General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Michaels Running Festival Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

St. Michaels Running Festival Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
St. Michaels, Maryland
United States
Eastern Shore Endurance Events
64F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 03m 23s
Overall Rank = 170/410
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 32/47
Pre-race routine:

This was an inaugural race in a great little waterside community on the Chesapeake Bay. St. Michaels is one of our favorite spots so when we heard about the event we signed right up and decided that we'd take the boat over there and spend the weekend. It turned out to be a nice little destination race and we had lots of fun all around... pretty sure we'll do the race again next year.

The race was slated to start at 8:45 and we were staying about a 3/4 mile walk from the start line. This was nice since we really got to sleep in and take it easy in the AM. We woke up about 6:30, lounged around for about an hour or so, had some coffee and a bagel and then started to get ready for the race. We headed to the start at about 8:00 and got there at about 8:15
Event warmup:

Not much really, we had the nice stroll to the start line and ended up chatting with one of our dock neighbors who we ran into at the start area. Since this was going to be an easy training run for me, it was nice to be able to approach it with a sort of lackadaisical attitude. Normally, I'm super focused and my mind is frantically going over every little detail before the start of a race, but today it was just me enjoying the nice weather and getting ready for a fun run.
Run
  • 2h 03m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a relatively easy run for me, as I was pacing and coaching my wife. I didn't wear the HRM, but I assume I stayed in Z2 the whole time.

The wife did excellent, I was super proud of her. We both don't often run stand alone halfs, most of the halfs she's run have been because she registered for the full but got hurt or otherwise wasn't trained up for the distance so switched to the half. So needless to say her half PR (2:14) isn't (wasn't) indicative of her capabilities. Her goal for this race was to come in under 2:05, with an eye towards breaking 2 hours if all went well.

I was a bit worried about the weather, because while it was a beautiful day for a picnic, it was a bit warm for a race. I checked the weather at about 8:00 when we headed out, and it was already 64 degrees, and the race wasn't supposed to start until 8:45.

There was some sort of delay at the start... not sure what the deal was, they didn't say but I know that when I looked at my watch it was past 8:45 and the announcer said "15 minutes 'til the start." Anyhow the race went off a hair past 9:00 and we were all eager to go. We started out mid pack and things went pretty well. It was a small race so there really wasn't too much of a crowding issue anywhere along the way. This worked out well since I was able to hit our goal pace straight away and not worry too much about a lot of drastic pace changes.

The first mile ran though the historic town center area and it was pretty neat to see everything, then we headed out of the "city" on the main road and made our way to a nearby golf course community for mile 1.5 to 4.75. it was nice in there with a decent amount of shade. As we hit the first water stop at just past mile 2 we just kept on, as is our usual practice. We are both still pretty well hydrated at this point, and as you know the first water stop is always a zoo. This proved to be a bad idea...

Once we left the golf course community, we headed out on the main road through the farm lands which was H-O-T. By now it was close to 10:00 AM, the sun was fairly high in the sky, and there was little shade... boy that drink at the second water stop is going to taste good. Made it to the second water stop and... what is this... no cups! Holy crap you don't have any cups??? Its only the second stop and we aren't moving that slow, how do you not have any cups???? Anyway, onward and upward!

So after a bit of frustration on the lack of water, we just kept on. Mile 5 - 7 were not too bad... still keeping a solid 9:30 pace and the wife was holding up well. I knew that the next couple of stretches would be the toughest since it is about a 5 mile out and back stretch with no real scenery change and no real shade, so pretty tough both physically and mentally. We made our way to the mile 7 water stop and thankfully got our first drink of the race.

Made the turn around at mile 7.5 and headed back into town on the main road, at this point we were on the sunny side of the road and where there were a few patches of trees to provide pockets of shade on the other side, we, the runners, were providing the pockets of shade for the trees on this side! Plus it was now past 10:00 and I'm sure the temp was above 70 at this point and we were both getting pretty hot. Once we reached mile 9, I checked with the wife to see how she was feeling and it was apparent that putting the hammer down and gunning for sub-2 wasn't going to be in the cards today. So we just settled in and I knew that she could even trail off a bit and still meet the 2:05 goal without much of an issue.

Mile 9-11 were fairly uneventful, it was the tail end of the quiet hot road though farmland and we made our way back into town at mile 11.5, still holding the 9:30 pace without much issue (at least none that she would tell me about!) Once we made this point I knew that 2:05 was in the bag, we got some needed scenery change, pockets of shade, and there were some spectators here and there cheering us on, which is always nice. The wife wasn't showing any signs of slowing, and even if she did start to taper off all we needed to do was hold 10:30ish miles for the final two and we'd be good for the 2:05.

Ran the final mile or so on a 'rails to trails' path, which was really nice, and finished strong for a 2:03:23 PR for the wife!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really, I had a great time running with my wife and was very excited to have her finally run a good solid half and set a nice new PR.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some high quality H20 and walked back to the boat. Had some amazing home made shrimp salad sandwiches my wife made up and tried to ice down my muscles from the inside by consuming copious amounts of icy cold fermented beverages.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think it could have been a bit better/faster of a run if it started earlier or if it wasn't as warm out. Having stocked aid stations would have been nice as well.

Event comments:

This was an inaugural event, so you know that their were some issues. All things considered, however, I think it went pretty well.

Last updated: 2012-03-19 12:00 AM
Running
02:03:23 | 13.1 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/47
Overall: 170/410
Performance: Good
I didn't wear the HRM and I'm not 100% sure of our actual splits. All I know is that I was focusing on trying to run a nice even 9:30 pace so that I could get my wife to her 2:05 goal.
Course: Flat loop through the town of St. Michaels and the surrounding area.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-05-21 1:15 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: St. Michaels Running Festival Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Michaels Running Festival Half Marathon Rss Feed