Set Up Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 13m
Overall Rank = 56/718
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 8/49
Pre-race routine:

Because the race starts at 10, and I had pre-drove the course, ran most of the run course, and swam part of the swim course, I didn't have to get up early- 6:45 I got up, but alarm was set for 7. I got to course by 8:15 (45min drive from hotel). I hate some dark choc. at the hotel, whole wheat bread and PB. Ate and drank at site; honey stinger waffle, bar, and some chews, some camelbak elixir and some clif electrolyte drink over the next 90min. Racking bike and getting ready was easy; i was one of the first there (probably only 50-75 people in front out of ~1000-1200 with racers and spectators). slept surprisingly ok for a hotel, probably got 7hrs
Event warmup:

Did a 23min long run, with a couple shorter bursts. Bunch of people out running their warmups MUCH too hard. Scoped out the run course again; it really sucked. Huge rocks, killed my feet, rolled my ankle 2x. Yuck. Anyways, back to car then to swim start 25min early, did 5min swim warmup, stood around, then swam to start line.
Swim
  • 25m 52s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

107th men only.
Not a horrible swim in terms of time, not great either. I think I was 107th overall 13th in my age cat. The swim was probably long, but not by much. Couple people were grumbling about it. However; it was by far one of the most violent swims I've ever encountered. I was swamped several times, even panicked a little (wtf: am I a newbie all over again?), and ended up doing some very poor sighting and swim form in the first 5min. I think this cost me breaking 25min. because once we hit the 2nd turn i settled in; normally this takes :30-1:00 to get out of the chaos and violence, but it was steady for me for at least 5min if not 7 or 8. I guess this is preparing me for big ironman races???
What would you do differently?:

chill out! don't worry about single sided breathing either; warm up even more.
Transition 1
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

17th fastest overall; 5th age. Long run up a pretty serious hill from water, i was all kinds of disoriented but got suit off pretty easy; the new vendetta is harder to get off than the vortex was.

nada, kick more in the last 1min of the swim so I didn't feel so aweful trying to run to T1?
Bike
  • 1h 03m 12s
  • 23.24 miles
  • 22.06 mile/hr
Comments:

85th men only
I actually thought I was going too easy. Power was 209 average watts, which was shockingly low. But when I got off my legs were definately burnt. And I didn't reset my PT so maybe it was off; actually i tried to reset it mid race (idiot) at one point, probably wasted 15-20secs coasting trying to get it to reset. no dice.
The course is pretty flat, I only got passed by a handful of people, so those that were ahead stayed ahead pretty much, and those that were faster in other AG didn't catch (well a couple did certainly). HArd to tell because I passed probably a hundred (literally) of people on the second loop, it was a constant stream, sometimes they'd be 3 wide in the road and I'd have to sneak but JUST on the right of the yellow line.
took 3 gels; 1 caffinated

Don't hammer the hill you dummy. Even though you can, it's not a good idea! Only hurts the run. Let the other fools do it, and you will see them later.
but other than that good pacing, and I felt like i did a good job, even though it may have been a tad slower than potential, it's still probably my best bike split to date.

Oh yeah; my electrolyte drink was too concentrated and I drank too much of it I think because I had a serious water baby. bloated, couldn't consume calories. Wicked cramps at the end too;;; unknown reason.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

16th overall!
3rd Age

Quick in, quick out. wonder if I could have been top 10 if I hadn't taken a swig of my bottle (probably cost me 5seconds)!

nothing I think I do pretty good at transitions
Run
  • 41m 59s
  • 6.15 miles
  • 06m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

41st men only
So the whole over-hydrated/too concentrated thing really got me in the run. Only 1 gel the whole time. And was sloshing around for the first 2 miles. I really blazed the first 1/2, not really sure what happened after taht. First two miles, which are NOT easy, was 13:11. Not sure on splits after that. Started to feel sick by mile 4. Forced a gel, no water the whole time except over my head, at mile ~3.5, that's it, so by finish I was depleted. I was lucky the race temps were very low (when I got there it was 49 in the morning, got up to 70 I think). Footing was bad, and on the second loop lots of people got in my way trying to pass. So overall not horrible, but I was hoping for a sub 41 (especially given the course was a tenth of a mile short).

Don't drink as much on bike if I don't need it; or at least let;s not make as concentrated an cocktail of electorylte stuff next time. Push through mile 3-5. I struggle there often, mile 1-3 seem easy, and motivation comes in at mile 5 again, but 3-5 are when it's HARD I need to remember I can make it!
Post race
Warm down:

walk/jog to swim start, stand in cool water. Eat wrap, cookie, apple they were giving out. And a stinger waffle. and drank some elixir. Hung around until the results came out, saw I was 8th, stayed for just the very beginning of the awards and just decided to leave. A 5 hour car ride was awaiting me (which it then took 6)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Rest; Still not completely recovered from the 50 mile cycling race only a week before and all the training before that. Also, the water baby/sloshing/too concentrated hydration thing was pretty bad, that probably cost me on the run.

Event comments:

I think this was a great race--- minus the run course. I'll go back if that is changed, otherwise I'm not risking injury. Too bad too because the bike course is one of the best I've ever done period. Just awesome. All set-up events are very well organized (minus the port-a-potty fiasco at lake logan last year) and this was no exception. Almost had a carnival like feel since it was in a field this year (different course than any other year)

Last updated: 2012-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:52 | 1640 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/49
Overall: 107/718
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: like a rectangle with 1 side that just continued. out about 5min, left, short (<2min), then left again then long back to different exit from entrance
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:26
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:03:12 | 23.24 miles | 22.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/49
Overall: 85/718
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Flat, 1 small semi-steep climb, very short (<1min). Some grades, both up and down. Couple of brutal corners, almost ate it on the 120 degree one before the tiny climb. 2 loops of the course; first it was just my AG out there, then 2nd loop it was chaos with tons of people (some very poor cyclists) out on the course, so that the second loop I was CONSTANTLY passing, without a pause. Hard to stay out of draft at times, but I really did do my best because I can't stand those that draft illegally. biked through a bee swarm so that was nice, ouch!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 96
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:41:59 | 06.15 miles | 06m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/49
Overall: 41/718
Course: IN a a word- Hard; Rocky, loose gravel, 2 loops, lots of turns, 0% on pavement, some good climbs especially coming out of where the swim start is. 6 turn arounds total, where you basically had to come to a stop and then continue. So considering...not a bad time
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes