General Discussion Race Reports! » CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Charleston, South Carolina
United States
Charleston Triathlon Club
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 29m 35s
Overall Rank = 43/68
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 6/9
Pre-race routine:

Our alarm went off at 4:30, and I jumped into the shower while my husband fixed some breakfast. I had an egg and coffee. I couldn't find the peanut butter (who hid my pb??) so had a banana for some carbs.

We drove out to James Island in a steady rain. I had packed all of my stuff in a garbage bag and was wearing a rain jacket over my tri suit, but it still felt pretty cold when the breeze kicked up.

We found a good rack spot closer to the road, which I thought would be helpful for our transition times. We both wanted to make improvements over our close to 3 minute times from the last triathlon. The rain let up and a rainbow appeared over the park - a great sign!
Event warmup:

Walked around, the usual. I did not do a swim warmup this morning because I just didn't want to get back out of the water once I had been in it. I was shivering.
Swim
  • 14m
  • 600 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started just slightly behind the pack and to the left. Despite that, I stuck with them for a good bit, so things were rougher than in the past when I have kept back away from them. I did get some contact and struggled a bit to get into a rhythm and breathing well. I am really working on body position in the water, and I kept that in mind while keeping my stroke up and pulling hard - so a good effort. I didn't begin to get passed by the next wave until the very last leg, so that is an improvement over last time. Still slower than my pool workouts, so I still have plenty of room for improvement.
What would you do differently?:

Keep working on it, that's all!
Transition 1
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Ran to transition, stayed focused, got my feet dried off a little better than last time. All in all, it was fine.

I can't think of anything, really.
Bike
  • 42m 51s
  • 12 miles
  • 16.80 mile/hr
Comments:

I started off well and feeling strong despite feeling out of breath. I was fiddling with the bike computer that was not getting a connection, but since it was wet out, I decided to just ignore it rather than risk making a mistake because of it. I just started using the computer to help me stay "on task" and not slow down in the middle of the course.

On my way out of the park, I dropped my bottle in a curve. No bump or anything, I just heard it hit the ground and reacted by putting on the brakes to stop and get it. Yeah... I crashed. I knew it in my gut as soon as I grabbed the brakes that it was the wrong thing to do on a wet, smooth road. I hit on my right hip and hand, but no damage except for a tiny abrasion on the heel of my hand. If I had been wearing gloves, there would not have been a mark on me. Bike fine too - ran back for the bottle and back to my bike without anyone seeing me or passing me until I was remounting and a girl in my age group passed me. She asked if all was ok and I said yes (except being passed by someone in my AG, but I didn't say that).

So, after that little excitement, I'm sure I had some extra adrenaline to get me through the ride! Most of the course was protected from the wind which was good because once we got out on Folly Rd, holy cow was it windy!! I slowed way down for that stretch.

I felt fine throughout, drank twice and felt pretty good about it overall.

Not wreck! Seriously, I just need to get more hours on the bike and work on my conditioning.
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Fine, I could have saved time but I ran back for a quick drink before heading out. I forgot that there is a drink station like 100 yards into the course. Doh!
Run
  • 29m 8s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out slowly to get my legs warmed up and soon noticed that I felt pretty good. I moved the pace up a little in the first mile and felt smooth and good. I still got a drink of water at every stop even though it was so cool and pretty by that time. I could feel tightness in my calves so I kept my feet "floppy", which seems to help me. The pace felt good and smooth, so I just kept it throughout. When I picked it up at the end, it all felt very easy, so I knew at that point that I could have paced myself a little bit faster. I finished with a smile, so again, probably did not run fast enough in mile 2 and 3. This is my 2nd fastest 5k, though - I only ran faster in the TryCharleston Sprint a few weeks ago (27:17) but that course was short.

This was an excellent run, just too easy for a 5k.

Pick it up a little more. Experiment with 5k pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, talked to my husband and my dad, who had come out to watch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My overall conditioning is probably number 1. I just need to be consistent with bike training and swimming, running is coming along well.

I gave myself a below average on decision-making, first of all because of braking on a wet road (just the wrong reaction - maybe experience will make that better) and not running hard enough in the 5k.

Event comments:

I love this event. It is just the right size, the people are friendly and the course is good.

Last updated: 2012-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:00 | 600 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/9
Overall: 45/68
Performance: Average
Suit: no
Course: Rectangular
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:02
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:42:51 | 12 miles | 16.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 40/68
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:08 | 03.11 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 42/68
Performance: Good
Course: Two loops around the lake
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-21 8:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1

2012-05-22 6:56 AM
in reply to: #4220072

User image

Coastal Carolina
Subject: RE: CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1

Looks like you had a great race even with that hiccup on the bike, good job getting back on and finishing strong!  I have no idea what I'm doing with run pacing so you aren't alone.

No I wasn't wearing the BT top, I had a Police Unity Tour jersey on, and will wear the same to #3 if you are racing it let me know we can introduce ourselves.  Happy Training!

2012-05-27 8:39 AM
in reply to: #4220072

User image

Veteran
Charleston, SC
Subject: RE: CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1
a little wind and a little rain...but, all in all, it turned out to be a good day.  glad you didn't get hurt with the crash on the bike....   t'was me wearing the BT shirt...  if you do anymore of this CSTS series, watch those falling water bottles.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CSTS Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1 Rss Feed