VO2 Multisport
61F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 59m 21s
Overall Rank = 53/59
Age Group = F 20-24
Age Group Rank = 2/2
Pre-race routine:

I got to the area about an hour and a half early becuase I really didn't know what to expect. I talked to a few people and they were really nice about answering some questions and making me feel very welcome into the new sport. Chris came along and was very helpful and supportive. I set my bike up 3 rows back and on the edge of the rack closest to the isle to walk down to start. My towel had all of my supplies on it.
Event warmup:

I took a very quick jog, about 3 minutes, and then stretched quite a bit to loosen up and get some of the pre-race jitters out.
Swim
  • 19m 37s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was super disoriented by the time I got finished and pretty dizzy, not to mention it was pretty freakin slippery walking out of the boat ramp. The water temp felt great, but I've never swum in the wetsuit before so that was a bit challenging. I couldn't swim in a very straight line either, so that was getting frustrating! I felt great that my time was under 20 minutes, though!
What would you do differently?:

I need to work on swimming in a straight line!!! That was the biggest thing for me.
Transition 1
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

Pretty slow transition, but I was disoriented from the swim so I needed the 3 minutes to catch my breath and get psyched to climb this huge hill to start off the bike portion.

My wetsuit gave me some issues... :( Next time I just need to be quicker and dry off my feet better. Getting my socks on was about as tough as getting my wetsuit off!
Bike
  • 1h 00m 53s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 12.25 mile/hr
Comments:

This is definitely the leg in which I lost the most time! It was very difficult and I need to build up my leg muscles!

I really need to train on hills more! I was not at all prepared for this course, hill wise.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

I fell at the dismount line... sort of. I tried to lift my leg off the bike to get off and it fell over. I then had to walk my bike to transition... Couldn't even run with it. As far as the transition goes, I was pretty happy with how quick I was.

I need to work on a routine. I was quick but I felt like I was forgetting something and I almost forgot to take off my biking gloves.
Run
  • 34m 28s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

I was definitely feeling it by the run portion of the race! The hills were never ending, especially the initial hill! :( There was one girl ahead of me, she passed me on the bike and was ahead by a good distance from there on out. I was determined to catch her and not let her slip away. As I was turning back for the last 1.5 miles of the race I saw her up in the distance. I quickened my pace to try to catch up and still I thought she would beat me as she was rounding the corner to the finish line. I gave it everything I had left and sprinted past her at the finish, beating her by 7 seconds. That felt incredibly great, especially since I always train with sprints at the end of my running sessions. :)

Keep running and get stronger. I was very proud of the run, generally, though.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked and stretched after my sprint to try and catch my breath.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My breathing/stitches and probably lack of sleep! I think I only got about 4 hours of sleep because I was so nervous.

Event comments:

This was an excellent first triathlon experience for me! I did feel a little under trained for all of those hills, but with everything considered, I felt pretty great about the whole thing! I will definitely be tackling this again next year and hopefully with more umpf! :)

Last updated: 2012-04-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:37 | 750 meters | 02m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 43/59
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri-suit under my shortie-wetsuit
Course: Taylorsville Lake, Ky
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:11
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:00:53 | 12.43 miles | 12.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 55/59
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Talk about hilly!!!! The very first thing we had to do was climb a HUGE, steep hill! I'll admit, I had to stop once to shake out my legs and then continue on. I've never struggled so much up a hill! The rest of the course was extremely hilly but not as steep as the first hill.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:34:28 | 03.11 miles | 11m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 52/59
Performance: Good
Course: That hill got me again! I even had to walk for about 10 seconds becuase that was faster than my "running." A nice woman nearing the end of her run exclaimed that it was the hardest part! That made me feel a little better. My calves were killing me at this point.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes