View Member's Race Log View other race reports
New Orleans, Louisiana
United States
Total Time = 1h 03m 50s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = N/A
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The premise of this race is "Six miles, six bars, six beers". You have to drink a beer before you cross the starting line, and at 5 stops along the route, roughly each mile. I've done it once before, and it's the probably the funnest race I've run.
Event warmup:

This race is kind of surreal. The starting line is at a bar, so there's hundreds of runners there like any other race, except everyone is drinking, before the race. There were some great costumes too. You only have to drink one beer right before the race starts, but I got there an hour ahead of time because my wife was volunteering, and there were people drinking already. I had two beers before my "required" first beer.

For those that have heard of him Steve Gleason was there as the starting official. He's a prior Saints player who has one of the most memorable plays in recent Saints history, and is now suffering from ALS. By all accounts, he is an incredible person, and it was really cool to see him out there.
Run
  • 1h 03m 50s
  • 6.22 miles
  • 10m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

As soon as I started running, I instantly hated myself. But it was funny to hear everyone else saying how they were suffering too from the beer. After about a half mile or so, my stomach settled and I got into a good pace. Then I had to stop and drink another beer.

The course is not marked, they give out maps at the start. But I just tried to follow people that looked like they knew where they were going, and luckily I never got lost. At each stop, I would drink my beer as quickly as possible, and then as soon as I saw someone leaving the stop, I would follow them. I was surprised that I actually started feeling better as the race went on. After each stop, the first hundred yards or so were a little rough, but then it would pass. By the end, I had found a good pace with a group of guys that were a little faster than I would have run if I were by myself, so they pushed me.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe skip the first two beers? Overall, considering my pace, that this is my longest run in over a year, and the fact that each stop cost me at least a minute, I'm pretty satisfied.
Post race
Warm down:

After I crossed the finish line, I got my race coozie and headed back to the last bar, F&Ms, where my wife was handing out beer. This was her first race volunteering and she had a great time and met some cool new people. I'm so glad she decided to volunteer. I sat and talked with her and the other volunteers for a while, and after they ran out of beer, we packed it up and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Where do I start.

Event comments:

What can I say? I'll be back next year!

http://www.facebook.com/barathon

Last updated: 2012-05-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:03:50 | 06.22 miles | 10m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Loop through uptown NOLA, including Audubon Park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-05-19 6:21 AM

User image

Expert
New Orleans
Subject: Tchoupitoulas Barathon

2012-05-19 6:59 AM
in reply to: #4217910

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Tchoupitoulas Barathon
damn, i forgot about the race and was back in town yesterday...  next year.    great job, awesome how you felt better as the race went on.. ha! 
2012-05-19 9:15 AM

User image

Payson, AZ
Interesting concept for a race.  Sounds like a fun one. 
2012-05-19 9:44 AM

User image

Queen BTich
That is awesome! I'll have to put that in my "must do" list!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tchoupitoulas Barathon Rss Feed