USAT
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 9s
Overall Rank = 87/250
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/23
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6:15. Ate half a english muffin with PB, half a banana, 1 monster cookie, and drank gatorade. Took a shower and loaded up gear for the 2 mile drive.
Event warmup:

Checked in and got marked. Didn't quite know how to put the bike number on - first bike event ever. Found a transition spot and setup. I ran for about 5 minutes and did some stretching.
Run
  • 19m 50s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't want to go out too fast or expend all of my energy on the first run. My goal was 20 minutes, so mission accomplished. The first wave was Men 30-39, so we were first off.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

I didn't jump on the bike for fear of crashing. I have not practiced this yet. I ran to the mount line and then tried to slow down/stop to hop on the bike. My cleats started sliding, and I'm sure I looked completely out of control. It was funny, because the race announcer was saying something about someone scaring the other competitors on the course, and I'm not sure if he was talking about me, but he probably should've been!

Work on transitions. I knew I was not going to be on the podium, so I just wanted to try to do this cleanly...guess not.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 4s
  • 20.75 miles
  • 19.43 mile/hr
Comments:

I was most worried about the bike going in, and it appears I have put my worries in the right spot! I'm sure I was passed by at least 50 riders. I passed 2. 1 may have passed me, and I passed him back. So, that means I only caught 1 person on the bike.

The sad thing is, this was my best bike yet! I haven't biked nearly this tough of a course yet, and I haven't averaged over 19 mph on a training ride yet, regardless of distance. Since I live near the course, I will be hitting these hills more frequently. It appears that I need to "Ride Lots" to learn the bike. If I could just get respectable, say to 21 mph average, I would've placed a lot higher.

I worked hard on the bike, so it wasn't like I was taking it easy. I'm sure the bike I'm using isn't the best, but I don't think that is the main problem here.

Just need more practice and more time in the saddle
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

I didn't do a flying dismount. I stopped and made sure not to crash. My wife and kids were right at the dismount line, so it was neat to see them there. My right hip started cramping as I was trying to get running shoes on.

Nothing really.
Run
  • 21m 14s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt decent. Legs were harder to get going than on any of my brick workouts. Probably due to how hard I had pushed the bike. Once I got over the initial hill and was able to move on flat ground for awhile I felt pretty good. I just tried to keep the turnover going strong. I was catching plenty of tired people on the run, so that felt good. I passed a few 30-39 year-olds in the last mile, so that was fun!

Nothing. I had paced decently overall, I was happy to not feel like I was going to die.
Post race
Warm down:

About 5 minutes of running and some stretching. I hung out with my family and shared some of the post-race goodies with them. It was my daughters 7th birthday, so it was nice that she wasn't complaining about cheering Dad on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm slowing building a base for this type of event. I had a goal of 1:45, so I didn't quite get that, but I think that was mainly due to the bike. I will focus on the bike more now.

Event comments:

I'll give it a 5. It's in my town!

Last updated: 2006-05-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:50 | 03.11 miles | 06m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/23
Overall: 63/250
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 6:10 Mile 2: 6:35
Course: Uphill for the first 1/3 mile, then relatively level course through residential neihborhood. Some of the same streets I do my training runs on.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
T1
Time: 01:08
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Bad
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Bad
Biking
01:04:04 | 20.75 miles | 19.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/23
Overall: 139/250
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Loop with an immediate hill - same hill as run start. Then relatively flat until mile 5 or so. Then a double-whammy uphill with a screaming downhill and 90-degree corner. Then some rollers until mile 10. Mile 11 was a gradual downhill and then the last 9-10 miles was flat, straight, and dead into the wind.
Road:  Dry Cadence: unk
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:21:14 | 03.11 miles | 06m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/23
Overall: 42/250
Performance: Average
Course: Same as first 5k
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-05-27 10:50 PM

User image

Regular
Central Minnesota
Subject: Apple Duathlon

2006-05-27 11:53 PM
in reply to: #436380

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: RE: Apple Duathlon

Congrats on your first multi sport - you are crazy fast!!!! Great job - you should be VERY happy with your results!

- Cindy

2006-05-28 8:17 PM
in reply to: #436380

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Subject: RE: Apple Duathlon
Nice race!! It sounds like you did fairly well on the bike since you have yet to avg. 20+...good job....especially since the wind coming back in really took its tool on us riders!!

Benihana
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Apple Duathlon Rss Feed