General Discussion Triathlon Talk » how fast do you lose running skills? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-10 2:41 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Subject: how fast do you lose running skills?

As background, I am a long-time runner just now getting into triathlon. I've been running between 55-70 mpw consistently for two years now, and my running pace has improved considerably. I ran my first marathon in 2009 in 4:33, and this spring, I ran a marathon very conservatively on a hot day in 4:04. I am really happy with how my run has progressed, and I was hopeful that with continued 70-mile weeks, I could maybe BQ in a few years.

About a month ago, I started experiencing heel pain while running. I ended up backing off of mileage a bit, and even taking about a week and a half off. I went to the podiatrist yesterday and was diagnosed with a heel spur and plantar fasciitis. I've been ordered not to run until I return to the doctor next week.

I know rest is required to heal. And thank goodness, I'm not registered for a race until August, and I'm cleared to swim and bike, so at least I can do something. But I'm absolutely petrified of having to start completely over with my run. The longest I've ever taken off is two weeks, when I had the swine flu, and I didn't lose too much. At what point does one completely lose all run fitness? I've worked so hard over the past few years to get my paces down, and I'm really scared of having to start completely over.

2012-05-10 2:54 PM
in reply to: #4202948

User image

Veteran
the Sipp
Subject: RE: how fast do you lose running skills?
I'm not a long-time runner like you, but I just can't see how a couple weeks off is gonna cause you to lose much run-fitness, if any at all; unless your legs fall off, literally. Cool
2012-05-10 2:57 PM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC
Yeah, I should clarify -- I'm not worried about taking off this week. I've just heard that for some people it takes months to resolve these issues, and months without running sounds...not good.
2012-05-10 3:03 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Yea taking months off isn't going to help the running, thats for sure.  However there are a lot of things that you can do to minimize the "damage"... pool running is good, cycling (of course), elliptical as well if you're cleared for that.  All will reduce the losses, and shorten the turn around time once you start running again.
2012-05-10 3:09 PM

User image

New user
Raleigh, NC
I'm healing a mild calf strain right now, so I have been off running for a week and a half.  I have switched over to a cycle heavy training until I get to where I feel I can start running again without reinjuring it.  I don't worry about the muscle memory/strength of running as much as I worry about losing the cardio fitness.  If you can find something to fill in that gap you'll probably be just fine.
2012-05-10 3:32 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Got a stress fracture in the fall and still nursing my way back... I haven't really lost that much speed, but my endurance is pretty much shot. You're not going to start over with your run... you can still maintain endurance with biking and swimming. When you do get back, make sure that you do not try to start at the point where you left off! Back off volume and make sure you get rest days from running (and a rest day a week!).

What did the doctor say about solving the underlying issue? Rest will only help with healing the problem you have now, but won't do anything about solving the issue causing it to start with.

2012-05-10 3:54 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Muscle memory is an awesome thing!  Back in 2006 i was sidelined for several months with what i think was pretty bad ITBS.  The recovery took a while and I felt like i was going to be slower for the rest of time but within a year I ran my second marathon and PB'ed and kept getting stronger and stronger. 

This past Fall I sprained my ankle (10 days before my goal HIM) and started to ease back into running after about 6 weeks and it didn't take very long at to be back to steady running - i spent a few weeks doing run/walk intervals with my dog.  But I was surprised at how easily i got back into it.  I was stiff for a while but that was it. I am not sure I have the same speed this time but in this case I am now more into tris and have started an iroman training cycle where gaining speed on the run isn't really the focus.

2012-05-10 4:18 PM
in reply to: #4203158

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

audiojan - 2012-05-10 3:32 PM Got a stress fracture in the fall and still nursing my way back... I haven't really lost that much speed, but my endurance is pretty much shot. You're not going to start over with your run... you can still maintain endurance with biking and swimming. When you do get back, make sure that you do not try to start at the point where you left off! Back off volume and make sure you get rest days from running (and a rest day a week!). What did the doctor say about solving the underlying issue? Rest will only help with healing the problem you have now, but won't do anything about solving the issue causing it to start with.

^^^This is my experience.  I have laid off of running since Thanksgiving and am just starting to get back (I stretched out the recovery thinking that resting would cure the problem).  While I have focused on cycling and swimming throughout, I am back a square one with running endurance.  My last race in the fall was a half marathon and I am now concerned about the 10K run portion of an triathlon on Memorial Day.

2012-05-10 4:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St Johns, Florida

Don't worry, just concentrate on getting well. I think you'll come back very quick if you keep up cross training.

I battled PF all last summer, 'Finally taking the last half of September and all of October off from running. Before that I wasn't running but about half the mileage you have been. I started back slow and easy on the 1st of November. By December I was back to about 35-38 mpw. December 19 running The Jacksonville Bank Marathon resulted in a 2 1/2 minute PR @ 3:51.

You'll probably be pleasantly surprised how fast you regain your stride.Laughing

2012-05-10 5:21 PM

User image

Expert
New York

I feel your pain. Literally. Though, I feel it in my piriformis, not my foot. I've been sidelined for 7 (ugh SEVEN) weeks in the middle of my BQ training attempt. If you can (and you probably can) get yourself an aqua jog belt and head to the pool. Best investment I ever made. I've been injured-not-allowed-to-run a couple times in the past and it has saved me (and my sanity). In fact, one year while training for the Philly marathon, I only got up to 16 miles on land before I ended up doing every run after that in deep water. And on race day, I ran a 4:00:20 marathon.

And if my n = 1 story doesn't make you feel any better, this article should:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-263--5536-2-1-2,00.html

Also, this woman is awesome and posts her pool running experiences on her blog:

http://wellimtryingtorun.blogspot.com/2010/01/pool-running-posts-listed-by-category.html

Friends of mine who do ultras occasionally swap out parts of a long run with some pool running. You can get similar benefits from running in deep water without all the impact. It can be a little tedious, though there are ways around it (listen to music, pool run with a friend, do intervals, etc.).

If you stick to pool running, plus swimming, plus biking (and fixing the underlying cause of the injury), you'll be surprised how quickly you bounce back.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

2012-05-10 8:42 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

You'll lose some fitness, but you can gain fitness back fairly quickly. Especially if you're taking other steps to maintain aerobic fitness. (In my case, when injured I also have to take steps to avoid gaining weight.) As others said, when you start back, just show your joints some respect as you rebuild the miles.

In early fall I set a lifetime HM PR and loved the shape I was in, but soon after that I had to take 7 weeks off running because of a foot issue. I did a bike focus in that time, and made quite a lot of progress. When I started running again I got back into shape much faster than expected, and soon was running much faster than in the fall.

Good luck with your recovery. 

2012-05-10 9:15 PM

Elite
Laurium, MI
I've been sidelined from running for 3 years now due to injury.  Over the winter spent 3 weeks training up for a 5k and was able to hit marathon pace for the race off of 10 minute runs 4x a week.  So yes you lose fitness, but you fall back into the groove more quickly than if you were a new runner.
2012-05-10 9:33 PM

Regular

You might consider water running.  I use it when I am really ramping up on miles to supplement.  There are a couple of studies that have shown water running will allow you to retain running fitness.

There are a couple of ways to do it.  But I use a flotation belt and jump in the deep end of the pool and start running.  I try to simulate the running motion as close as I can.  Obviously you will not move your feet as fast as when you actually run.  I mix in intervals.  

It is pretty boring so I would suggest a water Mp3 player which makes it a little more bearable.

2012-05-11 9:49 AM

User image

Regular
Washington, DC

Thanks, BT! I didn't even think about pool running, which is hysterical since I used to teach a pool running class when I was a swim instructor. If I'm out longer than this week, I will do that. It's just so dang BORING.

Re: treatment -- I'm on a 5-day round of steroids to get the inflammation down (I can't take traditional anti-inflammatories because of stomach ulcers). I go back to the podiatrist on Tuesday, and he said we'll talk more then about long-term treatment. But he didn't seem that worried, and this is a doctor I know well and trust deeply, so hopefully I'll be back running soon!

2012-05-11 10:32 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario Canada

Well having to suffer through a 12 month running  layoff for a large radial fracture , quickly followed by another 6 month layoff for a partially ruptured planter facia about 8 weeks after I started back running again due to a hidden leaf covered tree root, I would say don't worry to much about it.

Although you will have to start over and come back slowly if your layoff does turn into a few months it will come back quickly especially if you are keeping up your fitness with swim & bike, might be a good time to do more core work as well, you might find your form actually gets a bit better and your speed improves as well the second time around I know mine did.

2012-05-11 1:16 PM
in reply to: #4204350

User image

Pro
Burbs
meggfishy - 2012-05-11 10:49 AM

Thanks, BT! I didn't even think about pool running, which is hysterical since I used to teach a pool running class when I was a swim instructor. If I'm out longer than this week, I will do that. It's just so dang BORING.

Re: treatment -- I'm on a 5-day round of steroids to get the inflammation down (I can't take traditional anti-inflammatories because of stomach ulcers). I go back to the podiatrist on Tuesday, and he said we'll talk more then about long-term treatment. But he didn't seem that worried, and this is a doctor I know well and trust deeply, so hopefully I'll be back running soon!

Can you get a waterproof MP3 and listed to music/ audiobooks?
(also, does this mean our upcoming run needs to be PP'd??

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » how fast do you lose running skills? Rss Feed