United States
78F / 26C
Precipitation
Total Time = 8h 00m
Overall Rank = 18/37
Age Group = F50
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I set up my chair right before the aid station and pulled out my handheld, gels, body glide, extra shirt, peanut butter, and endurolytes.
Event warmup:

Photo with Marathon Maniacs/Half Fanatics. Didn't do my pre-race warmup because I decided I could warmup in the first few loops. Did my pre-race stretches tho.
Run
  • 8h 00m
  • 35.96 miles
  • 13m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

My first timed event and my first ultra attempt. Original goal was 50K. But as I trained, I got stressed thinking about the 50K so the goal became: stick it out for 8 hours, have fun, and really try not to be a whiny baby. I thought that, if the Ga weather wasn't too hot, a marathon was doable, a 50K was a good possibility, and, if everything went perfectly, 33 to 35 miles was my high-end goal.

Before the race began, we met our lap counters. I had the BEST; Jill called out my name every time and made me feel like a rock star. I loved having my own cheering section.

At 3 hours, I was feeling great. I had about 15 to 16 miles and felt 50K was reachable. But soon afterwards my right foot was so tender and my left knee was killing me. At 4 hours, we switched directions. Oh wow, how can a change in direction of the same flippin’ .42 miles throw me off so much? And also, now I see a distinct camber on the dam on the inside portion. So I start hitting the outside portion for pretty much the whole loop.

Hour 4 was rough for me. I’m sore. The rain has stopped so I decide to change socks and shoes. Well crap, I thought I had the socks and shoes under some of the plastic bags but the new socks might be wetter the original socks.

About hour 5:20, I still felt off and began thinking about the salsa that I brought. Three chips with salsa on all of them and a sip of my almost-flat Dr Pepper. Well something happened here. I started running and vowed to continue running thru the song on my mp3. Three or four loops later, I have my marathon distance (63 loops) and I’m still feeling good. Back for some more salsa and DP (with occasional gels thrown in) and I start out for the 74 loop 50K distance. I repeat this formula for the next hour. Loop 74 at 6:45:xx. Yea!!!!!!!

I’m feeling good (Can’t believe I even said that) so I keep on going. My friends are on target for their 50Ks; one even hurt her foot and is still gutting it out for her final 7 loops. Wow, people amaze me! I can’t believe that I get to be around people that tough and strong.

Before the race, we were told there will be no partial laps. I completed my last lap at 7:57. 85 loops which comes out to 35.96 miles.

What would you do differently?:

The weather was perfect, the course was perfect, my mental state and my physical state were good (At least for the first 3.5 hours and then hours 5.5 - 8), and all of the stars aligned perfectly. I’ve had bad days and this wasn’t one of them. I made good decisions – maybe not perfect – but definitely not bad.

Since the day turned out so well, I wouldn't have changed much. I'm sure I could have made better decisions and I was off on hydration near the end. But the only real change I would make is to take a rain tarp next time.
Post race
Warm down:

Pizza, stretches, and pack up my gear

Last updated: 2012-03-20 12:00 AM
Running
08:00:00 | 35.96 miles | 13m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/37
Performance: Good
Course: Asphalt path around a pond - .423 miles for each loop. The path was about 8 feet wide and was mostly flat with two small inclines at each end. Counter clockwise for the first 4 hours and then clockwise for the next 4 hours.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-05-14 5:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: Darkside 8 Hour

2012-05-15 6:23 AM
in reply to: #4209486

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: Darkside 8 Hour
GREAT report.  U did GREAT!  That is an amazing distance.  Thanks for posting.
2012-05-19 5:25 PM
in reply to: #4209486

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Darkside 8 Hour
well done.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Darkside 8 Hour Rss Feed