General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Leon's Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-21 3:13 PM

Subject: Leon's

So its only a couple weeks out, who's in and do you think Leon will get the bike course distance right this year?  Wolf Lake should be warmer this year with the much milder winter and spring.

2013-05-13 7:55 PM
in reply to: #4221219

User image

New user
Chicago
Subject: RE: Leon's
I'm in this year.

Couple of questions:
1) how's the water quality
2) how is the bike course? I heard there are quite a few potholes

Looking forward to it. Seems like it will be pretty competitive this year
2013-05-13 10:23 PM

Its the Mideast special qualifier this year.  That should draw even more of a crowd than usual. The water quality is poor, its Wolf Lake after all.  But its a very swim friendly lake.  The chop doesn't get too bad and sighting hasn't been an issue either of the two years I've done it.  Its been right at 70 degrees the last two years.

The issue with the bike course isn't necessarily the pot holes, but the debris.  Way higher than normal amount of punctures.  I'm told they will be checking the course this year prior to the race.

Other than that, they aren't kidding when they call it the world's fastest.  And it draws a very high quality field.  You've got to have a lot of talent to podium at this race.  The bike is quick and the run is completely 100 percent flat.  Not even a speed bump.  You will not run faster anywhere else.

I'm signed up and ready to go.

2013-05-31 10:14 AM

User image

New user
Chicago
So forecast shows low of 48 and high of 61, with 8 mph winds from the north. What's everyone planning to wear? My hope is that it's going to be in the mid 50s by the time we get on the bike, and a pair of armwarmers + gloves will do the trick. May also tape up vents on my helmet/shoes.
2013-05-31 8:38 PM
in reply to: Anton84

The forecast low doesn't come until Sunday night. Its one of those days when the high is early and it gets colder as the day goes on. Looking at 60 degrees at race time. I'll be wearing my tri suit, nothing else unless the wind kicks up.

2013-06-02 4:17 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

Well that was just brutal. Swim was super choppy by the time the last wave went off. Don't know how it was for the rest of the waves. The bike, well, it just plain sucked. I seriously considered DNF'ing on the first loop but decided to suffer through it just see what kind of run I could throw down on this insanely easy 10k course. Then I proceeded to crush the 10k, so it was worth it. Still managed to finish 3 minutes worse than last year even though I had a better swim and run than last year. Lost over 5 minutes on the bike versus last year.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Leon's Rss Feed