General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Live Athelte Tracking: Without Smart Phone Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-14 4:50 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: Ironman Live Athelte Tracking: Without Smart Phone

Now that they have ironman live for 70.3 events, I want my family to be able to track me at Eagleman.

My wife does not have a smart phone. We do have a kindle fire, but may not have wifi access.

Anyone know if you can sign up for text updates?

Since I will be using all of the time they give me on the course, I don't want the family to have to be sitting in the middle of nowhere for that long. I'd like them to just come to the finish line.

2012-05-14 7:15 PM
in reply to: #4209412

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Ironman Live Athelte Tracking: Without Smart Phone

Relying on the Ironman Athlete tracking could be risky given it's habit of just stopping updates or being way behind.

I just got one of these - used it in a TT on the weekend and my wife was able to get updates on my progress during the race.  It can be setup to send text messages/email as you enter and leave GPS boundries that you define.  It's a bit pricey but you can use it for training and other things as well.

2012-05-14 7:37 PM
in reply to: #4209602

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
axteraa - 2012-05-14 8:15 PM

Relying on the Ironman Athlete tracking could be risky given it's habit of just stopping updates or being way behind.

I just got one of these - used it in a TT on the weekend and my wife was able to get updates on my progress during the race.  It can be setup to send text messages/email as you enter and leave GPS boundries that you define.  It's a bit pricey but you can use it for training and other things as well.

Thanks for that tip. I am pressing my luck trying to get a Garmin 910xt, so an addition gadget for 2 bills is not likely right now.

Mainly she'll want to know I made it out of the water. OWS freaks her out every time.

2012-05-15 2:20 AM

User image

http://www.myathletelive.com/

I put that in a pouch on the bike. It works well enough. She can track you in real time.

Ummm, a bit of a suggestion is to remember to take it with you when you get off the bike so she doesn't freak out because you haven't moved in a half hour. I've heard that's an issue

2012-05-15 7:18 AM
in reply to: #4209947

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

DanielG - 2012-05-15 3:20 AM http://www.myathletelive.com/I put that in a pouch on the bike. It works well enough. She can track you in real time. Ummm, a bit of a suggestion is to remember to take it with you when you get off the bike so she doesn't freak out because you haven't moved in a half hour. I've heard that's an issue

Ding ding ding! We have a winner - for $30 a weekend that sounds great. We have others coming with us who have smart phones, so this will work out.

Edited by TheClaaaw 2012-05-15 7:19 AM
2012-05-15 9:07 AM

User image

San Antonio
I used the myathlete tracker for Ironman St. George and it worked well for those on the computer. My parents said it wasn't working well for them on their iphones though.  They are not the most technically savvy people so I'm not sure if they were doing something wrong however.  I would ask the company about that.  It ends up being about $45 because shipping and handling is $15.  Great product though.  Everyone that was on a computer loved it. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Live Athelte Tracking: Without Smart Phone Rss Feed