General Discussion Race Reports! » IronGear Sports Rio Salado Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

IronGear Sports Rio Salado Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Red Rock Company
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 40m 39s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 10/12
Pre-race routine:

I signed up for this race last minute since I did not have another race scheduled until September, and I love race day. I also got great encouragement from a group of frog-eating, Beast mode, pignut triathlon ruffians...The infamous Tri-Mania Rookies!!!

I did the usual staying up too late packing my transition gear, so I did this race on about four hours of sleep. I got up in the morning, ate oatmeal and drank two cups of coffee. My wife dropped me off to set up transition while she parked the truck. Got transition set-up, got body body-marked, met my rack neighbor, chatted with a couple of folks including alehr2.
Event warmup:

I walked around, stretched my lower back (it has been bothering me a little lately), checked out where the sprint turn buoys were, and waited. The race started about 30 minutes late because the barricade company was not finished closing off the streets, but we were kept well informed. Saw some people from Phoenix Triathlon Club (PTC) and chatted with them. My goals were two-fold: 1) PR in all race components, and 2) beat my times from Nathan's (my first race seven months ago) which was on the same course as today and run by the same company. Overall, I beat my Nathan's overall time by 2:27.
Swim
  • 19m 17s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

2:01 faster than Nathan's. Since the wave was 30-50 guys, I decided to move up front. There was some good contact in the beginning. Throughout the swim I had contact as females passed me and a couple of guys in my wave decided they wanted my lane throughout the swim. I felt good during the swim and was confident since I had just done an Olympic swim a couple of weeks ago. I still had the same siting issue and was overly concerned about swimming past the turn buoy. It would help if I was closer to the pack and could just follow them.

I am happy with this swim as I think it shows good improvement from my first non-wetsuit swim.
What would you do differently?:

Swim faster which will probably take a more structured swimming protocol with drills or swimming lessons. Not worry so much about finding the buoys...it was better this time but not great.
Transition 1
  • 03m 32s
Comments:

:16 faster than Nathan's. I thought T1 went well! Transition was a pretty good sized area to run across, which you had to do to go from each event in to the following event out. I made all of the decisions about transitions when I was setting up, so none were made during transition. The run in from the swim went well, and I thought I ran fast. I sat down to put on shoes and socks which went better than balancing and bending over. I did not eat in T1 but quickly drank some water. The inflatable archway over Bike Out deflated just before I got there. There were three guys holding up the arch, however, the arch now had about 6 feet clearance and I am 6'6". I had to pause to see where it was the highest and duck to get under it. This probably cost me a couple of seconds. Mounting the bike and clipping in went well.

Just move a little faster putting on my gear and grabbing my bike.
Bike
  • 42m 24s
  • 12.3 miles
  • 17.41 mile/hr
Comments:

:38 (.3mph)slower than Nathan's. My legs felt like they were working harder than they really were right from the start. I thought my ride was going well and was suprised to see it was slower than Nathan's. While cautious on the turns, I felt faster, and I got out of the saddle several times to accelerate after turns (which I have not done in previous sprints). Not much else to say except I thought the ride went well other than the time. Unclipping and dismounting were quick.

Just practice more and include some intervals and drills. I also need to get in some swim-bike bricks to get the legs used to feeling strong out of the water.
Transition 2
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

:37 faster than Nathan's. I was pleased with T2. Again, I sat down to switch shoes and did not dawdle to make sure I had everything.
Run
  • 33m 11s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

:10 faster than Nathan's. My hope was to run the entire course in a sub-30 minute 5K. I must have gone out too fast because I tanked just shy of the one mile mark. I walked 3 or 4 times, and the run was just brutal. About halfway through the run my lower back started to ache...bad. I am confident I could have muscled through the tired and sore legs and continued to run for a couple of the walks had my back not ached so much. A PTC member came by and chatted, but I could not maintain his pace. It was just tough. I did manage to run a decent pace across the Mill Ave bridge to the finish line. It was great to see the PTC tent and Lisa just on the other side of the finish line!

Just calm down and slow down coming out of T2. I need to keep running more, including the drills, according to the BT program I am following. Do more bike-run bricks. Hopefully, the new shoes purchased after this race will make running more pleasant. I hate to say this is actually an average run.
Post race
Warm down:

I ate some food and went to the PTC tent, chatted with others, ate some munchies, drank some Gatorade and everything else in sight (I was HOT!!), and watched with Lisa as other PTC members crossed the finish line. Hung around for an hour or so before gathering my gear and heading to buy new running shoes. I took a nice long nap when I got home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training and exercising are two different things. I need to train more and with more balance on events and focus on the purpose of each training session. I might get some swim lessons. A triathlon coach might be nice, but cannot justify the cost. I do have a wealth of experience and support to tap from the members of PTC (a great club!) and will continue to get the bestest encouragement and perspective from the Tri-Maniac Rookies.

Event comments:

Red Rock puts on a great race even though this one started late and had the collapsed Bike Out arch that affected me.

Despite the tone of this report, which was written to critically analyze my performance, I had a wonderful time, left it all out there on the course, thought I perfomed fairly well overall, and was glad I signed up for this race!

Last updated: 2012-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:17 | 820 yards | 02m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: No wetsuit / Orca 224 trisuit
Course: Rectangular course in Tempe Town Lake. Keep the orange buoys on your left.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:32
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:24 | 12.3 miles | 17.41 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: The course looped through Tempe and included three U-turns, numerous 90 degree or sharper turns and a couple of "hills" (freeway entrance ramp and over a couple of bridges). There was a moderate breeze from the east.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:16
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:33:11 | 03.1 miles | 10m 42s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: A single loop around a portion of Tempe Town Lake.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-10 2:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Avondale
Subject: IronGear Sports Rio Salado Triathlon - Sprint Course

2012-05-10 3:58 PM
in reply to: #4202988

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA
Subject: RE: IronGear Sports Rio Salado Triathlon - Sprint Course
Very nice report; you are good at analyzing your performance.  Glad it was fun!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » IronGear Sports Rio Salado Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed