General Discussion Race Reports! » Muncie May Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Muncie May Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Selma, Indiana
United States
Muncie Multi Sport
63F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 05m 9s
Overall Rank = 96/110
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 20/22
Pre-race routine:

up bright and early at 3;30am. Made a small breakfast and headed out to pick up the rest of the crew. The race was almost 1hr45m away
Event warmup:

Only minimal warm-up, short run and then did some light swimming. Figured I should at least swim in my wet suit once before the race.
Swim
  • 38m
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was a tale of 2 laps. 1st lap was a good lap, only went off course slightly and held a pretty good pace. Only real issues was when I made the 2nd turn to head back to the beach. Had a lot of glare coming off the water and had difficulties seeing or finding something to sight off of.
Then came the 2nd lap, all went downhill from here. Made it to the 1st buoy alright but then went off course, way off course! Seemed with every stroke I went more off course. Took a lot of effort to find where I was or needed to go. On top of the direction issue, I started to have problems with my goggles get foggy. When I attempted to locate the buoy I couldn't see far enough to find it. Between not being able to see and being off course I expended a large amount of energy to get back on course. By the time I made the last turn I was exhuasted and barely moving. I started the second lap around the middle of the pack, by the time it was over I was just about the last one to get out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Better goggles, or some kind of anti-fog cleaner. Probably would of been better to use my normal pool goggles rather than the shaded ones.
Transition 1
  • 04m 46s
Bike
  • 1h 22m 3s
  • 25.6 miles
  • 18.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Solid effort on majority of the course, effort was kept pretty even. With both laps coming in at almost the same time. After the less than stellar swim, I wanted to start the bike out strong. 1st several miles I went out at 21mph pace, not the best of idea's but still fun. Realized around mile 5 that HR was over 155 and my quad was starting to feel the effort. Since I still had another 20 miles to go I figured I should hold back the effort. Pushed the HR down to around 145 and tried to hold a steady pace. For the most part the bike leg was uneventful. I did manage to pass several other riders and since I started so far in the back there was noone to pass me :)!
Around mile 17 was where the only issues came up! At this point was where my back started to cramp up some, wasn't major but enough to create discomfort. This lasted for the next 5 miles, until I got through the majority of the rollers, After this I increased pace and was able to stretch a little and the cramp went away.
What would you do differently?:

Not much I could of done differently. Effort was good and I finishsed with plenty of life left in me!
Transition 2
  • 07m
Comments:

Not sure what happened here or if the time is correct! The course time keeping did not keep my transition time or run time. So by going from time on watch, which I know was started right out of transition,this is the transition time. The transition was large and I was on the complete opposite end from the bike entry, but still dont think it should of been this long.
Run
  • 58m 16s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Since I haven't done this distance before I wasn't sure what to expect out of the run. Came out of transitions and tried to settle into a pace, felt OK but when I checked the watch my pace was under 7:45. I knew this wasn't going to last so I pulled back some and tried to stay around an 8:30 pace.
Mile 1 (8:37), 2 (9:12), 3 (9:02), 4 (10:04), 5 (9:34), 6 (9:26)
It took everything I had to keep moving, legs were turning to jelly around mile 4.5. A lot of mental work during this time, lasted for maybe 0.5 miles and I was able to get back to what seemed normal pace. Of course what seemed to be a normal pace was extremely slow!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

As always lack of swim ability! I must spend some time learning to navigate!

Last updated: 2012-05-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:00 | 1640 yards | 02m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 109/110
Performance: Average
Suit: Wet-suit
Course: 2 loop course, between laps had to run from one side of the beach to the other side back to starting line to start second lap.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 04:46
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:22:03 | 25.6 miles | 18.72 mile/hr
Overall: 82/110
Performance: Good
AVG HR 145, Max HR 163
Wind: Some
Course: 2 lap course, with a lot of rolling hills. Nothing major in climbs but seemed to be constently going up hill!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 07:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:58:16 | 06.21 miles | 09m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 0/110
Performance: Average
AVG HR 152, Max HR 162
Course: Out and back run, with a lot of up and down hills that actually felt like I was always running up hill.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-12 9:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: Muncie May Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-05-13 6:02 AM
in reply to: #4206767

User image

Subject: RE: Muncie May Triathlon - Olympic Course
Don't beat yourself up over your time, Matt. You made your body push a distance it hadn't gone before and you completed it in just over 3 hours. That's fantastic! Olys are a different animal and each race gives you something else to work on. You didn't mention what nutrition, if any, you took during the race. Maybe you didn't take in enough to get you through the run stronger? I don't know - just throwing that out. Regardless, you should be proud that you did the distance! Congratulations! Now enjoy a rest day.
2012-05-13 7:20 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
GREAT job, if I ever do one of those, I would love ur time.  thanks for posting!
2012-05-13 10:11 AM

User image

Bronze member
Great race Matt!  I have only done 2 Oly's and didn't feel I paced either one correctly. The first was, well - the first. Didn't know what to expect so I took it easy and was just happy to finish. The 2nd I tried to improve my time, didn't adjust for the weather and burned myself up for the run. I think you did great, especially considering this was somewhat of a last minute race for you! Congratulations!
2012-05-13 10:15 AM

User image

Matt, thanks for the race report.  I can understand your frustration with the parts that slowed you down, such as navigation, but that race still looks to me like something you should be proud of.
2012-05-13 10:22 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
I think you did fantastic!  I have the same problem with foggy goggles.  It's a pain in the rear.  Your bike time was great and your run pace is solid.  Great job!

2012-05-13 11:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Thanks everyone! Im not disappointed in my time, I just know there were some areas I could have done better! Brenda you may have hit the point with the nutrition! Cleaned out my water bottle and found I still had half my energy drink left! This was my only source of calories during the race so I could have been running on empty by the time I got into the run! Once my rides get longer during training, I should be able to get the nutrition down!
2012-05-13 4:06 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Sounds like a decent first experience for your first Oly really.  The goggles thing is something everyone should think about this time of year.  The water temps are cooler than we might like and the condensation that comes with the difference is going to create havoc if unprepared (thanks for the reminder before my cold water race next weekend!!!).

The course you picked for your first Oly is a challenging one.  It is the same one I did my first Oly a few years ago.  The rollers during the bike aren't as much of an issue because of the momentum you can carry.  The run is another story altogether for us flat landers.

I think you managed a pretty good race and it will have you thinking about the HIM you have coming up in August.  Consider the lessons you can take away from this race about nutrition, sighting, foggy goggles and so on.  It will help ready you for anything you have coming up all season.  This race may be best looked at as a training seminar rather than a race.

I think you ought to celebrate the finish and another milestone in your athletic ventures.

Congratulations!!

2012-05-14 10:45 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Not bad at all if you ask me Matt.  You put in a solid effort all the way thru.  Looks like you were a bit gassed by the time the more challenging run came, but you still have a long season to go, so great job and keep hitting that bike!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Muncie May Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed