General Discussion Race Reports! » Gateway Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gateway Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carlyle, Illinois
United States
3 Disciplines Racing
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 50m 53s
Overall Rank = 75/135
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 15/20
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30am, got ready. Ate oatmeal, bagel with PB and a Banana. Hydrated with water and gatorade. Rechecked the list of gear, picked up Kevin and made the 30 minute drive to Carlyle. It is nice to have an event so close to home. Nice drive over with the morning weather being so nice. Upon arrival, checked in, set up transition and relaxed.
Event warmup:

Put wetsuit on and swam for 10 minutes or so. Light streching and walking around.
Swim
  • 33m 1s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim start was good. In the water on time with the first group. Started swim with normal bumping with other athletes. This was my first oly race and of course, the longest swim I have ever done in competition. The problem started after the first turn about half way through. Rounded the bouy on my left and continued swimming. Getting into a rythym with the stroke and feeling good. Next time I looked up, I was in the middle of the rectangular course and realized that I had to backtrack 25 yards or so to round the next bouy. Lost a minute or so. Continuing on after the mistake, I got back into the rythym and it happened again on the straight section coming into the finish. Had to get back onto the course. It seems like I swam 20% more than everyone else. Not disappointed with my time, but it could have been 2 or 3 minutes faster if I can swim straight
What would you do differently?:

More OWS with sighting practice. More swimming in wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 03m 59s
Comments:

T1 seemed a little slow to me. The run from the swim out all the way around the transition area was long. I wish the RD would have made a path to the transition area in the center instead of it being all the way on the end (run out).

Need more practice with T1
Bike
  • 1h 13m 20s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.33 mile/hr
Comments:

The way out was very fast for me. I knew the wind would be at my back on the way out so I figured I was going to take all I could while I had the chance. Hills were tough going up and very fast on the way down. At the bottom of 2 of the hills were sharp turns so you could not carry the momentum into the uphill.
After the turnaround, the wind was directly into you almost the whole way back. Tried to stay in aero and as low profile as possible. Drank 48 ounces of fluid on the bike, had one gel and one breakfast bar. I needed every bit of that nutrition later on.
Overall, I felt like I had a great bike given the conditions

Maybe train on hills a little more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

I initially racked my bike in the wrong place. A guy one stall from me had the same running shoes and similar look to my transtion set up. I actually had one foot in his shoe before I caught it. Made the transition a little slow.

Mark where my transition set up is so that I can easily recognize it.
Run
  • 58m 42s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew off of the bike that this run would be brutal. It was beginning to get very hot. Started off ok not feeling too bad transitioning from bike to run. Walked through the aid stations taking in as much water as I could. About halfway through, they had cold wet towels that really helped alot. I kept a wet towel with me the rest of the way. Upon turning around, it was beginning to get difficult to run. I noticed my pace on the Garmin was continuing to slip - 8:40, 8:50, 9:10. Felt like I was on the verge of cramping and was very dry and thirsty. I just tried to keep pace around 9:20 or so and then walk slowly through the aid stations. Walked slowly through a shaded hill in the middle of the course in an effort to build strength for the final 1.5 miles.
There were 2 guys in my AG that were in front of me on the last 1.5 miles. I paced myself off of them and planned to keep a strong, steady run thinking that I could overcome them in the last 1/4 mile. One of them cramped late and I passed him. The other tried to sprint in, but must have not had anything left. I just kept a steady pace (maybe 8:30 or so) for the final push. I finished strong, but I had nothing left. The heat took it all. I was so glad this run was over. I don't think I could have run another 1/4.

Complete more run training in the heat and after being tired.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished the race and tried to gather myself. Did not feel good at all. Saw my wife and kids for a while. It is so good to see them after an event like this. Drank some water and ate a little. Packed up and went home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

3 things limited my ability, 2 of them were mistakes:
1. I can't swim straight in open water
2. I need to know where my transition set up is
3. The heat on the run was brutal for me

Event comments:

This is a great venue for our area. 3D Racing does an excellent job and I recommend their races to any triathlete. Very well organized, on time, Kenny and the gang are all very personable and accessable.

Last updated: 2012-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:01 | 1640 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/135
Performance: Below average
Suit: Xterra Full
Course: Rectangular counterclockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:20 | 24.85 miles | 20.33 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out & Back with wind at your back on the way out and directly into you on the way in. Some rolling hills with a few being rather steep.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:54
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:58:42 | 06.21 miles | 09m 27s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back over the Carlyle Dam. Elevated concrete trail that was windy and hot.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes