General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Austin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-09-13 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4202063

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Austin : Official Thread
Getting close.  How is everyone feeling?

2012-09-14 9:50 AM
in reply to: #4409066

User image

New user

Colleyville, Texas

A little uneasy.  This is my first HIM so I have no idea what to expect.  It's a journey into the unknown which leaves you a little anxious, if that's the right word.

2012-09-14 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4411285

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
With lancemc5, my first HIM. I wonder if I have gotten in over my head. Just reminding myself to stay calm, even 7 weeks out.
2012-09-18 12:27 PM

The Woodlands, TX
Does anybody know of any hotels..besides the "race" hotels that have any special group rates going on for the race?
2012-09-24 4:19 PM

User image

Fort Walton Beach

Hey There.

I am racing. Any words of wisdom regarding the course? Are the roads in good condition etc..?  I have done done a 1/2 in a couple of years.  I'm feeling pretty good and hope to have a decent race. I'd be really happy with a sub 6, but am worried that I may not make it with the hills. Trying to ride and run as many hills as I can here in Florida.

2012-09-24 11:03 PM

Call me crazy but i liked that race better than the Galveston 70.3, flat & boring bike one... I am not a hill person but could still manage the bike portion... Roads were in bad condition. Run was tough... Volunteers & crowd were truly amazing! That was some hot day! Pics from the race, don't mind the story, I'm just a mommy training poorly, happy to cross the finish line before the cut-off. http://karinelhermitte.blogspot.com/2011_10_01_archive.html

Edited by poussintx 2012-09-24 11:07 PM

2012-09-25 9:28 AM

User image

Fort Walton Beach
I hear you on the flat stuff. A number of years ago I did IMFL and then IMC 2 years later. I prefered the bike at IMC. I'll read some race reports.
2012-09-25 9:53 AM

New user

So cool to have everyone doing it. This will be my 2nd Longhorn, although the first was back in 2008 I think and it was miserable day of walking a 3 hour half marathon - brutal. Since I have done some fulls and many other tris. I see a lot of questions about some new people doing it and asking how it will be. Living in South Texas, the heat will play a big part in the race. IT could be perfect in the morning but by noon, when most people are running, it could easily get over 85 degrees and humid and with very little shade on the course, it can be extremely tough. Seen a lot of people melt in those condidtions.
My biggest advice to check the weather and pace yourself on the first 20 miles of the bike and then the first 5 miles on the run. Someone gave me this advice in particular on the run course of an Ironman and I never forgot it. THey said, when starting out on the run, if you think you are going slow, Go Slower! Best advice I ever heard. For me it worked. I am a 4 hour marathoner for an Ironman and that worked out perfect.
2012-09-26 8:16 AM
in reply to: #4426379

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

It's not that hilly of a bike course.  My Garmin 500 had 1650' of elevation gain.  It's not flat by any stretch of the imagination but it's not hilly like the more challenging 70.3 bike courses. The challenge with the Austin bike course is navigating the terrible road conditions.

The course would be much tougher if it was on the other side of Austin.

2012-09-26 10:12 AM

User image

Fort Walton Beach

Thanks for the inputs. That is still a lot of climbing for a flat lander : )  Luckily I have reduced my BMI significantly and hope to be more lean by race time. That should help.  Hate that the road conditions suck. My neck has some bone spurs and the bumps are hard on me.  I'll have to make sure I am diligent about my exercises to make sure my neck is as good as it can be going in.

Nice to know about the heat. Kinda figured being from the Gulf Coast myself  that it might be toastly.  I've done GCT quite a few times, and have never managed to start slow enough on the run. Hopefully some wisdom will kick in this time!  

2012-10-04 2:54 PM
in reply to: #4371016

New user

Cool - excited for the Half. Did this a long time ago and was terrible, Expect much better finish. swimming open water after work today - looking forward to it.
Just finished the Kerrville OLY - good race and well put together.

2012-10-05 5:52 PM

Just a few questions I have heard that the course for the bike and run are fairly flat. But that doesn't mean a whole lot to someone who has never raced the course. I wonder does anyone know how it is in comparison to the 70.3 Hawaii which I completed in June? (My first HIM/first triathalon ever) Also, how are water temps and winds doing on the course these days in Austin. Because as I learned in Hawaii the winds can be horrible! (40-60mph gusts)...
2012-10-08 10:11 AM
in reply to: #4371016

I personally think that your running miles are little low...are those just running miles or brick miles?
2012-10-10 1:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
I had a bad bike crash two weeks ago, and thought I might be out, but after one week completely off, and another of minimal mileage, I believe I am back!!! Even if I don't race DH will be racing, so I'll be there cheering everyone on, if nothing else!! This will be my first HIM, like many of you, so the nerves are starting to kick in. What is everyone planning for a taper? I know mine will be altered since I have taken the last couple of weeks off, but just to get an idea.
2012-10-14 5:38 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Happy Taper Time everyone.  Could not come at a better time for me.

Having some severe IT issues.  Most people get them in the knee area but for me it is centered in my right hip.  Have about 1 good run a week in me.  Limped through a half marathon yesterday in 2:32.

Plan on only running a 5k at a local sprint next Sunday and then nothing else until race day.  Lots of easy bike and swims in the next 2 weeks.

I know the weather people don't really know anything, but the extended forecast on accuweather looks promising!

Edited by dodgersmom 2012-10-14 5:39 PM
2012-10-14 7:27 PM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

TAPIR TIME

2012-10-16 11:44 AM

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
Hello, everyone.

First Half Ironman in the works for me, and I am both excited and nervous.

I did make a complete circuit of the bike course on Saturday (except for the very small section on the Expo Grounds). The previous comments are correct: A fairly flat course, especially for Austin. And some rough chattery sections.

Some beautiful countryside out there, which does leave one exposed to the wind in places. Saturday was fairly windy and while I was protected in some sections, I was exposed in others, so a west or south wind could be tricky, especially near the end.

The course is indeed fairly flat. For a tri in Texas hill country, this could have been tough, but the route taking us east of Austin spares us from many of the bigger hills out there. A few hills in the first 5-7 miles and then things mellow out to rollers with a few short inclines just to keep us honest. Watch out, though, for a pair of inclines in the very last mile (Hog Eye Road/Imperial and heading into the Expo Center) which I suspect are going to remind us of all 55 previous miles on our tired legs. But you will have about 8 miles of flat heading back west to toward Austin on FM 969 to catch some speed and relief prior to that point.

Roads get a bit chattery, and are worst from roughly (no pun intended) Mile 20 through 30. If any Kerrville racers are out there, this course was not as rough as some sections of Kerrville, but the roughness lasts longer. I found if I could stray a few yards away from the right shoulder I could find slight relief. You'll be delighted to see the "Travis County Maintenance Begins" sign near Mile 30 which signals smoother roads from that point onward. (Help me out...how fussy are race officials about sticking to right edge of the road?).

And watch the 2nd railroad crossing...there's a nasty dip in the pavement where the rail crosses the road which almost took me out.

If we have energy to look right or left, we will see some great scenery. Beautiful big Texas country out there, passing several farms and ranches. Several head of cattle will wonder how you got to be such a fast biker.

Overall, nice course, and a fair test I believe.

Now I'm seeking HIM advice. Any wisdom out there for a first-timer?
2012-10-17 8:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Wingfan5 - Thank you so much for posting that!! That was really cool. This is my first HIM, and I'm getting really nervous. I had some questions about the bike leg, and you really put a lot of that to rest. I won't be in town until Thursday evening, and I might drive part of the course, but it really helps to hear a detailed account from someone who actually rode it.

Any info about the run? I had heard in the past there was a hill called quadzilla. Is that still part of the course. I noticed a significant hill going into the stadium (which will be repeated three times because of the loops). How bad is it?

Thanks again!!

2012-10-17 9:21 AM

New user

The Austin HIM will be my first HIM.  I am most nervous about the swim as I recently just learnned how to swim.

Does anyone know the current temperture of Decker lake?  What is the likelyhood that wetsuit will be legal??

2012-10-17 5:02 PM
in reply to: #4457160

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
Sarah73,

Another first-timer! I think I will get intimidated by the crowd, so good to know there are others venturing into new territory with me.

There are some hills on the run course. I have not specifically run this one, but was out there for another event in February and there is some elevation to deal with. I am planning to sneak out there again for a training lap or two at a time when the grounds are accessible (they are fenced and gated off otherwise), and I'll put some insights in here for that as well.

Good luck!
2012-10-17 5:15 PM
in reply to: #4457304

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
Last year the water temp was 72. I haven't located any on-line places to check water temps, but I would expect it to be in that neighborhood again.

2012-10-17 9:42 PM

User image

New user

Colleyville, Texas

Thanks for the post.  I have been out there before but never paid attention to the roads.  Good information.  If you are able to check out the run course, please post. Thanks, Lance

2012-10-17 11:13 PM

Great to see some more first timers to the Austin 70.3! Looking forward to coming back home to Texas and doing it there! No other place I would rather do my 1st one.

Enjoyed reading that the roads are not as bad as I have been training. And have seen the EXPO hill. Trust me these aren't the Austin hills we all know near lake Travis or other parts of Austin. I can ensure you that it's nothing you can't handle, but considering it's after 57.2 miles of exercise it may be a bit tougher even for those who have trained in the hills.

Like some of you I have an injury from falling directly on my knee caps about a month out. Just finished the Nike Women's San Fran 1/2 marathon, but not without pain. Been told to take it easy for the next two weeks and suppose when a PT ''8 time Ironman'' tells me my performance won't get better 10 days out I better listen to him. Sometimes your body just needs that and suppose that will make our race in just over a week that much easier to get through with hopefully less pain we are in now.

Wishing all of you a great race! Glad to know we can support each other as 1st timers! 

2012-10-18 9:22 AM
in reply to: #4458479

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
Good luck recovering from that injury. Sounds painful.

Also glad to hear from another first-timer. There is great encouragement in knowing others are attacking the same challenge for the first time.

As one of my friends says (10-time Ironman finisher), "Rest IS Training". I too am reminding myself over and over how I cannot improve my fitness now, but I sure could mess it up by getting hurt. Hard to be less active after all that training, though, isn't it?

Get yourself well and save it for next weekend. The finish line awaits us all!

2012-10-18 1:10 PM

New user

Wingfan5

Thank for the info of last year temperature.  Being from Austin, if possibble, could you stick a thermostat in the water to check on the temperature.

Having a wetsuit would ensure that the likelyhood of NOT drowning from being poop out--  as we can just float on the wetsuit.

If wetsuit is not legal and we still use wetsuit; we would be put on the last swim wave and  be stuck with a 1 hr 10 minute limit.    I am slow enough that the time limit maybe chalenging.  looking at your picture, I maybe double your age and there maybe some zigzag swiming from bad sitting.Smile

thanks

Edited by seatrout 2012-10-18 1:16 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Austin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 4