Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2012-05-22 10:18 AM
in reply to: #4222579

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Minimum training to finish IM
Patrick E - 2012-05-22 9:06 AM

bryancd - 2012-05-21 9:39 PM  Not offended, no in the least. It's just at then end of the day we all have our own motivation and goals and there is not right or wrong. My life became so much simpler when I stopped giving a crap.

Perhaps the most profound and intelligent statement in these five pages of posts!

Especially since it is an opinion shared on an internet forum...

2012-05-22 10:22 AM
in reply to: #4222300

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
TheClaaaw - 2012-05-22 6:12 AM

I've been reading this thread with interest, since I have found myself in a parallel situation, though not as extreme.

I'm the poster child for the guy who started in triathlon with no background in endurance or fitness, extremely overweight. I confess I get annoyed by people who can just hop up and go run 6 miles on no training, and still be very much faster than me after I've been running a year and a half. Today I was happy to be sub 14:30/mile on a 5 mile run.

At the same time, I can't honestly say my training has been optimal. It's not minimal, but it's not enough for the races I've been doing. The big target was the a half-marathon in January. I finished it, beaten, bloody, and almost 4 hours. It was ugly. The next day I saw people even more obese than me, finishing the marathon.

It occurred to me that it could be done at that weight. But why would I want to? Different question than training, but not totally unrelated. No way would I attempt a marathon at 285 pounds.

I committed myself to training better and losing weight. 3 months later I took 44:44 of my half marathon and 30 pounds off my frame. Felt awesome.

But now I'm on the verge of my first HIM. I'm determined to cross that finish, and if I have to use every minute of free time I get from an earlier swim wave, just to make the cutoff, I will do that. But I am seeing a pattern here, and my next HIM will be a huge improvement. I'll be between 240 and 250 for this one, but I'll be a lot leaner for the next, and much better trained.

It wouldn't even occur to me to do a full iron distance until I'm trained. In my first days of dreaming about this whole venture, I did the math on 17 hours, and it seemed feasible. But, I don't want my first IM to be a sufferfest where I'm chasing the cutoff from the starting horn. I think I'll be doing that at Eagleman as it is.

I know I'll survive the half, or at least be fine if I get pulled for slowness. The concept of a full on minimal training? I have done some stupid, ill-advised things in my life - for a guy like me, that would set a record. Not saying anyone else can't do it, but as a representative of the fresh-off-the-couch-club, I'll pass on that plan.

Keep up the good work, and keep in mind when crunching the numbers for an IM put in your worst case scenario times and add an hour.   When dealing with any long race there's a 50/50 chance thing are not going to go your way.

2012-05-22 10:48 AM
in reply to: #4222070

User image

Extreme Veteran
Torrance, CA

aeons - 2012-05-22 1:51 AM Different strokes for different folks. I'm positive I can finish an Ironman at this very moment given my athletic condition but it takes away the whole point of racing it for me. I want to get the fastest time I can possibly achieve when I attempt my first IM, not just cross the finish line. Good job by the way, the mentality of a human being is extremely powerful.

This basically sums it up.

I've never done a full Ironman, but if someone put a gun to my head and said "go out there and finish" - I'm sure I could.  

FOR ME - that kind of defeats the purpose.  However, for someone else, it may be satisfying just making it across the line.  Nothing wrong with that.

I don't think a person who puts a ton of sacrifice, blood, sweat, and tears into finishing an ironman is any better than someone who is naturally gifted and can do it with next to no training.  And vice versa.  

We're all different creatures and all have different reasons for doing the things we do...

2012-05-22 2:31 PM
in reply to: #4220321

User image

Champion
Alabama

I've not plowed through all 6 pages of this thread but I like the question and think it is very appropiate for a beginner triathlete board.

I think people tend to make an IM larger than life and convince themselves they could never do an IM because it requires a ridiculous amount of training...and depending on the person, that simply is not true.

The idea that suggesting a "minimum" might get someone hurt is both sad and amusing.  I know we live in a nanny-state where we try to protect simpletons from hurting themself but if someone is looking to do the 'minimum training' they just need to know it comes with the caveat that injuries and minimum training are directly proportional.  OTOH, DNF is alway an option. 

I did both my IMs at about 10 hrs/week....and had I been 75 lbs lighter, I could have easily done it on much, much less. 

2012-05-22 2:43 PM

Regular
Houston
Normally, I would not join this thread. I do have to say this. Congrats to the OP on finishing. It was a tough, tough day out there. The Woodlands is 25 miles from my house. Now, will I ever do an Ironman? That is a NOOO way. What those folks do to get there is amazing. I gripe about my 7 miles a day for 6 days a week. There are times I cannot wait for my run to finish. I do not have the patience or the time nor the want to do it. You all that do this have my unwavering admiration. You all rock in my book. Just to see the pure joy in all the folks that finishing that day, well that was worth it. Now, the most I will do ( I have done a indoor Sprint) is a Sprint, but that is it. My best friend has done Sprints, Olympics and Half IMs and wants to do an IM one day, but the training is too much for him to handle right now. So, I wanted to say in closing, great job to the OP. To all that do IMs, Sprints, Olympics and Half IMs, you are all ok in my book. Great job.
2012-05-22 3:00 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
this thread rivals some of GatorDeb's!

2012-05-22 3:18 PM

Veteran
funny thread. Life really is good when you dont give a $hit what other's think
2012-05-22 3:23 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

When someone tells me they did IM what I'm most impressed with isn't the fact that they did the race.  It's the fact that they had the drive and dedication to do the countless hours of training.  To me, IM is about way more than what happened on one day.

That doesn't mean the OP doesn't deserve a congrats for finishing regardless of how it prepared or his motivations for doing the race.

2012-05-22 3:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Edwards AFB

I just read through 6 pages.. wow, that took longer than expected 

It's all good and to each their own.  I, like others, just dont care what others have going on.  I love to train.  A "race" is just something along the way that I decide to do as a natural result of doing all the training.  It's not what I love for though. 

What I live for..  Is my son watching me and seeing all the time I put in to training.  And at my first olympic race, as i crossed the finish he ran up and threw his arms around me and told me how proud he was of me..  somehow I dont think it would have felt the same had I just done it with no real effort or training in my rear view.  But that's just me.  And that's what I live for.

2012-05-22 4:01 PM
in reply to: #4223507

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
noelle1230 - 2012-05-22 4:23 PM

When someone tells me they did IM what I'm most impressed with isn't the fact that they did the race.  It's the fact that they had the drive and dedication to do the countless hours of training.  To me, IM is about way more than what happened on one day.

That doesn't mean the OP doesn't deserve a congrats for finishing regardless of how it prepared or his motivations for doing the race.

I'm thinking of a parallel with a reverse timeline: marriage. It's not about the wedding day, it's about the marriage. Culturally we go bananas for the day, but rarely lift up the day to day that makes the real bond. But, when you get to the point where you celebrate the years, people do tend not to ask "oh, how was the wedding?" They ask what the secret is to longevity in a relationship.

Of course, that said, when I get to 140.6, I'll invite everyone, buy the trinkets, take the photos and yes, get (another) tattoo. (With 14 already, it only makes sense.)

2012-05-22 4:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Edwards AFB
^great post 

2012-05-22 4:58 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Hhhuuummmm... RR doesn't have an overall time, but I suspect he and I finished around the same time.

I'll say this, some people can pull it off... others can't.

I trained for IMTX. My run training sucked due to some injury issues, but my swim and bike training were solid. But he and I finished around the same time.

I know that I wouldn't be able to complete an IM on as little training as he did. My body doesn't work like that. Lucky for him that his does!

2012-05-22 5:19 PM
in reply to: #4223448

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV

metafizx - 2012-05-22 1:00 PM this thread rivals some of GatorDeb's!
Yeah, funny to drag people into a discussion they didn't start for the purpose of... ?  (because I hate to assume people's motives, so I personally just ask).

Did you read my post in this thread?

2012-05-22 5:54 PM
in reply to: #4221246

User image

Master
gvey - 2012-05-21 3:19 PM

Experior - 2012-05-21 2:24 PM
gvey - 2012-05-21 1:21 PM 

Maybe it's because quite a few people on this site preach that there is no way a person can complete an Ironman without massive hours of training...like 15 - 20 hours per week AVERAGE.

Who says this?  I don't think I've ever heard anyone here say it.

Frankly, I don't see the point of doing an IM on minimal training.  Makes no sense to me at all.  Nor do I think it is a big deal.  Sorry if that's harsh but it's my opinion.

If you have never seen posts about what you have bolded, I'm amazed. I'll see if I can find some threads and get back to you.

I've never seen such threads. I'd also like to point out that I recently participated in a thread in the IM forum where someone was complaining how tired he was because he was training 20 hrs per week. The almost universal BT response was "That seems like a lot of hours if it's not your peak week."

Look, I have done IM undertrained because life interfered. I get that life gets in the way. I also get that some people have genetic gifts that I don't. All I know is that I would not attempt IM on the training reflected in this guy's logs.

I DNS'd IM Moo in 2010 because my training was inadequate. I know I'm slow compared to the better racers, but I still want to "race" (even us slow guys have some sense of what it means to race). Just surviving seems like a dangerous goal to me.

But to each his own. Congrats on the IM finish. I don't think I could have done it on that amount of training.
2012-05-22 7:48 PM
in reply to: #4223816

User image

Champion
Alabama
MUL98 - 2012-05-22 5:54 PM
gvey - 2012-05-21 3:19 PM
Experior - 2012-05-21 2:24 PM
gvey - 2012-05-21 1:21 PM 

Maybe it's because quite a few people on this site preach that there is no way a person can complete an Ironman without massive hours of training...like 15 - 20 hours per week AVERAGE.

Who says this?  I don't think I've ever heard anyone here say it.

Frankly, I don't see the point of doing an IM on minimal training.  Makes no sense to me at all.  Nor do I think it is a big deal.  Sorry if that's harsh but it's my opinion.

If you have never seen posts about what you have bolded, I'm amazed. I'll see if I can find some threads and get back to you.
I've never seen such threads. I'd also like to point out that I recently participated in a thread in the IM forum where someone was complaining how tired he was because he was training 20 hrs per week. The almost universal BT response was "That seems like a lot of hours if it's not your peak week." Look, I have done IM undertrained because life interfered. I get that life gets in the way. I also get that some people have genetic gifts that I don't. All I know is that I would not attempt IM on the training reflected in this guy's logs. I DNS'd IM Moo in 2010 because my training was inadequate. I know I'm slow compared to the better racers, but I still want to "race" (even us slow guys have some sense of what it means to race). Just surviving seems like a dangerous goal to me. But to each his own. Congrats on the IM finish. I don't think I could have done it on that amount of training.

Personally, I think it is cool to find our capabilities and limitations and you can't really do that w/o living out on the edge sometimes.  I wanted to know how far I could bike w/o fuel so I experimented and found that I could bike about 75 miles w/o anything other than water.

I also it's good to read about what others have done as it opens our minds to what we can possibly do.  I finished a 14:30 IM at 256 lbs.  I post that not to brag but to show other big men that they don't have to get down to 180 lbs before doing an IM. 

"What one man can do, another can do."  That's a great line from "The Edge" and is one of my mantras in life.

2012-05-22 7:52 PM

User image

Los Angeles
There is "minimum training" then "minuscule training". I know which one IMHO the op performed.Im pretty sure you could fly a plane on some very "minimum training" but it wouldn't look pretty.

2012-05-22 7:54 PM
in reply to: #4221248

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL

browncd - 2012-05-21 4:20 PM In reality it doesn't take super numbers to finish an Ironman inside the 17 hours time limit. It only requires that a person average; 3:00 min/100 yds on the 2.4 mile swim to make the 2hr:20 min cut off. 2:20 T1 : 10 16 mph on 112 mile bike to make the 9hr:30 min cut off 7:00 (9:30 total) T2 :10 16:30 min/mi on the 26.2 mile run 7:12 16:52 Total 

Sorry to side track, but thanks for putting this up.  In the relatively short time I've been in the forums it's the first time I've seen it.  It was a question that had been gnawing at me.  Nice to know I have the pace, just gotta work on that whole distance thing.

Oh good, more popcorn.... Game on!

2012-05-22 10:04 PM
in reply to: #4223950

User image

Elite
Rogillio - 2012-05-22 6:48 PM

Personally, I think it is cool to find our capabilities and limitations and you can't really do that w/o living out on the edge sometimes.  I wanted to know how far I could bike w/o fuel so I experimented and found that I could bike about 75 miles w/o anything other than water.

I also it's good to read about what others have done as it opens our minds to what we can possibly do.  I finished a 14:30 IM at 256 lbs.  I post that not to brag but to show other big men that they don't have to get down to 180 lbs before doing an IM. 

"What one man can do, another can do."  That's a great line from "The Edge" and is one of my mantras in life.

Me too. It's OK to fail. It's OK to "just see what happens". And I agree with you... I have always told myself, if one human can do it, this human can do it... can I run a marathon, certainly. Can I S/B/R 140.6, most definitely. Can I finish a IM off the couch in 17 hours.... not sure. Can I win a marathon, no I can't. Can I win my AG at a tri... not hardly. There are many things that other men can do, that I never could. One man won 7 TDFs, does not mean I can.

But for a guy that has a history of long endurance events, that completed a IM by the skin of his teeth and needed medical attention afterwards with hardly ANY training put in to it... for him to "give hope" to "others" that they too can do the same... laughable. False hope is not true hope.

He knew he could do this when he toed the line... because he has done it before and worse. For anyone else that does not have a clue because they never have, to follow this lead, sounds like $600 down the drain at the least.

Now we can all have an opinion on what a IM means to us and what we are in it for and why we do what we do.... but he posted, to give hope to others without full disclosure of his history.. that they too can do what he did. Sounds like he has experience and natural ability on his side. Perhaps "others" might want to know that.

2012-05-23 12:35 AM

User image

Master
No fair leaving out the fact that you've done some hardcore adventure (as that what those are?) races! That would be good to know for a beginner coming straight from a life of little to no physical activity. Otherwise, yay for the finish! YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!
2012-05-23 12:48 AM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA

This is kinda the equivalent of doing an MMA fight and telling everyone you hardly trained for it and anyone of the street can do it, then mention passively you were a Golden Gloves Boxer.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Minimum training to finish IM Rss Feed  

of 5