General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Confused .. Need Help!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-09 6:16 AM

Subject: Confused .. Need Help!!

Hiya .. 

I have only just decided that i want to get into triathlons and im confused about the training. Im quite skinny and feel i need to improve my strength and size .... but i also love doing my cardio and dont want effect that. Heres my training plan at the moment ... 

Mon - Run/Cycle then a few leg exercises

Tues - Full body weight session

Weds - Morning swim and short evening run

Thurs - Full body weight session

Fri - Cycle/Swim

Sat- Full body weight session

Sun - Rest

Can anyone help and tell me if thats enough for me to gain size and tone up .... but also improve my fitness for triathlons??

thank you

2012-05-09 6:28 AM
in reply to: #4199030

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Confused .. Need Help!!

The first thing you need to do is prioritize your goals.  Is it a higher priority to gain size & strength, or to get faster at triathlon?  If it's the first, then I'd suggest either adopting a proven strength & size program, such as Stronglifts 5x5 or hiring a personal trainer.  If it's the second, then check out the tri training plans here on BT, or talk to a tri coach.  Your training will look very different depending on what your goals are.

Trying to do both at the same time (gain strength/size and get faster at s/b/r) will result in lackluster improvements overall.

ETA: I almost forgot... Welcome to BT!!

Edited by TriMyBest 2012-05-09 6:30 AM
2012-05-09 6:43 AM
in reply to: #4199046

Thank you for the advice ... Im not looking to get big, just want to increase my strength so i can perform better. So maybe ill concentrate on that for a few months and just do a couple of cardio sessions a week. Then really go for the s,b and r ... and just maintain my strength with a couple of weight sessions!!
2012-05-15 12:01 AM
in reply to: #4199077

Elite
Denver, Colorado
What Dan said is spot on - I learned it the hard way.

claude7 - 2012-05-09 6:43 AM

Thank you for the advice ... Im not looking to get big, just want to increase my strength so i can perform better. So maybe ill concentrate on that for a few months and just do a couple of cardio sessions a week. Then really go for the s,b and r ... and just maintain my strength with a couple of weight sessions!!

This plan could work, but if you really want to focus on gaining strength I would make your cardio days more like anaerobic conditioning days. This means doing short, intense conditioning workouts such as jumping rope or sprinting up a hill. These types of conditioning sessions focus on the faster twitch muscles so they will enhance your strength workouts. If you really feel like you need to do a onger, slower cardio session, then do one such session per week and the other do the higher intensity session.
2012-05-16 9:53 AM
in reply to: #4199077

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

claude7 - 2012-05-09 7:43 AM

Im not looking to get big, just want to increase my strength so i can perform better.

If your goal is to perform better in SBR, then you need to SBR more.  Strength train less, or not at all, for that goal.  You are not limited by strength in those sports.  You are limited by endurance.  To most effectively build your endurance, perform the task in which you want to gain better performance.  And then repeat.

Welcome to BT!

2012-05-31 4:05 PM
in reply to: #4212661

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
JohnnyKay - 2012-05-16 10:53 AM

claude7 - 2012-05-09 7:43 AM

Im not looking to get big, just want to increase my strength so i can perform better.

If your goal is to perform better in SBR, then you need to SBR more.  Strength train less, or not at all, for that goal.  You are not limited by strength in those sports.  You are limited by endurance.  To most effectively build your endurance, perform the task in which you want to gain better performance.  And then repeat.

Welcome to BT!

Totally agree here! 

It also helps to ask yourself, what does "better at triathlons" mean to you?  Faster overall?  Faster run?  Faster bike?  What?  Do you want to be that guy who sails thru the race easily and then kills the run at the end? Or do you wanna be the guy who destroys the bike and doesn't have to run that fast at the end to keep your place?  I'm the former...I like to ease my way thru the race and then kill the run...I'm a runner...it's what I do...so that's how I train.

If you want to increase your endurance you most certainly need to increase your training volume...just as everyone has said before.  If you want to be able to increase your power and have extra energy to spare, I would agree with the high intensity interval training ideas.

Hell...why not get better at EVERYTHING?  When I wanted to get "better" in triathlon (and I'm talking age group awards and elite times) I started increasing my volume on weekends, shortening but INTENSIFYING my midweek workouts, and started doing CrossFit as my strength training.  It's like cardio with weights...you get leaner, faster, stronger, bigger, etc. 

At first, everyone here balked at me.  Then I started running 3:04 standalone marathons and 3:20's at the end of 10 hour Ironmans...aha!!  I started winning my age group in every 5K and started qualifying for Age Group Nationals in Oly Distance.  It worked! I not only became a faster runner, but my swim improved by leaps and bounds, and my bike speeds went nuts!

I'm addicted now...as I have been for almost six years now.  I love triathlon as much as I love running and CrossFit.

Welcome to BT...so much cool stuff to learn here!

2012-05-31 10:35 PM

User image

look into kettlebell training, rope training and tire training. Conventional weight training may give you some "t-shirt" muscles but as far as funtional strength  it's a waste of time.
2012-06-01 11:59 AM
in reply to: #4238440

User image

Master

Related question...does anyone know a place to get some good ropes that WON'T cost me 800 bux for a 10 foot piece???

I use KB's in my every day training, and I have tires available for my use, but I need ropes...and with a limited budget it's VERY hard to find a rope with a suitable weight that make it possible for a good workout. 

2012-06-01 1:16 PM
in reply to: #4239370

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Q - 2012-06-01 12:59 PM

Related question...does anyone know a place to get some good ropes that WON'T cost me 800 bux for a 10 foot piece???

I use KB's in my every day training, and I have tires available for my use, but I need ropes...and with a limited budget it's VERY hard to find a rope with a suitable weight that make it possible for a good workout. 

I'm assuming that you're talking about battle ropes or similar.

Check out www.powersystems.com or www.sportsmith.com  They both carry 30'-40' ropes for around $145.

We have some of both at the health club where I work.

2012-06-01 4:03 PM
in reply to: #4239542

User image

Master
TriMyBest - 2012-06-01 2:16 PM
Q - 2012-06-01 12:59 PM

I'm assuming that you're talking about battle ropes or similar.

Check out www.powersystems.com or www.sportsmith.com  They both carry 30'-40' ropes for around $145.

We have some of both at the health club where I work.

Sweet...yes exactly what I needed!  Thanks!

2012-06-07 1:40 AM

Usually I do a warm up set then 2 sets of 6 reps for most exercises besides for deadlift (usually reps of 3) and certain leg exercises (round reps of 12). private placement memorandum

Edited by carloshcheney 2012-06-07 1:48 AM

2012-07-08 2:22 AM

User image

Regular
Portland

I have only focused on Tri training and have gained alot of strength and volume. The nature of training hard for three sports will help you get more strength and size. Just train hard. I'm on the 3x Oly plan here on BT and I also take a boxing class once a week and do a strength workout once a week. But seriously if you are really putting in the effort you will see a big difference.

But you have to put in the effort.

Best of luck from another Newb.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Confused .. Need Help!! Rss Feed