General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Austin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-10-19 8:33 AM
in reply to: #4458137

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Austin : Official Thread

wingfan5 - 2012-10-17 5:02 PM Sarah73, Another first-timer! I think I will get intimidated by the crowd, so good to know there are others venturing into new territory with me. There are some hills on the run course. I have not specifically run this one, but was out there for another event in February and there is some elevation to deal with. I am planning to sneak out there again for a training lap or two at a time when the grounds are accessible (they are fenced and gated off otherwise), and I'll put some insights in here for that as well. Good luck!

Thanks!! You're input here is really appreciated!! I think as long as we remember to relax, and that this is supposed to be "fun" we'll be fine!!

2012-10-19 10:54 AM
in reply to: #4202063

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Sounds like Macca is thinking about joining ya'll:
https://www.facebook.com/MaccaLive?fref=ts

2012-10-20 10:15 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Well, Doughboy and I just came down with pretty decent head colds.  I guess better this week than next but still sucks.

Pretty much laying off workouts.  Have a sprint on the schedule tomorrow.  We'll make it a game time decision.

2012-10-20 9:00 PM

Plano, TX

Wingfan - thanks for the post about the bike course.  I was planning on driving it when I get into town, but this puts me more at ease.

Another first timer at the HIM distance here and really looking forward to getting out on the course!  This week has been a rough one.  Work got crazy and missed three days of workouts (after missing only a couple that last 3-4 months) and the workouts I did have were disappointing.  Remaining confident despite this. Race week cures all ills, right?

Good luck to everyone out there!

2012-10-21 2:01 PM

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
Hey everyone...just 7 days to go!

As promised, I wandered back out to the race site to check the run course today. In a word: UNFLAT.

So first up, I have to disclose that the actual run course on the Expo Center grounds (the quarter mile nearest to the Start/Finish line) was not accessible. Just looking at it, there is a sizable hill there taking you down as you leave and up as you return.

The rest of the run course sits primarily on an east/west axis, taking you from T2 out toward the swim venue and then back again 3 times. There is a bit of a valley you run through and then climb again to reach the park and lakeside running area, where more small rollers await. While I didn't find anything unfair on the run course, there is very little just plain flat area. On a positive note, your legs might appreciate the variety, and there are no cliffs to climb.

Take note during your first mile of the bike, because you'll be back to run it later.

The wind could prove a factor here if it's up. The run course is fairly unprotected, and the wind today definitely pushed me along in some places and held me up in others.

The other thing of note here is the uneven nature of the road within the park. This is not fresh smooth asphalt, it's a little chewed up with a pothole or two to watch for and some dirt piles which have worked themselves onto the roadway. Personally, I like the variety, but watch the ankles and step cautiously.

And the out-and-back road has some uneven crown to it, so sliding to the far edges of the road will put you onto some sloped services. I plan to run as close to the middle as I can.

It's doable, but it's a challenge. If it was easy, everyone would do it. See you at the finish line.

2012-10-21 10:44 PM

User image

New user

Colleyville, Texas
I swam across Lake Grapevine in Dallas on Saturday.  The lake temperatures varied from 69 in the deep part of the lake to around 72 in the shallower sections.  I assume the temperatures in Austin would be a few degrees warmer.  Hopefully, there won't be much wind.  It was blowing about 20mph when I swam across and the water was very choppy.  That was not much fun at all.

2012-10-22 12:41 AM
in reply to: #4462412

Thanks for the update Wingfan5! 

I've been controlling the weather reports to see what is happening on race day and at the moment a cold front is coming (at least Texas standards cold front) and rain for Saturday. Read some other forums about people picking up their bikes during the transition as there are grass stickers around that area and well looks like possible mud if the rain does come in. Hopefully something we won't have to deal with on Sunday.

Have my last PT session tomorrow and hoping it will carry me through to the finish. Good to hear more about the rollers on the run. After training steep inclines this shouldn't be too bad and hopefully going down the rollers won't be painful for my knees.

Glad to see there are so many first timers- I had a time goal, but with my injury all I really want now is to finish. Should be a great crisp morning in the low 50's but thankfully the water will be much warmer. 

Looking forward to coming back home to Texas and hopefully the weather will kick back up in the 80's. 

Good luck to all of you out there! 

2012-10-22 9:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Thanks again, Wingfan!! Your reports have been so valuable to me, even though they're not exactly what I wanted to hearWink.  You have helped calm my nerves a bit, just knowing what to expect.

2012-10-22 10:35 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas

Now my stress factor is the weather.  Looks dry (yeah for that) but colder.  Thinking just arm warmers on the bike.  Will put on socks too.  I usually don't wear them.   Mid 60s is perfect for the run though.

Heading down Friday afternoon!

2012-10-22 11:20 PM

Granted I had hoped for a warmer race and hope the cold front gets pushed out. As long as it doesn't rain I think we will be ok. If you are from out of town- bring all options cause being from Texas it can change from one day to the next. 

Saw the water temps are around 75 and that is going to feel like a hot tub compared to the temps outside! 

2012-10-23 11:31 AM
in reply to: #4455814

New user

Hello Wingfan
Thank you for the helpful advice on the Run and Bike course. I have done this before but was back in 2007 or 2008 and was a different course, so this helps alot. You asked for advice for a first timer - so here it goes. I am kind of a tri-geek as I have been doing it now for about 7 years and I have felt I have learned so much each and every year. For a first time Half Ironman, here it goes:
1. Prepare everything ahead of time-bike, supplies, nutrition, gear, etc... so you don't have to worry about that.
2. Have a plan and stick to it - don't change on race day because of some nutjob you met at the expo that has the PERFECT PLAN. Don't change your nutrition, nothing! Stick to a plan.
3. Looks like it will be chilly, this may affect your drinking enough or eating your nutrtion as you may not be as thirsty, this would be wrong - see Tip #2(Stick to your plan!).
4. Do not get caught up in the excitement and go too fast. This is a 70 mile race which means you have to respect the distance. Going too fast is the biggest cause of failure for most of us age groups out there.
5. Race Tips - Swim - First 2-400 meters will be crazy, then settle in and just relax and hopefully find some feet you can draft off of. You won't win in the water but you can lose in the water if you are pushing too hard.
6. Treat first 20 miles of bike as a walk in the park - go easy!!! Cannot stress this more. After 20, if you still feel like taking off, then go then.
7. Run - most important part of the race in my book. Same thing in that take the first 5 miles easy!!! If people pass, let them pass! 13 miles is a long way. Don't be afraid to use the aid stations and walk for 20-25 seconds. This will not slow you down, just don't stop. If you can maintain over the last 5 miles, where most people are slowing anywhere from 30 seconds a mile to 3 minutes a mile, you will feel like you are flying by them. And you will be if you are not slowing down like the other 95% of people out there.

Those are my tips - good luck!

2012-10-23 7:31 PM
in reply to: #4465371

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
Stephen Bilby - 2012-10-23 12:31 PM
You asked for advice for a first timer - so here it goes. I am kind of a tri-geek as I have been doing it now for about 7 years and I have felt I have learned so much each and every year.

EXCELLENT, Stephen! Thanks so much for all of this. The theme I keep hearing over and over is to relax and establish a sustainable pace. This is awesome to get such great input from an experienced triathlete.

See you at the finish.
2012-10-24 7:22 PM

anyone know what the lake temp is at?  

thanks

2012-10-25 10:07 AM
in reply to: #4467978

http://www.fishingnotes.com/lakeinfo.php?id=28534

Looks like 77 F

2012-10-25 10:47 AM

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
physiolife - 2012-10-24 8:22 PM

anyone know what the lake temp is at?  

thanks

Not sure about lake temperature. Adding to the confusion is that there are 2 Decker Lakes in Texas, and that site shows the "other" one.

And the park does not take water temperature.

All that said, last year was 75, and I would expect it to be in that range again. Austin weather lately has been average or slightly warmer than average.
2012-10-25 8:12 PM
in reply to: #4468836

thanks, looks like some cold nights are coming in

2012-10-26 12:48 PM
in reply to: #4469849

User image

New user

Anyone wearing winter gear on the bike or run?
2012-10-26 3:46 PM
in reply to: #4470740

Have arm warmers with me and thinking about wearing a jacket over it now. There is a lot of wind today. Don't think it will be too bad on Sunday, but riding out in the rolling plains could get some wind going. I would advise bringing everything just in case...you never know in Texas!
2012-10-26 7:11 PM

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
Just back from the expo. Current water temp is 74 degrees.
2012-10-26 8:29 PM
in reply to: #4471209

Thanks for the water temp post! That's what I like to hear. I swam in 59 degrees back in June- fresh mountain water and must say that was my worst experience ever in a race. Hope the wind will wind down and the temps kick up! Will be a chilly bike ride! 
2012-10-27 7:04 AM

My buddy from Idaho and I spent yesterday driving around Austin, picking up cheap cold wether gear. The wind was a little nasty yesterday. It was cold, it was windy----just like Chicago is supposed to be this time of year.Already got a flat on my rented bike---figuring it was just a pinch flat from jumping sidewalks and curbs, but it reawakened my dread of the roads. Can't wait to get the bike dropped off this afternoon and sart my power nap.

2012-10-28 9:23 PM

congrats to all the starters and finishers who did this race! I must say the water temps could not have been more perfect and the sun made the entire race one that was more than bearable! 

Don't know about any of y'all, but I will be back next year and hopefully with a knee that won't give up on me during the run. I pretty much had to walk the entire run and still had a great time all things considering for that.

Thought the organization was the best I have had thus far in any race I have done and the volunteers were all very nice! 

Even the roads were far better than everyone had mentioned. Granted the long stretch before the last 6 miles was not ideal, but what's a couple of miles from 56- right?!

Def a great experience!

2012-10-29 8:10 AM
in reply to: #4472868

User image

Fort Walton Beach
Congrats to everyone! The inputs here were very useful. I had not done a half in a few years, and was nervous about doing one on an unfamiliar course. From a Floridian perspective, it was pretty hilly. I didn't think that the road conditions were any worse then what we ride in the Panhandle. The hills on the run were pretty hard. I was darn glad that I did hill repeats after reading here! Luckily I'd brought a jacket and full finger gloves. I enjoyed the race and finished in 6:04 which was a good time for me on hills. I'd race it again, but train harder on hills.
2012-10-29 8:27 AM

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
Great work everyone!

For my first 70.3 ever, I came through in 6:05, which was better than I had anticipated. Based on advice here, I kept telling myself to conserve, conserve, conserve, and it worked! Swim was great, bike was great, and my legs were definitely under me for the run start. When I got to the third lap, however, it was my will against my body on those hills. So happy to make that final S-turn into the arena.

My Michigan blood came through for me, as I was fine with the cooler temperature all day long.

Great race, fantastic organization, energetic fans, a course that makes you feel like you did something. All in all, a sore but very proud Half-Ironman athlete here!
2012-10-29 9:13 AM

User image

Congrats to everyone that finished. I too was afraid of the roads on the bike but after riding it yesterday it wasn't any worse than the roads I train on up here in Fort Worth. I did see a lot of people with flats but my tires stood up to the road. Like some others said my swim was good, my bike was great and my run was a test of will. Those hills in the run wore out my legs and the last lap Everytime I went up a hill my calves burned like crazy. I finished in 5:45 which I figured wasn't too bad for that course. I think the calves sleeves and arm sleeves helped a lot due to the cold weather. I been training in 90 plus every day for 6 months an was not ready for the cold.The race was fairly organized and the spectators were great. The courses were well marked so even with my dead timex I know what mile I was on at all times. I don't think it was as good as ironman Texas in the woodlands but its wasn't bad my any means.Congrats again to all the 70.3 ers and big props to the first timers.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Austin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 4