Set Up Events
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 30m 40s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Did my normal almond butter on toast, banana and 1 cup of tea. I like to be up a good 45mins to an hour before I have to leave for the race to get myself settled and not rushed out the door.
Event warmup:

Decided against a run warmup. Did around 5mins of easy swimming with 2 20 sec burst to open up my arms. Light stretching on the beach.
Swim
  • 27m 32s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

Great swim for me. I've got decent speed and can get past the main crowd but there are always enough guys ahead of me that makes sighting and swimming straight relatively easy. This is only my 2nd HIM so I had to remind myself to back it off a few times as I could feel myself pushing the pace. Got into a solid stroke after the fist 700 and just focused on taking long clean strokes.
What would you do differently?:

More glide around my neck.
Transition 1
  • 02m 26s
Comments:

For sprints I've got this down to a science but I'm training for an IM so I wanted to use my road shoes with socks and pack extra nutrition in my pockets which resulted in this slow ass time. Next HIM shoe's will be on the bike like I was doing a sprint and all nutrition already stored on bike.
Bike
  • 2h 24m 38s
  • 56 miles
  • 23.23 mile/hr
Comments:

1st race with a powertap and race wheels. Target range for watts was 240-245 but I felt good and decided to push it to the limits. Road the first 20miles averaging 255watts. The course can be broken down into three sections. The out/back from the park to the loop, the first 1/2 of the loop, and the 2nd leg killing part of the loop.
I road the course a month ago and it paid me back today. I knew what was coming, when to hit the gas and when to get mentally prepared for crappy roads, and false flats. From mile 20 to the end of the 1st loop my power fell off as the roads just sucked and holding power alone is mental killer. Coming into the 2nd loop I was now surrounded by slower riders which kept me mentally engaged and head up picking people off. Cranked the watts to 265 for the next 10miles. Once I hit the last hill, I started fading again but head on just enough until the loop ended and I was back on my way to the park.
For my 1st race with power I think I did extremely well at being consistent. My average watts fell the last few miles as I stretched out and got ready for the run but average watts/Npower 252/260 = 1.03 means I rode a smart race which is something I'll need to repeat for Placid.
Nutrition plan worked well: 3 gels and 1 bottle of Perpetuem mixed into a paste.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

decided to run with regular laces as I've pressure issues on the top of my right foot and didn't want it bothered running a half marathon. Lost a few seconds tying my shoes instead of yank laces.
Run
  • 1h 30m 59s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

My garmin wouldn't turn on race morning! Oh well, Just RUN! No idea how consistent I was but I felt good the majority of the time. Used the portojohn around mile 1.5 which felt great. Kept myself controlled knowing I had 2 more loops to go and relaxed my breathing on the uphills. All things I'll need to do for placid. After the 2nd loop I was really starting to hurt and if it was a single loop run or if I was alone I might have mentally faded but having the crowds and runners all around made it less painful.
Post race
Event comments:

This is my 2nd HIM and my 1st had 150 people so the feel was much different. This was a great race from beginning to end. My only beef is with USAT and getting hit with a penalty. I understand their position but when 4 out of the top 10 are hit with penalties and the course is loop so its a total mixture of abilities on the bike course they didn't deal an even hand. The guy who took 3rd Overall was hit with 3 penalties! Come on. During the first loop I had the motorbikes following me 3times and saw them over 6times but on my 2nd loop only saw they once. RD was pretty pissed when they posted three sheets of penalties and the women next to me who rode the course at 15mph got a drafting penalty!
Food wasn't good and I heard the food from 2011 was awesome but the pulled pork sandbo I got on my way home was what I wanted anyway!
I can't complain as I crushed my PR by 30mins. Now it's time to kick up the volume on the bike & run and set my sights on Lake Placid.

Last updated: 2012-01-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:32 | 2112 yards | 01m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Full-Sleeve Xterra
Course: Diamond
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:26
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:24:38 | 56 miles | 23.23 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course:
Road:   Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:30:59 | 13.1 miles | 06m 57s  min/mile
Course: Hilliest 3 loop run course I've ever raced.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-15 1:00 PM

User image

New user
Westmont
Subject: Kinetic Half

2012-05-15 2:17 PM
in reply to: #4210979

User image

Master
SMIBville
Subject: RE: Kinetic Half
Very nicely done.  Great splits across the board.  Good luck up at Placid. 
2012-05-15 3:22 PM
in reply to: #4210979

User image

Veteran
Fairfax, VA
Wow - super effort and result!  And improving from 5hrs to 4:30?  total awesomeness... you will rock IMLP
2012-05-17 9:35 AM
in reply to: #4211375

User image

New user
Westmont
Thanks guys! I'm really stoked about my results but now it's time to amp it up and push the volume for IMLP. Can't believe in 3years I've gone from swimming 500m as a workout to completing a 70.3 in under 5hrs and then riding 100miles the next weekend! Heading to placid next weekend for a 4day bike-athon. Plan of hitting 200+miles.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kinetic Half Rss Feed