General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Swim books/DvDs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-19 10:09 AM

New user
Indio, CA
Subject: Best Swim books/DvDs

I'm not brand new to swimming. However, I need all the help I can get in terms of building endurance and increasing speed. Currently I've been reading a Total Immersion book.  I'm wondering what you think are the best books and/or training DVDs to drastically help swim technique, speed, and endurance.

There's so many programs for purchase out there, I can't decide what's going to give me the most bang for my buck. Some of the programs I've looked at are:

Swim Faster Now

Effortless Swimming

Swim Smooth

Triathlon Training Series

The Ultimate Training, Technique, and Strategy Series for Triathletes

Although hiring a coach would certainly be one of my best options, it's not feasible for me at this time.

What are your thoughts on best swimming philosophies (books)/programs (DvDs) ?

2012-05-20 4:11 AM
in reply to: #4218071

Subject: RE: Best Swim books/DvDs

Familiar with many of those; the best I've found for producing significant speed and endurance improvements over a dozen weeks time is not on your list:  its Finding Freestyle (web based, Google it).  "FF" uses some novel drills and progressions to help your body "teach itself" how to integrate the pull, kick, and breathing aspects of the stroke. 

The best long term, comprehensive toolbox I've found is the Swim Smooth web site and DVD set, which includes detailed technical points on all stroke aspects, a thorough drill system, and ability-based progressive training programs - kind of "everything you'd ever need to know" in one package.  Swim Smooth has some creative and novel tools that can help you as a self-coached swimmer - check out their "Swim Types" information, and system for telling whether your stroke rate is too slow or too fast.

Another source not on your list - and mostly free - is the "GoSwim" site and youtube channel - tons of great technique tips and drills that work.

Total Immersion is a thing unto itself - unconventional approach to both the stroke and training.   I think its very good and helpful on some aspects (balance, drag reduction) and just unconventional on others (propulsion, conditioning).   I'd say take the time to read the pro and con discussions on the tri forums, including here, and decide whether and to what extent its the right approach for you and your goals - and same for the others.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Swim books/DvDs Rss Feed