United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 17m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 60-65
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

Camped at race site. up at 5:30, stretch - breakfast: 2HB eggs, frosted miniwheats, 1/2 orange, tea, one little cheese.
Event warmup:

Rode the bike a bit to make sure it was working correctly. Walked around while the kids were racing.
Swim
  • 30m 5s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Shoulder questionable, so I let the whole field go first. After a couple easy starts to get used to the water. I took it easy to the first bouy. the course, once you leave the cove is down the lake, across the lake, long leg up the lake, then back across to the finish.

Stong winds blowing up the lake. So going out the wave were slapping against my head and breaking over it making breathing a bit tricky. Fortunately I've practiced in wind before and know to roll a bit more and pay a bit more attention. Shoulder seemed to be ok.

Crossing the lake the waves were rolling right into my face when breathing on the right. Switched to breathing every stroke on the left. Worked fine. The water was not nearly as cold as I expected and actually felt fairly comfortable. Effort still medium easy because I've not swum more than 1500 yards in the last couple of months total. Still I'm passing many of the slower swimmers. Sighting is dead on. every time I looked the bouy was in front of me. I swam a bit to the outside to avoid the croud. Only on the out and across legs did I run into anyone.

Downwind leg is the longest. The waves seemed to help a bit, and breathing to both sides was easy. Remarkably straight swim. Stopped right after the turn bouy to clear my goggles, and they stayed fog free for the rest of the swim. Swam easy. fingers started to get a little numb from the cold about half way along the leg, but I didn't feel cold otherwise.

Made the turn bouy in pretty good shape and about 5 yards wide - perfect. Turned and headed in. Cross winds didn't seem to affect navigation but I switched to breathing only on right side. Experience swimming in windy conditions sure helps.
The last 20 yards or so I switched to very easy swimming so I wouldn't exit the water out of breath.

on my feet fine - the shallow water was very rocky. gingerly took the five steps onto the carpet. Jogged through t1 to my bike.

Shoulder hurt some starting on the up the lake leg, but never was too bad. Used a modified recovery stroke. Probably not as fast, but doesn't make my shoulder hurt.
What would you do differently?:

go with an uninjured shoulder. This was a good swim for my condition.
Transition 1
  • 03m 41s
Comments:

Because I havent' really trained very rigorously for this race, I was taking it kind of easy. I goofed around a bit with the wetsuit. Think I could have done this a bit faster. Running in and out of T1 probably would save the most

Actually a pretty slow t1 compared to most of the competitors, although I beat both the guys in my age group.
Bike
  • 1h 36m 32s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 15.45 mile/hr
Comments:

Rank is amongst men - not all competitors.

Felt good coming out of T1.

The climb out of T1 is steep. really. I was ready and in low gear, but my bike is not geared very low. Ground my way up, and let myself go to a very high effort - standing, breathing hard and deep. Enjoyed the descent to the dam and across it at ~ 40 mph. Ground up the next steep hill at 3-4 mph. I've got to work on my climbing power, and probably get a different set of gears.

Really enjoyed the bike course. Well except for the 20 to 25 mph winds. My effort was pretty much where I wanted it. Paced it well. Just hard enough to be taxing but easy enough to keep the same effort level. Loved the descent into the canyon. Loved the down wind legs. Max speed 45 mph, average 16. Stopped on the way back to take off skull cap. After that I wish I had taken off the little wind vest but it was ok. too windy to trust taking it off on the bike. The winds were shifting around a bit, and at times would buffet you from the side.

Beautiful day. Cool, with breezes to keep it from getting too hot. and partly cloudy so it didn't warm up too much. Pretty much perfect for riding in just a jersey, although I was glad I had the wind vest on for the first half.

Very pleased with my pace, given the minimal training I've done.

Train hills. Ride more. Perhaps bring a cassette that has better gearing for the hills.
Transition 2
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

Pretty straightforward - I was more focused than in T1. Quick stop in the porta potty to pee.

Get in shape to run the transition.
Run
  • 1h 04m 10s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Easy start, with a quick stop to stretch calves at ~ 200 yds. Heel and foot hurting some but not too bad. Easy running to the houses where I stopped again to stretch a bit. Set my watch for 4 min. Began a 3:30 run/ :30 walk. Grabbed a bit of heed and water at the 1.5 mile aide station.

Slogged on at that pace - not hard and certainly not fast to the turn around. enjoyed cheering on other runners going back and the ones who passed me.

Caught up with a guy I'd just met, and ran with him a bit. Stopped at the turn around aide station to chastise them for not having vodka. had more heed and water - water for the body too.

Jogged another .2 mile or so. At about 3 miles out I upped the effort to about zone 3. Felt ok. Foot not hurting too much. Ran at tempo pace to aide station. Couple swallows of Heed, some water and water for the body. back to tempo pace. By ~ 1 mile left, at the same pace it was taking pretty good effort to maintain the pace. the 30 second rests were very much appreciated. 1/2 mile out - turned off the timer. Ran it on in.

Tempo was good. I felt like I emptied the tank on the last three miles, and couldn't have given it much, if any more.

Good run for the training I've got under my belt at this time. I need to start doing some speed work as well as working on more distance.

If it was any hotter, I'd want to carry my fuel belt. They only had two aide stations. I'm used to drinking more often.

Run more
Post race
Warm down:

grab a burrito and go stand in the lake for a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

limited training and an injured shoulder.

Event comments:

I enjoy the scenery here. It's a nice race with a good field of athletes. Course is good, and the three hills are challenging. Wind can definitely be a factor.

Last updated: 2012-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:05 | 1640 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 39/
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion PowerGlide
Course: swim out of cove, down the lake into the wind which was creating pretty good chop, across the lake chop blowing into my right side, down the lake - down wind. Back across the lake to T1.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:41
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:36:32 | 24.85 miles | 15.45 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 64/
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:04:10 | 06.21 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 66/
Performance: Average
Course: around the lake and back. some sun, some shade. Not too hot today, and a little bit of a breeze to keep it from being too hot. easy rolling hills - actually pretty flat unless you're from Midland Tx.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-18 5:15 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
Subject: Buffman & Squeaky Triathlon

2012-05-25 12:07 PM
in reply to: #4217512

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Buffman & Squeaky Triathlon
Good job on the race! And good race report.  I did this race as well and really enjoyed it other than the cold swim and wind.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffman & Squeaky Triathlon Rss Feed