Set Up Events
76F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 15m 5s
Overall Rank = 119/287
Age Group = Novice
Age Group Rank = 4/?
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:45 and took a quick cold water/hot water shower to get my blood flowing. Ate some oatmeal, got my race fuel and water bottles filled. Racked the bike and loaded my bag in the car and drove the 5 minutes to the Clemson Y.
Event warmup:

Ran around the loop and through the woods adjacent to the transition area. Stretched. Put on wetsuit and swam a few 100 meters or so to get my suit wet ahead of time.
Swim
  • 15m 31s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went pretty well, took til I rounded the first buoy before I really found a rhythm. I had to roll over a guy when I got pinched between two other swimmers shortly after the start. My sighting was very poor, added ~50 meters to the first leg because of this.
What would you do differently?:

I would sight better and try to start further to the side so I can develop a good rhythm/pace early.
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

Everything went slow here. had trouble getting into my socks and spent too much time cleaning grass off my feet.

Maybe learn to go sockless or not worry so much about pristine feet going into the socks. Definitely a good spot to pick up some easy time for improvement.
Bike
  • 33m 27s
  • 11 miles
  • 19.73 mile/hr
Comments:

Everything went great. New mich pro3's gave me a boost over what i normally ride and i took the corners a lot faster than i usually do. traffic around the airport backed things up since i started my descent stuck behind a car which was riding another riders rear wheel. I took a lot of spots on the up hills. I didn't feel like I over did it at all, felt ready for the run at the end of the 11 miles.

Not a thing, felt like I did really well for myself here. Maybe not be as hesitant to pass some riders as I was; I held back a few times behind someone when I really wanted to lay into the pedal and crush a hill.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

This was much smoother than T1. Shoes slipped right on once my cycling shoes were off. popped off the helmet, put on the race belt and away I went.

Not much, maybe leave the shoes on the pedals and run unto T2 barefoot or on socks.
Run
  • 22m 17s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt fine coming off the bike, knee felt craptastic running down the hill on the second mile due to a quad strain i have been fighting for a month.

Push harder. once my knee started hurting i slowed up and didn't push and ended up getting passed by the only person to pass me on the run, who took a podium spot from me in the process for my division.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Transitions and my knee on the run.

Event comments:

Well I had a great time at my first triathlon, in quite possibly the greatest college town ever. With overall ranks of 100,104,102 in the swim,bike,run and a finish of 119 I know I need to practice transitions a lot more, really killed my placement. Oh well, off to sign up for another race!

Last updated: 2012-04-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:31 | 820 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/?
Overall: 100/287
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra
Course: Simple out, 90 degree right turn, 90 degree right turn to shore, then a quarter mile hike up hill through sand/gravel/grass/dirt to T1.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:38
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:33:27 | 11 miles | 19.73 mile/hr
Overall: 104/287
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Moderately hilly, long down/ups/flats. little bumpy/hard to navigate at the beginning and end around the Y.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:17 | 03.11 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Overall: 102/287
Performance: Average
Course: First mile was down hill, second had a sharp uphill, then flat, then down the same hill, third mile was the first in reverse, uphill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes