General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Redman by next year. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-17 7:35 PM

User image

Regular
Midwest City, Oklahoma
Subject: Redman by next year.

Hey BT users,

I am getting back into working out and trathlon of after 1 1/2 years of being away from it. I completed my first Olympic distant triathlon when I was 15 and I am now 17. I wanted to complete the Redman Ironman distance this year but unfortunately a year and a half ago I spontaneously contracted a heart condition called Supra-ventricular tachycardia (SVT) while running track one day. It took a year for the doctors to diagnose me and find me a good treatment plan. I had a minor heart procedure done in December 2011 and was medically cleared for strenuous physical activity in March. I have not really running or anything since I was cleared because I am not in as good as shape as I used to be and I have no muscle tone anymore. Seeing these difficulties I have not been enjoying anything physical as much. I am tired of being out of shape so I am setting some goals.

1. Complete and Sprint and Olympic distance tri this year.
2. Complete the Ironman in September next year

I used to be able to run 16 miles, bike 70 miles and swim 2.5-3 miles so I know I can do it. I just need some tips to get going again. Any training tips, workouts, nutrition facts or anything is very much so appreciated. I also posted this in the Oklahoma section, hoping to see someone else in Midwest City that is a triathlete, that can help me out or atleast suggest some good places to bike around the city and maybe some good places to go get coaching and such (basically anything that is around the MWC area that might be helpful to a triathlete).

Thanks for any help or input that is given,
Adam Holloway

2012-07-17 4:33 PM
in reply to: #4216006

User image

Veteran
Boulder, Colorado
Subject: RE: Redman by next year.

Check out some of the Tri-Okc events, particularly the splash and dashes and meet some people. I'm sure you can find others to train with. Also, there are some coaches around the area that can help. I help coach and consult for several of my friends. If you want, shoot me a pm with your estimated starting fitness and a rough outline of your training plan (or simply how many hours a week you think you can do or have time for), and I'll critique it for you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Redman by next year. Rss Feed