Fat Rabbit Racing
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 08m 1s
Overall Rank = 35/35
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5 am - had a bowl of shredded wheat with strawberries & banana and took off for the race
Event warmup:

A little walking, a little jogging, a little stretching. Race was delayed 1/2 hour due to fog, so probably overdid the warmup.
Run
  • 20m 34s
  • 2 miles
  • 10m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Had some stomach issues before the race began, but they didn't bother me during the race. I went out too fast, trying to keep up with the pack, when I know better.... It's hard not to get caught up in the moment when everyone else is faster and I want to keep up with them when it's just not possible for me (right now!)
What would you do differently?:

Remember to run my own race
Transition 1
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Transition was not an issue - I biked using the same shoes I ran in, and only had to put on gloves & helmet & grab my bike.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 04m 35s
  • 15.7 miles
  • 14.59 mile/hr
Comments:

Was never comfortable on the bike. I just couldn't relax - Don't know why, I feel like it was just a constant major effort. I did some staining and painting earlier this week, which effected my hands, and I had to repeatedly flex them to keep them from tingling too much. I also had saddle "issues" - guess I need to do some more adjustment on my saddle, because it got very uncomfortable early in the ride and I had to keep shifting positions, which resulted in a saddle sore. I had a few sips of water and Powerade, but not nearly as much as I should have. I had a gel about 10 miles into the bike, but didn't follow it up with enough water. I do feel like I handled the hills well (there weren't many!) and I did manage to pass a couple of people along the way.

Train more on the bike. I keep putting it off, and it just makes for miserable racing. I've got to commit to more hours on the bike!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

T2 not a big deal - Took off helmet & gloves and headed out for the last run.

Nothing
Run
  • 41m 15s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 13m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

More struggles on the run..... When I left T2, my right calf started cramping and it took me a mile alternating running and walking to get it worked out. I was pretty much spent by this time, and went into autopilot, counting steps and concentrating on getting my legs to keep moving. I did maintain a jog except through the drink stations, but it was a really slow jog. As usual, I got my final rush of adrenaline at the finish and got over the line.

Lack of hydration was probably my main problem during the second run. That and the fact that I pushed too hard the first two legs and just didn't have much left for the final run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched, had a FREE massage

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My old and out of condition body!

Event comments:

With all of my problems through this race, it was still a good race. I made it through the finish line and pushed myself as hard as I could. I didn't spend the morning sitting on the couch watching television and continued on my journey to be healthy and fit. That's what it is all about for me, and I need to remember that when I get frustrated for not performing better. I've made huge improvement from last year, and I just can't ask for more. I'm giving as much as I can and pushing myself as hard as I can. It frustrates me that I train as much as I do and I'm not faster, but I'm making steps in the right direction, and I've got to keep plugging along and not expecting everything at once. I spent 40 years abusing my body, and now expect it to do things its never done before. It's going to take some time.

Last updated: 2006-04-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:34 | 02 miles | 10m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/2
Overall: 0/35
Performance: Good
Avg HR 164 - Max 171
Course: Straight shot out and back along the Buckeye Lake shore.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 01:14
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Below average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:04:35 | 15.7 miles | 14.59 mile/hr
Performance:
Average HR 158 - Max 166
Wind: Some
Course: Paved road mostly in good condition from Millersport to Reynoldsburg
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:41:15 | 03.1 miles | 13m 19s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Average HR 161 - Max 172
Course: Paved road - 1.5 miles out and back. A couple of early hills then relatively flat
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-27 9:27 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Subject: Vineyard Living Well Duathlon

2006-05-27 10:27 PM
in reply to: #436342

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Vineyard Living Well Duathlon
Way to fight through all the issues and finish! It will all come with time. The hardest thing is to not compete against others but against yourself. Keep it going and start working towards the next one.
2006-05-28 9:51 AM
in reply to: #436342

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: Vineyard Living Well Duathlon

It frustrates me that I train as much as I do and I'm not faster, but I'm making steps in the right direction, and I've got to keep plugging along and not expecting everything at once

Amen, Sister!!!  I get that way every time I race, but we just have to keep reminding ourselves where we were before all this started!  Great job in sticking with it! woo-hoo!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vineyard Living Well Duathlon Rss Feed