General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Plano/Dallas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-17 12:07 PM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: Moving to Plano/Dallas

Howdy all - being offered a position in the Plano area (Legacy Town Area - DallasNorthtoll/SamRayburnToll) - I dont know a single thing about the area (I live in Ohio). Any tips,info ? Since this is a tri forum I am interested in pools,trails,safe biking roads - also since I have 4 kiddos I am interest in schools, things to do, general cost of living.

Thanks ( I did live in Amarillo for 2 years as a kid so I am kinda Texan although I heard the panhandle doesnt count with some people )

2012-05-17 12:45 PM
in reply to: #4215141

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Subject: RE: Moving to Plano/Dallas
bananatoes - 2012-05-17 12:07 PM

Howdy all - being offered a position in the Plano area (Legacy Town Area - DallasNorthtoll/SamRayburnToll) - I dont know a single thing about the area (I live in Ohio). Any tips,info ? Since this is a tri forum I am interested in pools,trails,safe biking roads - also since I have 4 kiddos I am interest in schools, things to do, general cost of living.

Thanks ( I did live in Amarillo for 2 years as a kid so I am kinda Texan although I heard the panhandle doesnt count with some people )

I live 60 miles North now but basically grew up in Plano-lived in Plano when where you are moving to didn't exist. There is alot of triathlon, cycling and running activity in the area and plenty to do, if you like shopping or eating. The Metroplex is huge and the area you are moving to is very close to the thriving Frisco area. A town that a few years ago sported houses and "tub clubs" is now a booming suburb. the economy is pretty strong as is all of Texas, I don't know how to express the cost of living having little to compare it to. My kids are grown now but if I had the means and young children I would look into private schools-the schools here are highly regarded but also fiercely competitive and eem to be turning out brats-but that could be the cranky old man in me coming through.

2012-05-18 11:03 PM

User image

Plano, Tx
bananatoes - 2012-05-17 12:07 PM

I live in far northwest plano near the tollway and 121 (sam rayburn) and it's amazing here. Lots of cycling friendly roads (well, for the most part). You just have to know where to go. Lots of cycling and running groups to find. I'm a trail runner and there are LOTS of trails for trail running and mtn biking. Plano has a great parks and rec system and offers a $100 year long pass to all their facilities. Well worth it if you swim train. 

As for the cost of living I can't speak too much. We rent an apartment at Midway and Windhaven pkwy and pay around $1,200 a month w/ a garage and gated community. 2 bedroom, 2 bath. West Plano is MUCH more expensive than the rest of plano. The further East you go the cheaper things will get. Also the further north you go the cheaper things will get. (unless you're still West of the tollway

I've heard Frisco has lots of great living options and is still building lots of new houses. Good luck!!!

2012-05-19 7:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Welcome to Texas!!!  I live about 35 miles south of Dallas.  I'm more of a country girl.  The whole Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex is a great place to live. You should have no problem finding what you need.
2012-05-19 12:07 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

I know nothing about Plano, except that my closest triathlon shop is there http://www.trishop.com/

Unfortunately it's still two hours away so I've never been there...

In case nobody has mentioned it, it gets pretty warm around here.  Welcome to Texas!

Brian 

2012-05-21 9:10 AM

User image

Perimeter Trash Dallas, TX

Live in Dallas, near NorthPark.  Early morning rides around the neighborhood are peaceful and White Rock and White Rock Trail are close by for the weeknds, when it's too wet to MTB bike.Smile  JCC is nearby which seems to attract a contingent of tri competitors and a non-busy 25m pool.  I have my own lane at 5:00a.m.

As for schools, I am not sure public is an option, all our friends that live in Dallas proper send their kids to private schools.  I used to live in the suburbs and will never do so again.  Throw some asinine liquor laws, traffic, combine with HOA's and it is not the place for me.

2012-05-22 6:55 PM

Veteran
Just wanted to add that you will be VERY close to the best triathlon gear/bike store (Tri Shop) which is at Windhaven and the tollway..I love this place..They're super friendly and helpful..You're lucky to be right near it..they have group rides, etc..
2012-05-22 7:44 PM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie

I live further south in Grand Prairie. We have Joe Pool Lake right here with plenty of nice parks.

The lake hosts a few Tri's every year.

I would advise to look where you will work and then find a place to live not too far away.

Cost of living are lower compared to Edmonton, Pittsburgh and Atlanta (these are the towns I know).

I doubt you can live cheaper anywhere but Texas.

The weather is nice and warm, some say it is hot in the summer, but this passes once you get used to it.Tons of great golf courses here!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Moving to Plano/Dallas Rss Feed