United States
Brazen Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 39m 43s
Overall Rank = 2/388
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/12
Pre-race routine:

It was very nice only having to drive 10 minutes to this event, and being a foot race there is way less gear to bring.
Event warmup:

one mile warm up run and some stretching
Run
  • 39m 43s
  • 6.34 miles
  • 06m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I made it a point to toe the start line early and see who would join me. There was a fella taller and 20 lbs bigger than me, an older gent (turns out he was 58), a younger guy in all black and a kid maybe 14 years old. The horn sounded and we were off. The four guys mentioned got out of the chute in front of me. The older gent was just setting a blistering pace, I very quickly passed the young kid, then the guy in black. I could tell they were not going to be a factor. This put me in third, I caught the taller guy at the one mile marker and as I made my pass I said I hope the guy leading is only good for 5K we both laughed and he wished me luck. So I hammered on trying to keep the lead runner in sight but he was actually pulling away. I lost him in the crowd but knew I would see him at the turn around. When I did finally see him I took note of a land mark and the time, when I made the turn around and made it back to the landmark I figured he had 45 seconds on me. With two and a half miles to go I knew I had to keep the peddle to the metal to have any chance of catching this guy. With about a mile left my stomach starting cramping, nothing major, but it did not feel good. I told myself this is what a podium spot feels like. I motored on and never caught the lead runner finishing second over all and winning my age group.
What would you do differently?:

The guy that came in first beat me by 1:05. I tip my cap to you sir.
Post race
Warm down:

I waited at the finish line for the tall guy to finish, he was able to hold everyone else off and finish third overall. He is also a triathlete, we talked a bit, I congratulated the overall winner. They were handing out It's it's so I indulged. I waited around and collected my hardware.

Event comments:

Brazen Racing puts on a good event. Highly recommend

Last updated: 2012-04-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:39:43 | 06.34 miles | 06m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 2/388
Performance: Good
No Heart rate info, but two guys had the course a little longer than 10K
Course: Pretty flat really, there was a couple small rises. The course takes you around Horseshoe lake with an out and back along the Alameda Creek then finish the loop around the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes