General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Secure storage for "stuff" when parking bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-14 5:29 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Secure storage for "stuff" when parking bike

So, I am riding my bike to a running race this week.  I am brainstorming solutions for my "stuff" (lights for later, a jacket, I'd like to wear cycle shoes, etc) that I want to keep secure while I am running.  I don't have a person to give the stuff to and I can't find any public lockers of any size nearby.

I thought about securing a small bag with a lock (something like this) but I really don't trust this in the urban area I am going.   Yes, people are apparently wandering around with wire cutters because bike are certainly getting stolen.  Anyway, it's too much money and I don't have time to get it.

There are no single use bike lockers or secure bike parking that I can find.     Another idea I got was to use a bike rack near a nicer place (hotel, maybe with valets or doormen nearby) and just hope for the best.   I wondered if I could lock a bag really tightly between two bikes (a friend is coming) and make the whole thing annoying enough that it's not worth it.  So far my best solution is to simply carry the stuff.  I do have a running backpack and will keep things to the bare minimum, like tie a jacket at my waist and hand carry my light.   

Anyway, I was curious if you guys had an idea. 

2012-05-14 5:45 PM
in reply to: #4209461

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Secure storage for "stuff" when parking bike
Check with the RD and see if there is a volunteer table that you can leave stuff at. It might not be SUPER secure, but it's better than nothing!
2012-05-14 5:54 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
I'd shoot for a hotel with a valet and then tip them to valet your bag.  Seriously.
2012-05-14 6:22 PM

User image

I would skip the jacket and the bike shoes.  Lock the bike up where you feel safe and forget about the bag.  Use a trash bag as a jacket if necessary.

2012-05-14 6:37 PM
in reply to: #4209535

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Re: valet, that was actually one of my top favorite ideas. It works great in an urban area and I will definitely try it some time. 

I really need a jacket for riding home from the race (I'm sweaty, it's dark and cooler at night).  The race is in the evening.  I need lights and don't trust leaving a $40 quick release light on the bike.     I could get by without cycling shoes, but there are a "nice to have" for a ride that will be about 18 miles in total.

I will actually be able to check a bag at the race in this case, but I am seriously curious about options for any sort of future event.  What if I want to ride my bike to the beach for a swim and have valuables with me?  I know there's an answer/workaround for each situation, but I'm honestly curious. 

What is the cyclists answer to locking stuff in the trunk?

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2012-05-14 6:38 PM
2012-05-14 6:48 PM

User image

Actually...fogot about the whole helmet issue...so I assume you'd need a bag/backpack regardless.  Unless you were going to lock your helmet to the bike as well.

Most people I know who ride a bike to a group training run rely on other friends who are driving to lock their helmet/backpack in their car.  Do you know anyone else racing that will be driving?

2012-05-14 7:23 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
My friends and I often ride cruisers all around town and when it comes to lights, we just leave them on the bikes, at most I'll take it off and toss it in the GF's basket.  I realize someone could pop it off and make away with my light but it's the best option I can think of.  If you're that worried about the light, just buy a cheap one that won't hurt if someone does make away with it.  As far as a swim, if you're talking OWS I'd take a backpack with me and leave it on the shore.  It should be fairly safe.  I suppose if it's a sandy beach swim you could bury it
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Secure storage for "stuff" when parking bike Rss Feed