United States
friendly race organized by Riss Lake resident
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 17s
Overall Rank = 3/5
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Packed the night before...didn't forget anything. This was amazing in itself. Got up at 5:00, loaded the bike and gear, picked up Jeff. Had to have my coffee...helped me get woke up. Should have ate something, but was too psyched up. Ate some pasta the night before....raaman noodles...great nutrition :-)
Event warmup:

Swam a 50 and stretched a little bit.
Swim
  • 12m 9s
  • 600 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was in the Riss Lake community pool. Heated pool so temp was great. I held back a little because I didn't want to burn up all my energy. That was dumb...it was only 12 minutes. I should have went all out. We did have an unusual obstacle. We were supposed to have early access; but the gate was locked. So we had to climb a couple of step ladders to get over the fence. The spikes added an element of danger to the transition!!!!! I'm glad no one got impaled. The two teenagers smoked us...I was the first of the adults out of the water. It was interesting breathing with all the splashing and waves...since there were no ropes this was pretty rough...compared to the easy laps I've been doing in the pool. Had to lift my head a little higher to breath. Good practice for my OW swim in June.
What would you do differently?:

Swim at about a 1:45 to 1:50 pace...try to hit it quite a bit harder.
Transition 1
  • 04m 5s
Comments:

Stayed a few minutes to cheer on Jeff. He's only been swimming for about 6 weeks. Waited till he got out of the pool. Hey...this was for fun and practice; but kind of competitive..hey, were guys. But I wanted to encourage him.

Also..almost got my leg hung up when crossing the pool fence. This could have been disasterous! Fortunately made it over O.K. Had everything laid out and got ready quickly. Put on Socks because I didn't want blisters. This was probably a good idea as I had a tender spot on one of my feet at the end of the event. I'll do this in my Oly event also. Don't want to take chances. A few seconds won't hurt anything. Got clipped in OK and took off.

In a real race I need to book it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bike
  • 39m 18s
  • 10.25 miles
  • 15.65 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt like I was going much faster than this (?) Really need to improve this in the next 4 weeks (as much as possible in that time frame). Rode on a borrowed Trek Cyclocross bike. Great Bike, but not super fast. Need to get the knobbies off and get road tires. Chain came off once and I lost a lot of time...happened right at the bottom of one of the big hills. So I had to climb it from a dead stop.

Get road tires...get the bike tuned and fitted better to me.
Transition 2
  • 00m 34s
Comments:

CALL ME CRASH!!! Riding into the transition area I fell over. Got clipped out fine, but when I came in lost my balance and fell to the side I wasn't clipped out of yet. CRUD!! My friends wife and daughter watched me go down. Rather embaressing, but nothing hurt but the pride. Threw the shoes on, grabbed a water bottle and was off. Was really happy with how quick this was...and thankful that I didn't kill myself :-)

NOT WRECK!
Run
  • 23m 9s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow...the legs didn't start working for about the first 5 minutes. Really had to work to get the rythem going. Carried my water bottle for the first 1/4 mile. Dave was in front of my about 300 yards. Caught him after a mile and finished about 100 ahead of him.

Twice I thought I was close to the finish and started my kick. The first time I really thought it was around the corner. It was STILL 1/2 MILE AWAY. This really zapped me...by the time it came to really kick I was pretty used up. I did feel good about the last mile of the run...probably ran it in about 8:30. Had hoped for a time under 9mpm...close but no cigar :-)

Know the course a little better to gauge when to pick it up for the finish.
Post race
Warm down:

none...Dave's wife had a great breakfast when we were done!! Blueberry pancakes, cantelope, watermelon, bacon, juice, coffee...yummy!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably should have eaten something before the race...

Last updated: 2006-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:09 | 600 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 3/5
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:05
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:18 | 10.25 miles | 15.65 mile/hr
Overall: 0/5
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Two and 1/2 lengths of Riss Lake Road. Had a couple of good hills that I had to stand on for the last third till the top.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:34
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:09 | 02.5 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Overall: 3/5
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly level with a few rolling hills. One hill that was some work to get up...only about 100 yards.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-05-30 8:10 AM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Subject: Riss Lake Tri

2006-05-30 8:17 AM
in reply to: #437624

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Riss Lake Tri

Yay, Crash!  This is my kind of race.  I like the obstacle course/adventure race aspect of climbing over the fence into the pool.  On all three events, you are pretty quick.  15 mph on knobby tires is moving right along.  I think that translates into 17-18 on a road bike.

This is what makes it fun.

TW

Edited by tech_geezer 2006-05-30 8:18 AM
2006-05-30 1:16 PM
in reply to: #437629

User image

Expert
Olathe, KS

Good job Crash!!!

I have some wire bead road tires I pulled off my cross bike if you want to try them out. 

2006-05-30 2:48 PM
in reply to: #437624

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN
good job! what a way to practice and have fun!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Riss Lake Tri Rss Feed