit I have not ridden it; I drove the course a few weeks ago from start to finish.  It will not be a flat boring course.  The run course is twisty and it was partly shaded.  Again I drove it, the first week of April.  Most of the branches hanging over the course did not yet have foliage on them.  The nice thing about the run course at least to me is the twisty part.  I find that running down a long flat road to be, depressing.

The bike course had little spots along the route, like churches, schools and even a few ice cream shops.  These are places that family could gather and wave to you on the way by and have something to do.  A lot of the course was rural farm type area.

I can’t comment on the Steelhead run/bike course. 

2012-05-09 7:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI

I've done Steelhead twice.  Both times I got lucky and the swim wasn't cancelled, though that first year it was a close call as the weather was crap.

The course is great - doing a point to point swim is nice, the bike is relatively flat (except for a long 18 mile home stretch which has an annoying uphill grade to it and the wind tends to be in your face).  And the run is very nice too.  You go out, then do 2 laps of the Whirlpool campus then head back in.

So as far as experiencing a WTC event, Steelhead is a good one.  However, the drawbacks.....its packed.  There are a ton of racers so it will be crowded...swim, bike, and run - it never seems to thin out much.  I don't mind that myself - I draw a lot of energy having more racers around me, but I know it bothers a lot of other people.  The main thing I don't like about Steelhead, though, is their attitude and their disregard for the families/friends of the racers.  There may or may not be a food vending truck there for them so they should pack their own snacks and drinks.  The only thing for them to really do is hang out on the beach (its a really nice beach tho, so if the weather is nice, then that's not so bad).  The parking is all offsite.  They have shuttles for the athletes that run in the morning prior to T1 being closed...any family/friends showing up later tho are going to be out of luck - they'll have a long walk.  And as for the attitude, its a little hard to explain - its a bit snobbish - they're "Ironman" and they can do what they want.  The first time I did it was my first HIM and I was so psyched to finish that that didn't bother me. The second year, though, I really noticed it and it was almost a letdown crossing the finish line.  While the spectators were cheering, the announcer was doing other things not paying attention and there was no mention of me crossing the line. Then I had to get in a long line and wait for 15 minutes to get my finisher shirt.

That said, if you're interested in a good course, then Steelhead is a good one(if the weather holds).  I have no regrets doing it and would recommend it to anyone do try at least once.  Just don't get caught up in the IM brand.  56.1 is 56.1 whether its put on by IM, Rev3, or any other group.

2012-05-09 9:03 AM

"56.1 is 56.1 whether its put on by IM, Rev3, or any other group."

Is there a new distance that I am not aware of?

2012-05-09 9:52 AM

User image

Expert
, Michigan
For me it was either MI Titanium Full or Ironman Louisville. I went with the Mi Titanium. It's closer, the inaugural year (a kind of badge of honor), locally organized, and not WTC. I don't have anything necessarily inherently against WTC, but when I did Steelhead last year, it seemed so commercial and money driven, that I kind of vowed to try to test the field of the other race organizations. Also, as others have said, the swim at Steelhead is 50/50. It was my A race last year, and my first HIM ... until it turned into a long course Duathalon. I scrambled to find another HIM and ended up doing the 3 Disciplines race on Lake Huron to fulfill my HIM desires. My vote ... do MI Titanium.
2012-05-09 10:03 AM
in reply to: #4199407

User image

Extreme Veteran
Milford, MI
borsenik9 - 2012-05-09 10:03 AM

"56.1 is 56.1 whether its put on by IM, Rev3, or any other group."

Is there a new distance that I am not aware of?

Good god I'm an idiot that's what happens when I try to write something without first having coffee I hope everyone realizes I meant 70.3. Not sure where I came up with that number

2012-05-09 10:27 AM

User image

Grand Rapids

Hey Joel,

Here are my two cents:  

STEELHEAD:

I volunteered 2 years ago @Steelhead and thought it was a very well run event.  There was a lot of excitement and every participant I spoke with was having a great time.  

As others have mentioned, there are chances that it will be turned into a DU having the swim in Lake Michigan.  A bummer for sure after training that hard for an event.  I've heard good things about the course otherwise.  

There are a lot of people at this event.  Moving around/trying to get refreshments can be a bit challenging at times post-race.  

MITI:

I am the run coordinator for the MiTi, so I can tell you what I know about the event thus far, seeing that it is a first year event.

The swim is in Versluis Lake, a small man-made lake that doesn't allow gas engine boats.  The water should be fairly calm and warmer than the big lake.

The bike course is a quite scenic "lollipop" route with some rollers thrown in here and there.

The run course is slightly rolling as well.  We've run it a handful of times and enjoy the overall feel of the course quite a bit.  We're offering a training run on July 7th @ 9am w. Athletic Mentors to all who may be interested.  

Personally, I enjoy races where I'm able to train on the same course that I'll be "racing".  It takes most of the guesswork out of the equation.

We have a great group that is really looking forward to making this a great event that people will enjoy.

http://mititanium.com/

Chris

2012-05-11 7:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Berkley
I'm planning on signing up with my friend who lives in GR. We were debating what will be our "B" race this summer and picked this one. I can't wait to race it!
2012-05-12 1:39 PM

User image

New user

If I get up the guts to committ, I'm definitely leaning towards MiTi.  Thanks for all your thoughtful feedback.

2012-05-29 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4206253

User image

Fort Wayne, IN

MI Titanium sounds pretty good!  I am quickly realizing I'm not going to be ready for Muncie July 7th, so I was looking to reload later in the summer...sounds perfect.

Understanding this is the first one, but any guesses on wetsuit legal for that lake?  From the sounds of it, I would guess not that late in August?

2012-05-31 8:53 PM

It looks like none of you would be eligible for this, but in this thread I do want to mention that the same day as these other two HIMs, Epic Races will be putting on the Tri Goddess Tri Half.  (Would love to call lit the TGT 70.3, but not allowed to do that.)  The only other all women's half in the country is Barb's Race in conjunction with Vineman.  So... any ladies who are reading this thread, please consider this race as well!  Details are at www.epicraces.com

2012-06-01 3:27 PM

Champion
No excuses!

I have done Steelhead 3x and many others have summed up my main thoughts of it. I love "big" races and the feel and the excitement of them but there is a sort of "cockiness" with them about this is how we do it, we are obviously successful and if you don't like it who cares. I have only swam once. It is a really nice course though, but can be very busy on the bike and way too much drafting in my opinion. I really like the run course too, you are never alone out there.

I am on the fence for signing up for the full at MITI, drove the bike course last week and too me it seemed a little more than rolling.

2012-06-02 9:09 AM
in reply to: #4239805

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jenison , MI
Shermbelle - 2012-06-01 3:27 PM

I have done Steelhead 3x and many others have summed up my main thoughts of it. I love "big" races and the feel and the excitement of them but there is a sort of "cockiness" with them about this is how we do it, we are obviously successful and if you don't like it who cares. I have only swam once. It is a really nice course though, but can be very busy on the bike and way too much drafting in my opinion. I really like the run course too, you are never alone out there.

I am on the fence for signing up for the full at MITI, drove the bike course last week and too me it seemed a little more than rolling.

I have rode these streets a few times over the years. Other then the one climb in the first few miles it really is rolling. The momentum from one hill will just about put me over the next.
As for it being wetsuit legal, it's a good chance that it would be. Being it's a man made lake it's spring fed so that helps keep the temps down.
2012-06-18 8:37 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI USA

My two cents.  I did the GR Tri, which is affiliated with the MITI.  The GR Tri was very fun.  Great job by the staff!  Only did the sprint.  But, I feel like I am in pretty good shape ... so I am thinking like you to do a half.  Already I am signed up for the Chicago Olympic Lifetime, which is same date as MITI I think - so I could not do the MITI even if I wanted.

But, if I just had to choose between Steelhead IRONMAN 70.3 and MITI Half Tri (and I live in GR) ... I would still probably do the real deal Ironman.  I think if you are just starting out, and this is your first Half - you need to go all out and do a real deal IRONMAN bro. Make your next races local ones.

I am all for pumping up the local economy ... but it is not like the organizers are going to turn around and dump the money they make on the street.  And besides, people are going to sign up for the MITI, so do not feel bad about that.

I am sure the MITI is going to be sweet, but perhaps volunteer for it?  First half, IRONMAN for sure.  Sorry, but that is the way I feel.

2012-06-19 3:42 AM
in reply to: #4268222

drbnd - 2012-06-18 8:37 PM

My two cents.  I did the GR Tri, which is affiliated with the MITI.  The GR Tri was very fun.  Great job by the staff!  Only did the sprint.  But, I feel like I am in pretty good shape ... so I am thinking like you to do a half.  Already I am signed up for the Chicago Olympic Lifetime, which is same date as MITI I think - so I could not do the MITI even if I wanted.

But, if I just had to choose between Steelhead IRONMAN 70.3 and MITI Half Tri (and I live in GR) ... I would still probably do the real deal Ironman.  I think if you are just starting out, and this is your first Half - you need to go all out and do a real deal IRONMAN bro. Make your next races local ones.

I am all for pumping up the local economy ... but it is not like the organizers are going to turn around and dump the money they make on the street.  And besides, people are going to sign up for the MITI, so do not feel bad about that.

I am sure the MITI is going to be sweet, but perhaps volunteer for it?  First half, IRONMAN for sure.  Sorry, but that is the way I feel.

Why, Ironman for sure?  Is it just to say the name Ironman?  You say the real deal or go all out, are 70.3 miles in a Ironman longer then 70.3 miles in a local directed race?   The chances are it's going to be a 70.3 Duathalon, all it takes is a blow form the west and there goes the swim.

2012-06-19 4:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
As an economist your statement about not dumping the money on the street made me cringe. Spending money locally means that the local people have income to spend, most of which will be spent locally, thus income to other locals. Process repeats.

2012-06-19 6:54 AM
in reply to: #4268543

guppie58 - 2012-06-19 4:57 AM As an economist your statement about not dumping the money on the street made me cringe. Spending money locally means that the local people have income to spend, most of which will be spent locally, thus income to other locals. Process repeats.

Kind of what I was thinking

2012-06-19 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4268509

Regular
Puppetmaster - 2012-06-19 4:42 AM
drbnd - 2012-06-18 8:37 PM

chances are it's going to be a 70.3 Duathalon

Correction: 69.1 Duathalon

2012-06-19 4:29 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
After seeing how well the organizers did the Grand Rapids races last week and having done Steelhead I'd send you to the Titanium event without hesitation. I was so impressed with there race in GR I plan on going back next year. Unless you need 2000 people to race with because there all lemmings for the BS of Ironman brand you'll do fine there. I would love to do the race but with commitments in the UP on that Monday morning I can't make it work. PS your not an Ironman for having done 70.3 miles. That takes 140.6 to qualify that statement.
2012-06-19 5:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
I signed up for Steelhead three days before MIIRON was announced.  grrrr.
2012-06-19 8:44 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI USA
Uh oh. Started a forum war. I agree with everything everyone has said after. Should have thought out my statement further before posting. I realize the favorable economic impact events like this can generate - clearly I just could not eloquently state it like the economist respectfully. I agree with the IRONMAN statement too, only finishing a half too, but hey - working on it. I am rethinking my stance on this. But yes, I am a beginner and have been caught up in the Ironman brand a bit ... I confess. But, have you seen that 1:14 minute video by ucaerospace on YouTube outlining the 2011 kona championships by NBC. Freaking awesome. I am sure I will calm down soon and see that a 70.3 is a 70.3 so on and so forth. Truly, I am just glad to be able to have found this sport so I can just keep in shape and keep up with the kids. Good luck to you all, and really it's all good. I am not to proud to admit when I have come off like a jacka**. Haha. I probably would have done MITI if I did not sign up for Chicago earlier. I am kind of a walking contradiction because I really even try to avoid IM branded merchandise because I don't want to be that guy. I hope I have redeemed myself with this post. Now back to the NBA finals and Durantula ...

2012-06-19 10:17 PM
in reply to: #4270569

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
I'll over pay to do a WTC Ironman 70.3 (steelhead) and any WTC full ironman I can get into next year.  I'll enjoy the experience but will then shift to more affordable races.  The GR tri was an awesome experience last year and this year.  I could be more than happy doing tri's organized in such a manor.
2012-06-20 10:16 AM
in reply to: #4270569

User image

in a van, down by the river

drbnd - 2012-06-19 9:44 PM Uh oh. Started a forum war. I agree with everything everyone has said after. Should have thought out my statement further before posting. I realize the favorable economic impact events like this can generate  ...

Dont go all apologetic on me here.   Please realize, WTC may take their profits elsewhere BUT the majority of the money gets spent putting on the event, ie: in the local community.   personnel, lodging, restaraunts, pubs, supplies etc.   

Also, there's no shame in doing a WTC "real IM brand" event.   I'm a newbie too, did my first 70.3 last week (GR Tri) and am gonna do my next one at a WTC event just to take in the whole high-profile event experience.  My recent half-iron had 34 guys in my AG, at Steelhead I can expect over 100.   That'll be cool.

And I can buy the stupid 'Ironman 70.3' sticker for my car.  Victim of marketing ? Maybe, but its cool.  Don't let all the guys around here make you feel inferior for wanting to be part of the big show.   It's part of the fun.

2012-06-20 10:51 AM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI USA
Cool, cool.  Thanks.
2012-06-20 12:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelsea, MI

I'm in for Steelhead since I was declined the 70.3 in Boise.  The funny thing is if they cancel the swim at Steelhead I guess I'll have done the distance in the course of a season.......

I would have done the MiTi if I had thought of it.  Maybe next year after I get a WTC'd up at CDA in 2013 (if it isn't discontinued). 

Good luck and I look forward to hearing the race reports to find out how this race pans out.    

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Steelhead vs. MI Titanium Rss Feed  

of 2