General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running with my dog, neighbor's dog bit my dog... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-15 10:50 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
Subject: Running with my dog, neighbor's dog bit my dog...

...because we haven't had enough of these threads lately.

Troy (70 lb boxer mix) and I were just finishing up a short run.  We were 2 houses down, running on the sidewalk, minding our own business.  Neighbor girl is in the front yard as I run by, and she says "uh oh let me get my dogs" but it's too late.  No fewer than 4 dogs of varying sizes all come running out of the yard.  One is a large-ish mutt, sort of looks like a German shepherd crossed with an Aussie.  It comes running right at Troy, who is on a 2-foot leash and doesn't appreciate being charged.  They go at it for a few seconds until we manage to pull them apart.  During this time the girl's mom comes out and (cursing up a storm) assists her daughter in gathering up the dogs.  Meanwhile I notice that Troy is limping badly, and there is a puncture wound on either side of his left leg, just below the elbow.

While I was checking out Troy, the mom came over and apologized. I asked her if the dog was current on his rabies vaccine, and told her I'd be taking Troy to the vet.  She said he was, and that she would pay the vet bill.  After she went in the house, another neighbor came out, having heard the commotion, and told me that the same dog had bit his dog a couple months earlier, also resulting in a vet visit.  He also said that the dog had chased his wife and kids, and that he had recently seen it chase some other neighborhood kids.  I have seen the dog loose on several occasions, although less often in recent months.  

My neighbor also said he reported the bite incident to animal control.  I feel as though I should do the same, although honestly I'm worried about retaliation.  In addition to the mom, I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of teenagers living in the house, and I've always gotten a slightly shady vibe from that place.  If their dog gets taken away because I report it, I'm not sure what they would do, if anything.  Ugh.

2012-05-15 10:54 PM
in reply to: #4212044

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Subject: RE: Running with my dog, neighbor's dog bit my dog...
froglegs - 2012-05-15 10:50 PM

Troy (70 lb boxer mix) and I were just finishing up a short run.  We were 2 houses down, running on the sidewalk, minding our own business.  Neighbor girl is in the front yard as I run by, and she says "uh oh let me get my dogs" but it's too late.  No fewer than 4 dogs of varying sizes all come running out of the yard.  One is a large-ish mutt, sort of looks like a German shepherd crossed with an Aussie.  It comes running right at Troy, who is on a 2-foot leash and doesn't appreciate being charged.  They go at it for a few seconds until we manage to pull them apart.  During this time the girl's mom comes out and (cursing up a storm) assists her daughter in gathering up the dogs.  Meanwhile I notice that Troy is limping badly, and there is a puncture wound on either side of his left leg, just below the elbow.

While I was checking out Troy, the mom came over and apologized. I asked her if the dog was current on his rabies vaccine, and told her I'd be taking Troy to the vet.  She said he was, and that she would pay the vet bill.  After she went in the house, another neighbor came out, having heard the commotion, and told me that the same dog had bit his dog a couple months earlier, also resulting in a vet visit.  He also said that the dog had chased his wife and kids, and that he had recently seen it chase some other neighborhood kids.  I have seen the dog loose on several occasions, although less often in recent months.  

My neighbor also said he reported the bite incident to animal control.  I feel as though I should do the same, although honestly I'm worried about retaliation.  In addition to the mom, I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of teenagers living in the house, and I've always gotten a slightly shady vibe from that place.  If their dog gets taken away because I report it, I'm not sure what they would do, if anything.  Ugh.

Have all the neighbors report the dogs-sends a clear message and hard to retaliate with the entire block. These people shouldn't have dogs-or kids probably.

2012-05-15 11:04 PM

Well, it really comes down to this. If you report the dog, it will possibly lead to improved safety for the neighborhood, but at some risk of retaliation or guilty feelings if the something happens to the dog. If you don't report it, you won't have to worry about the teenage neighbors getting revenge, but you might have to worry about you, your dog's and your neighbor's safety. 
2012-05-15 11:39 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Report the dog.
You cannot worry about retaliation. You CAN worry about the result being worse the next time.

I've been on their side of it - recently, and I fully support reporting the animal. Last November I surrendered my dog to Animal Control because he got out of my yard (and I have a 6' privacy fence - that he tore boards off of) and attacked and killed the neighbors dog and three chickens (who the heck has chickens in their yard in the city, anyway???!!). I got him back from the pound, he was classified as a "Level 2 Threat" animal, I had to post signs, carry extra insurance, etc). I was unable to fix the fence immediately, so for the short-term, I put up a dog cable connected by an eye-bolt to my garage. Two weeks after getting him back, he broke loose of that, went over the fence again and attacked that same family's replacement dog. I signed over ownership of him on the spot as soon as Animal Control showed up knowing full well that I was signing his death sentence (and he was put down). I'm not an inexperienced dog owner, and this dog had been worked through plenty of basic obedience training, etc...

What it boiled down to was that he just had a ridiculously high prey-drive and went after anything smaller than him and I could not take the chance that the next time it happened that it wouldn't be a small child or something (even though I'd seen him with my nieces and nephews and had no reservations about having him around humans at all).

Based upon your description of this dog, and of what the neighbors have said, this is a very similar situation. It is NOT an isolated incident or a chance happening... this is a pattern that cannot be allowed to continue.

Lastly, if they're anything like me.... they'll be thinking far less about retaliation and worrying far more about the possibility of a civil suit from the people their dog attacked.

Edited by cgregg 2012-05-15 11:40 PM
2012-05-16 12:04 AM

User image

Pro

It is NEVER OK for a dog to be aggressive.  I won't post again how I would handle it......but it cannot be tolerated.  

Yes, it's almost always the fault of the owner.....but that doesn't change my response, because it's very hard to get that out of a dog once it's been screwed up by it's owner.

Some people just should not be allowed to have a dog....but you still have to deal with the dog.

2012-05-16 1:33 AM
in reply to: #4212058

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

how would you feel if that dog big a neighborhood kid 2 weeks from now and you hadn't reported it? Probably even worse than if you reported it and the neighbors (dog owners) were pissed at you. Hey, at least she offered to pay the vet bill. Someone needs to talk to them about controlling their dogs or something bad is going to happen.

2012-05-16 3:54 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Report it for sure.  The fact that she said "uhoh, let me get my dogs" means she KNOWS they are aggressive yet they were still loose!!  That demonstrates a clear disregard for the safety of everyone else that goes by their place.
2012-05-16 7:28 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte

I would report it. 

The chance that they actually take thier dog away for biting another dog is slim (kids are another thing).  The chance they fine them is much higher and a monetary fine plus vet bills are usually a good enough incentive for people to wise up.

As a side note, that dog can be glad it was you and not an over-protective male like myself and others.  The other dog would have broken ribs with a nice Brooks logo imprints in thier side.  I have had dogs chase myself and my boxer while running and have had to resort to rib kicks (even if a little yippie dog) before the dog even makes contact. That usually chases them away.  When I run, I protect my boxer like I would my 6 year old daughter!

Edited by bgraboski 2012-05-16 7:29 AM
2012-05-16 7:38 AM

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio

Yes, you need to report it.  I'm sorry your dog had to go through this, but we had a similar situation with a dog and it just about ripped our dog's ear off.  I believe that if the dog has aggression in them, it will only escalate until something really bad happens.  

If the neighbor has said the dog chased his wife and kids, the dog is obviously not specific to being aggressive to other dogs.  I think you would be doing your neighborhood a disservice if you didn't report it. 

I am actually worried about the little girl that lives with the dog.  Perhaps it was being protective of her, but I would hate to own a dog that is aggressive with my kids around.  You never know if the dog will just lose control and turn on her.  

2012-05-16 8:32 AM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California

I will definitely be reporting it today.  I know it needs to happen and I'm going to try not to worry about any possible result.

Troy is doing ok, he is still limping pretty badly.  I spent an hour cleaning/flushing out the wound, but my husband is going to take him to the vet later today just to make sure he's ok.

What also really sucks about this is that Troy has some issues of his own.  He doesn't always react well when they approach him (he is always leashed when we're out in public) but he has never injured the other dog.  An experience like this is not going to help his behavior.

2012-05-16 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Torrance, CA
froglegs - 2012-05-15 10:50 PM

You're in California.  That means she had absolute liability for her dog's actions.  This means that not only is she liable for your vet bills (or whatever else you want to tack on in a civil suit if you REALLY wanna get nasty), but she's also criminally liable if she's had multiple incidents (which it sounds like she has).

Report it.  The dog isn't being cared for properly and its a menace to your neighborhood.  Make sure the woman pays the vet bills, as well as any other damages.

I know you feel bad about doing something that may result in the animal getting impounded - but they're not giving it proper care if it's running around and biting people.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running with my dog, neighbor's dog bit my dog... Rss Feed