BolderBOULDER
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 52m 26s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up way early (4:15), ate cereal and 1/2 a bagel w/peanut butter and drank coffee. I hate shoveling food down my throat when I'm not hungry. I got a ride up to Boulder with my co-worker, Dan, and his family. The plan was to meet at the park-n-ride at I25 and 84th at 6am. They were 15 minutes late, which proved to be a big problem later.
Event warmup:

Well, we took the back way into Boulder from the northeast through Erie. Apparently everyone else got the memo that this route was less crowded because the traffic was awful. Dan's start time was before mine, and we were running late. After sitting in traffic and basically not going anywhere, Dan and I just got out out of the car and ran to the start. It was only about a 5 minute jog. I had to use the porta-potties along with the rest of my 50,000 closest friends. The lines were unbelievable. So, after waiting in line, I had about 5 minutes to get to my starting wave. I basically had NO warmup for this race. None. Not good.
Run
  • 52m 26s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I now know what it feels like to run the BolderBoulder without a warmup. And it doesn't feel so good. Miles 1 and 2 felt good. My pace for mile 3 was crap. I can't believe how bad that was - and it felt bad too. Mile 5 & 6 felt much better. I tried to pick up speed on the downhills as much as I could. I was in my starting wave based on last year's time (which was about 5 1/2 minutes slower than this year's time), so I ended up running through several waves that started in front of me. There were definitely some bottlenecks through corners and especially at the end running up the hill into Folsom field. I'm sure my time would have been faster if I had been in the proper wave for my running speed. My goal time was 52:30, and I beat that (BARELY), so I can't complain.
What would you do differently?:

Get to the race on time so I can warm up!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, stretched. I started cramping in my upper quads during the cooldown. It's been a while since I've ran on pavement for any extended period of time. It definitely hurts my body a lot more than dirt trails.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't really feel very prepared for this race. I haven't done any longer, hard effort runs. All of my 6+ mile runs have been in Z1 & 2, so I haven't really suffered for this long on a run in quite a while.

Last year, if someone would have told me I'd be running 8:26 miles I would have been estatic, it would have been like a dream come true. Now that I'm actually doing it, I know I can do better. It's funny what a difference a year can make. That said, I've come a long way since I first started running. Taking 5 1/2 minutes off of last year's time is good. This was a good test to see where I am with my run.

Event comments:

This is a great race, and that's why 50,000 people run it. Boulder is a great place to race, and running into Folsom Field at the end is very cool.

I stayed to watch the Memorial Day festivities and the professional men's and women's races. The parachuters and the 4 F-15's that did the flyover during the Star Spangled Banner were my favorite parts. I'm a sappy patriotic girl, so I just love that stuff. :)

Last updated: 2006-05-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:52:26 | 06.21 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 174. Max HR 184. Splits (I missed mile 1 somehow, so mile 1&2 are combined): Miles 1 & 2 - 16:17, Mile 3 - 8:49, Mile 4 - 8:34, Mile 5: 8:28, Mile 6: 8:35, Remainder: 1:43.
Course: Through the streets of Boulder
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-05-30 8:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: BolderBOULDER

2006-05-30 12:46 PM
in reply to: #437656

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI
Subject: RE: BolderBOULDER

So you think the lack of a w/u caused a slow THIRD mile?  I'm a bit confused with that logic...  usually the FIRST mile would be slow I think?

Maybe the third mile was up hill?  Definitely interesting how the third mile pace was elevated.  Huh.   

I didn't really feel very prepared for this race. I haven't done any longer, hard effort runs. All of my 6+ mile runs have been in Z1 & 2, so I haven't really suffered for this long on a run in quite a while.

BULL ******   Your training ROCKS!  Even though you haven't done any zone crap in your opinion, the conditioning is THERE.   I know for me, that I train at X speed but run at Y speed...and Y definitely faster than X!!

ast year, if someone would have told me I'd be running 8:26 miles I would have been estatic, it would have been like a dream come true. Now that I'm actually doing it, I know I can do better.

Darn straight you can get faster.  Your desire and effort has put you in a position to succeed.  Now you just gotta embrace the inner Stacie.  

Oh, and congrats on the PR.

2006-05-30 12:53 PM

User image

Pro
Helena, MT

Damn, girl! You've gotten FAST over the last year.

The paradox that I've noted... how come all the kick-ass, inredibly fast women with the crazy training schedules are so freakin' hard on themselves? You guys need to lighten up and realize that you kick tail big time. Speech over.

2006-05-30 12:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Aurora, CO
"embrace the inner Stacie" Hehe

Nice run yesterday!
2006-06-02 7:14 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
I'm happy for you that you beat last year on a day that didn't go quite right and you didn't even feel 100% !  You're in for a fast summer!  Way to stick with it!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » BolderBOULDER Rss Feed