General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me swim faster! Swim critique video Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-05-22 12:15 PM
in reply to: #4220052

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach
Subject: RE: Help me swim faster! Swim critique video

Take a look at Ian Thorpe in image numbers 6 & 7:

Notice how he uses his entire forearm as a paddle, and he seems to be reaching "over a barrel" with his arm, a classic swim analogy.

You appear to pull your arm straight back, something I've never seen. Use that forearm as a big oar in the water. Grip the water with your forearm.

2012-05-22 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4222931

User image

Melon Presser
AdventureBear - 2012-05-23 12:08 AM
Muskrat37 - 2012-05-22 10:52 AM

TriAya and AdventureBear - I respect both of your inputs on the swimming threads I have read.  You both are clearly very well versed in analyzing, correcting and teaching proper swimming technique.  I am an "old school" swimmer I suppose.  I grew up in a pool in the 80's and then didn't swim for 20 years after H.S.  Clearly swim technique has changed in 20 years.  

I have a question for both of you about the "S" pull.  (this is not a thread jack as your answer should help the OP).  

You both say it is antiquated or was proven not that helpful, but is it bad if done properly?  Do you lose any energy or propulsion doing an "S" pull?  Do you recommend that all us old timers who were taught an S pull quite immediately?

It is how I have been swimming forever.  I don't turn my hand, and I just do a small "S" underwater.  I feel like it gives me a bit more of a pull with each stroke and it seems as though it would be a better pull than just pulling straight back.  I'll have to try no "S" pull on my swim tonight and see how it affects my times in the 50 and 100 yards.  

I'll just say that I think there is always room for everyone to improve their stroke...even Phelps, Lochte, Evans, etc. Rather than thinking of a "straight" pull back, think of simply anchoring your hand on a piece of water real-estate...then don't let that real estate get out from behind your hand. Keep it htere and press 'gently' without disturbing the water behind your hand...make it solid. Just see what that feels like. When you video anyone, you can see an S shaped pattern, but a lot of it is due to body rotation changing the vector a little bit. The thing is that when you TRY to make an S-shape, it's typically overdone and you lose a little potential. When you don't try...it still happens, but more of your stroke can go into moving water forward. You'll likely feel more pressure when you do this and if you try to keep the same stroke rate, find that you get more fatigued...therefor you might need to slow down your tempo...yet still swim the same speed. Try it slowly at first. Of course, if you watch phelps underwater, he's got a pretty pronounced S-Pull as well so what do I know?

What Suzanne said.

Also, you said you have a small S-pull, and don't angle your hand away from vertical, which should be fine. I personally think (on the same theory that everyone, even the best have improvements to make and that's why they, too, frequently do underwater analyses and stroke work) it's a great idea to get some underwater video to make sure that IS exactly what you're doing, especially when you're not thinking about it.

Also, with Phelps, his more exaggerated S-pull works very well with his overall stroke and exactly where his body is when. More frequently with swimmers less accomplished than Phelps (snerk), a more exaggerated S-pull winds up placing the hand and arm in suboptimal pull positions with respect to the body.

2012-05-22 1:11 PM
in reply to: #4222953

User image

Master
Gig Harbor
Tom Demerly. - 2012-05-22 10:15 AM

Take a look at Ian Thorpe in image numbers 6 & 7:

Notice how he uses his entire forearm as a paddle, and he seems to be reaching "over a barrel" with his arm, a classic swim analogy.

You appear to pull your arm straight back, something I've never seen. Use that forearm as a big oar in the water. Grip the water with your forearm.

Thank you for posting this.  I read about the forearm as a paddle in a previous link.  It was hard to visualize.  I think I do this naturally, but I am going to consciously focus on this at the pool tonight and see how it feels.  My times are good right now (I should swim about a 1:10 IM swim), and I don't use too much energy as I always feel pretty fresh after a good long swim, but I am interested in increasing efficiency even more.  I think this may be a good area to focus on for the next phase.

Is this a bit advanced for the OP and the original point of the thread? (trying really hard not to jack this thread here).   

2012-05-22 2:11 PM
in reply to: #4223131

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
TriAya - 2012-05-22 12:09 PM
More frequently with swimmers less accomplished than Phelps (snerk),

You mean, everyone else in the world?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me swim faster! Swim critique video Rss Feed  

of 2