United States
YMCA
Sunny
Total Time = 56m 20s
Overall Rank = 9/216
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/12
Pre-race routine:

This morning I had a bowl of oatmeal and two bananas. This was my first triathlon so I got there a little later than I should of and had to learn how to set up the transition area and put on the championchip.
Event warmup:

Get myself prepared to jump in the Atlantic. Stretch a little and babble nonscence to mark and leia.
Swim
  • 08m 11s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

So the anouncer guy says 30sec to go and everyone gets ready at the waters edge. I found a little hole maybe 2 guys back and then we were off. I felt like I was running for awhile so I started swimming, but the other guys around me were still running. I guess I could have kept running but I think I was swimming the same pace they were running. Anyway I really didn't spot much. The guy in front of me faded away and I swam around him. Then before I knew it, it was time to make the first turn. No prob. Then during the stretch I saw a object in the water (you really can't see much, maybe a foot deep) that looked like a softball right in front of me. I didn't really have time to get out of the way, so I just swam over it. Well, turned out to be a jellyfish but no stings so I kept swimming. While swimming you have no idea where you are in relation to everyone else, but I saw a kid swimming next to me so I figured I was going slow. Turned out later he was just a fast kid. I got out of the water and head. GO MIKE!, but most of the yells were for another Mike that was just in front of me. Thats was ok though cuz I still got a rush.
What would you do differently?:

I was really happy with the swim. I think I came out around seventh in the wave so I was pretty happy with that.
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

For the transition you have to run out of the water, across the beach, over A1A then into the shopping center for your bike. So 1:40 seems long but most of it was getting to the transition area. It was great not to have tons of people in the transition area. There was maybe three people there.

Get on the bike better, I just about crashed into the Gatorade setup.
Bike
  • 25m 27s
  • 10 miles
  • 23.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Getting on the bike was almost a disaster. The pedal was upsidedown and I looked down to see where my food needed to go. Once I looked up I was pretty much headed into the gatorade. I quickly turned around it, but it still took a long time before I could get my foot in the shoe. I think it was because my feet were still a little wet. Two guys passed me while I was trying to get my feet in. But I ended up passing four so I think I gained two places. I could see I few guys in front of me but after a couple miles they were gone and I was all by myself for 90% of the ride. No one in front no one in back. Nice ride. When I went to dismount my foot hit the shoe and the shoe went flying. I went to pick it up but another lady was running for it too! I remembered no one is allowed to help so I had to beat her to the shoe. I barely did and off I ran to the transition.

Get on and off the bike better.
Transition 2
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

Othere than shoes flying, just fine.
Run
  • 20m 29s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I was burmping up gatorade the whole time. And it got really hot. The sun was cooking me. Two people passed me and I tried to keep up with them, but I couldn't. I always run with my HR monitor, so it was odd not having that to monitor my pace. I really liked my new brooks T3 racing flats though. I came up to the finish and Leia and my parents were yelling for me so it was nice.

Train better and with fluids.
Post race
Warm down:

Good eats. Lots of apples, bananas, and muffins. Gatorade and water, but the Florida sun was out and it was tough getting shade even after the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting in gatorade.

Event comments:

This was a real nice first race. I felt bad for the winners of overall male and female as they got the same award as everyone elese, which was a training bag from stonewood. I had a great time. Sure wish the photos the pros take weren't so expensive.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-04-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:11 | 437 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 0/216
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Just out a little bit and then down the course with the current.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:25:27 | 10 miles | 23.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/12
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: This was a pretty course on great roads. Really quiet with no traffic. No wind!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:35
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:29 | 03 miles | 06m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/12
Performance: Average
Course: This started off the same as the bike ride and then there was a crossover to A1A.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-30 9:48 AM

User image

Regular
Long Island
Subject: Y-Tri

2006-05-30 9:56 AM
in reply to: #437724

User image

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland
Subject: RE: Y-Tri
Great race. Loved the image of a mad panic to get to the fallen shoe before outside assistance.
2006-05-30 10:06 AM
in reply to: #437736

User image

Regular
Long Island
Subject: RE: Y-Tri
Thanks! You should see the one with my bike going into the Gatorade.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Y-Tri Rss Feed