General Discussion Triathlon Talk » VFFs and long distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-09 12:32 PM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Subject: VFFs and long distance
Been running in VFFs for over a year now and really like them on runs up to about 13 miles.  After that, my feet start to ache and can be sore for a couple of days.  I'm just getting into regular 13+ runs and was wondering if anyone runs long distance in VFFs.  Will my feet eventually toughen up or do I need to go w/ a more supportive shoe?

2012-05-09 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4200018

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: VFFs and long distance
I know people who have worn them for marathons (or even run barefoot).  But if your feet are sore at 13 miles, I'm guessing they are not for you right now.  Either up your distance much more gradually, or consider shoes (for longer runs, at least).
2012-05-09 1:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City
Which VFF are you wearing?  Some have thicker padding that may help...
2012-05-09 1:21 PM

User image

DC
Just wondering: Do you have other shoes (w/regular padding) that you use? If so, why bother doing long runs in VFF? 
2012-05-09 2:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD

I did a half marathon in regular shoes at the weekend and my feet were sore after 13 miles. It's not the shoes, it's the distance. I assume if you keep training it gets better. YMMV.

2012-05-09 4:02 PM

User image

Pewaukee, WI
I do all my running in VFFs, marathons, HIM, IM, everything, and I love them. I initially switched to them due to bad shin splints in regular shoes. The only long distance race I did in another shoe (New Balance Minimus Trail) was a 50K trail race, I chose the Minimus over the VFFs for traction but the concept is the same as VFFs.

When I started running in VFFs I would get sore in all sorts of places that I didn't even realize were there, and feet were no exception! I just took it slow as I increased distance and listened to my body, if I felt something was getting more than just "sore" I would back off until it was better. The foot soreness I experienced ranged from soles to arch to even the top for a while but eventually my feet "got in shape" and they don't get sore at all anymore regardless of the distance I run.

So in my personal experience, yes my feet "toughened up" over time.

2012-05-09 5:25 PM
in reply to: #4200581

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio

scaulfield - 2012-05-09 4:02 PM I do all my running in VFFs, marathons, HIM, IM, everything, and I love them. I initially switched to them due to bad shin splints in regular shoes. The only long distance race I did in another shoe (New Balance Minimus Trail) was a 50K trail race, I chose the Minimus over the VFFs for traction but the concept is the same as VFFs.

When I started running in VFFs I would get sore in all sorts of places that I didn't even realize were there, and feet were no exception! I just took it slow as I increased distance and listened to my body, if I felt something was getting more than just "sore" I would back off until it was better. The foot soreness I experienced ranged from soles to arch to even the top for a while but eventually my feet "got in shape" and they don't get sore at all anymore regardless of the distance I run.

How did they help your shin splints?  Did it change your foot strike?   

2012-05-09 5:28 PM
in reply to: #4200581

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC

scaulfield - 2012-05-09 5:02 PM I do all my running in VFFs, marathons, HIM, IM, everything, and I love them. I initially switched to them due to bad shin splints in regular shoes. The only long distance race I did in another shoe (New Balance Minimus Trail) was a 50K trail race, I chose the Minimus over the VFFs for traction but the concept is the same as VFFs.

Thanks, that makes me feel better.  I just got a pair of merrell trails and ran 13.5 today with pretty much the same result and much less of the "feel of the earth" that I enjoy with VFFs.  Fortunately, I bought the merrells from REI so I can return them (love that store's return anything anytime any reason policy).  I think I'll just be patient with my body and more diligent with the post workout ice baths.

2012-05-09 5:40 PM
in reply to: #4200753

User image

Pewaukee, WI

Shin splints are now non existent, they stopped right away after starting to use the VFFs.

As for my foot strike, it changed to a fore/midfoot right away, for me I didn't even have to think about it as heel striking in VFFs would be painful!

2012-05-09 5:47 PM
in reply to: #4200781

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio
scaulfield - 2012-05-09 5:40 PM

Shin splints are now non existent, they stopped right away after starting to use the VFFs.

As for my foot strike, it changed to a fore/midfoot right away, for me I didn't even have to think about it as heel striking in VFFs would be painful!

How long had you been running in your regular shoes prior to switching?   I saw you did a 50k trail in a regular shoe.  Were your shin splints consistent the entire time training for this race?  I ask, because I have been running for over a year now, and have consistently upped my mileage, haven't over run, etc but I am plagued every now and then with persistent shin splints.  Can go one week fine, the next week they are constant.  

2012-05-09 6:24 PM

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC

Hey Scaulfield,

Welcome to BT! and thanks for the info.

2012-05-10 9:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Torrance, CA

Assuming you're running with the proper technique - any pain you're getting will go away (splints, foot pain, etc). 

If you're still feeling those pains and you've logged some time in them - then maybe barefoot running isn't for you (it's not for everyone).  ESPECIALLY if you aren't running with the right stride.

Just an observation I see a lot (not necessarily saying this applies to anyone):  People get in minimalist shoes or VFF and then start mashing their heels because they're doing a combination of a barefoot strike and their previous running strike.  I see it all the time on the trails (yeah yeah, I'm the "heel striker" guy  *sigh*).  The benefit of these shoes is nullified if not used correctly (just like anything else in life).

That said, if used correctly, you should have no problem doing any distance in VFF or other minimalist/barefoot shoes.

2012-05-10 9:48 AM

User image

Queens/Nassau County
Another vote for the VFFs. I swear by them. Ive never gone past 15 miles yet, and I think any soreness is just your feet/legs building up. Have patience and listen to your legs. They'll let you know when to ease up and when they want more.
2012-05-10 9:49 AM

User image

Queens/Nassau County
However I have run a few Half marathons in them and I intend to run the Hamptons full marathon in Sept. Also, the Bikilas are the best for running IMO. I have tried 3 different types of VFFs and I love the bikilas best for running.
2012-05-10 9:57 AM
in reply to: #4200794

User image

Pewaukee, WI

I had only been running in regular shoes for about 6 Months before I switched so i had the benefit of still being a new runner when I started using VFFs. The shin splints went away and i never looked back.

For the 50k trail I ran in New Balance Minimus Trail shoes and while they are not VFFs they are the same concept, minimal with no cushion or heel to toe drop. I wore them instead of VFFs because it was a fairly technical trail in spots and the minimus have a tread pattern better suited for trails. Vibram now makes a trail specific model and I will most likely switch to it for future trail running.

As for training for the 50k i never really trained specifically for that race. The race was in October and I had just done IMWI in September so I had the base from all the training i did for that, all of which was done in VFFs.

Oh and when I ran in shoes I had some extent of shin splints every time I ran, it was pretty standard for me to ice both legs after a run and my goal when I started was Ironman so I knew I had to figure something out! For me that something was minimalist shoes.

2012-05-10 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4202040

User image

Pewaukee, WI
I started in KSOs then went to bikilas when they were released then to komodos and I just picked up a pair of the seeyas. The seeyas are by far the most minimal of them all and so far I love them, they are so light and flexible it is almost like nothing is there. Did my first long run (15 Mi.) in them last weekend and am going to use them for the Green Bay marathon in about a week.

2012-05-11 9:41 PM

User image

Regular
Been in the Classics for 2+ years; up to a 1/2 mary w/no probe
2012-05-11 9:41 PM

User image

Regular
Been in the Classics for 2+ years; up to a 1/2 mary w/no probe
2012-05-11 9:59 PM

User image

Regular
St. Joseph, MI

This is good stuff!  I'm a casual KSO wearer but would someday like to transition to running in them.   Just curious if the VFF runners know about what cadence they run at.  I run at 180 in regular shoes and would think it should be even faster in VFFs.

2012-05-11 10:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wauwatosa, WI
I've enjoyed reading this thread, as a newcomer both to running and to VFFs. In previous attempts at running, I struck very heavily on my heel and overstrode as well. After much research, I decided to try VFFs and also try a C25K program to learn to run gradually. I started at a quarter of a mile with the VFFs, wanting to keep it small as I was changing my foot strike completely, and now am up to 2.5 miles. I will be at 5k in a week or two. I've never been able to run 5k in ANY kind of shoe, so this is very exciting for me!

I run at around 180 steps per minute, and now my foot strikes on almost the whole foot at the same time. Forefoot first, then heel kisses down milliseconds later. So much less blunt force than before!

I still deal with achy feet. Sometimes my Achilles tendons are a little sore (and I mean a LITTLE) and the tops of my feet are often a little achy too. It's worse with the KSOs than with the Merrell dash gloves, the other minimalist shoe I also run in. It's only been 11 weeks. Do I have reason to hope that in time, my feet will adapt and not feel stiff or sore?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » VFFs and long distance Rss Feed