United States
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 23m 47s
Overall Rank = 26/309
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/18
Pre-race routine:

This race occurred two weeks after I returned from my honeymoon. I ran a magic mile a couple weeks before the race and putting it in the McMillan calculator said I could do an 8:00/mil for 5k. So I set that as my goal. However, due to the wedding / honeymoon I gained 9 lbs. I worked hard the two weeks between it and the race and I lost all but like .5 a lb. Going into the race I definitely felt like my legs were not as rested as I would have preferred. My previous best 5k was 31:05 so I knew I was going to blow that out of the water but how much was now the question.
Event warmup:

Did a few quick short sprints before the race.
Run
  • 23m 47s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Before the race I was debating whether to go out at 8:00 from the start and risk blowing up early or start slightly slower and speed up and see how hard I could go at the finish. Well, the gun went off and I was at the front, being a downhill section to start I was going pretty fast. I kept looking at my watch and seeing numbers in the 6's. I thought I was going to blow up but I kept pushing. Once the first uphill hit I tried to maintain my pace up it and for the remainder of the out and back maintained pacing around 7:45. After the hill I really tried to focus on my breathing. I knew that I would be breathing hard but I just tried to go at a pace that was hard but I could still get my lungs full. This was the best thing I did. I slowed down slightly on the uphill at the end of the out and back but got back to 7:45 pace on the next downhill and held that pace until the last .1 mile when I picked it up again. When I saw the clock at the finish line and it just turned over to 23 I really picked it up again and finished in a dead sprint to beat 24:00
What would you do differently?:

Believe that I can go faster and hold it.
Post race
Event comments:

I was totally surprised by seeing 23:xx on the clock as I finished. I thought I would have to work extremely hard both physically and mentally to get to 25 and to run a minute faster was beyond anything I thought I could do. Focusing on my breathing in that first two mile stretch helped me keep from going too fast so that I could make it the whole way. I still maintained a hard pace, but keeping my breathing in check was very important to me finishing strong. I think going in I knew it was going to be a hard race and I would be struggling at the end. Knowing this going in allowed me to push harder than I probably would have mentally and let me go faster physically.

Last updated: 2012-05-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:47 | 03.11 miles | 07m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/18
Overall: 26/309
Performance: Good
Course: First two miles were an out an back with a small downhill to start right into an uphill and reverse. Once past the starting line it followed a path around a perimiter of the park. There was a short downhill section and then the last 3/4 of a mile was a slight uphill to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes