Competitor Group, Inc.
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 70/311
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 18/43
Pre-race routine:

Wake up at hotel. Eat cereal and get to venue. Check in with disorganized staff and get setup. Had a problem setting up b/c the folks in my area racked the bikes in the wrong direction. I was there last so I had to rack the same direction as the bike next to mine. I think this was part of the reason my transitions were slow. 5 minutes prior to the start I took a Hammer Gel. I had no caffeine.
Event warmup:

Stood around waiting for the call on whether or not the swim was going to go off. I had a blast laughing w/ the group of guys in my transition area. I haven't had that much fun at a race ever. It made the whole day worth it. You really couldn't see the water which was only about 50 yards away from the transition area. I don't blame the race directors for cancelling the swim. There was good information relayed on the delays, but not so good about getting setup into the duathlon. The restrooms were better than usual.
Run
  • 09m 39s
  • 1.33 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Well this was a nice initial effort for me, especially considering it wasn't flat. I did a great job of not flaming out by running too quickly too soon. I paced reasonably thanks to my Garmin 910 and in the second half of the run I went by a lot of folks that went out too hard. There were some seriously great runners in this group.
What would you do differently?:

This was a training day, but if I were planning on just doing a sprint I would have focused more on Z4 running.
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

24/43 for AG

I can and have done better than this in transition. I'm not sure where I slowed down though.

Maybe I could do a better job flipping my race belt around. Who knows.
Bike
  • 35m 14s
  • 11.54 miles
  • 19.65 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't hook up the Garmin Edge 800 for this ride so I have less data than I should. I should have hooked up the 910xt to capture power data and cadence data as well, but I just forgot.

In any event, this didn't go as well as planned. I underestimated this ride. I also underestimated how sore my legs would feel after 3 straight build weeks. This was the next to final workout going into a recovery week. My legs started dead and ended deader.

I didn't bring anything to drink, which I think is a good move for a ride this short. I only took in liquids on the second run segment.

My Garmin has me at a 19.4 pace which is more believable than the reported 18.7 pace from the race results.

I had a really high heart rate for most of this ride. I would have liked it to be moderated a little better. At least I know I was really pushing myself. I should have been able to climb the hills better than I did.

I almost wiped out because I was going too fast (39.8mph) down the biggest hill of the course and not accounting for the sharp right hand turn at the end of it. I wound up on the dirt as a result and almost completely bit it. I rode the rest of the course going back and forth with another rider who was equally matched with me.
Transition 2
  • 03m 31s
Comments:

22/43. Meh.

I need to learn to flying dismount. Also I ran the wrong way out of the transition area and probably cost myself 10 seconds. Lame.
Run
  • 23m 52s
  • 3.12 miles
  • 07m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Solidly middle of the pack once again. I'm reasonably satisfied with this performance after several days of contemplation. Immediately after the race I was aggravated thinking that I should have done better overall. But the run really isn't my strong suit so keeping myself at a sub 8 min mile is perfectly reasonable. My goal was to not let anybody in my AG pass me on the run, and they didn't. I wound up pacing off of a woman who was starting her first loop while I was running my second. I ran steady and happily.

Not psych myself out and get a better feel for the course layout ahead of time.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around and get some food at the tents. Wait for drcherrybomb21 to finish the race and cheer at the finish line for folks coming in after me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Soreness and fatigued from HIM training with no taper meant I couldn't give it my best effort. This was a C race for me, so that's fine.

Event comments:

Bike course needed more volunteers! The volunteers at the starting area didn't know what they were doing! But in the end the folks in my transition area really made this race for me. I had such a great time laughing with them prior to the start.

Last updated: 2012-03-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:09:39 | 01.33 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/43
Overall: 0/311
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/175088303
Course: Up a hill along the lake.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
T1
Time: 01:43
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:35:14 | 11.54 miles | 19.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/43
Performance: Average
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/175088309
Wind: Some
Course: Moderately hilly little jaunt around the 7 lakes area of Harriman State Park.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Bad Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:31
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:52 | 03.12 miles | 07m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/43
Performance: Good
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/175088321
Course: Same as Run 1, except an additional curve to the left at the top of the hill and two loops this time.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No