Jekyll Island, Georgia
United States
Set-up Events
Total Time = 2h 47m 6s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = W26-30
Age Group Rank = 1/9
Pre-race routine:

Joel(hubby) and I woke up bright and early at 2:30 a.m. We were on the road at 3:45 a.m. for the 1 hour 40 minute drive to Jekyll Island. Made it to the race site, picked up the race packets, set up transition, and headed down to the beach. Frantic Atlantic! The waves were huge, the water looked rough. I put on my wetsuit, Joel doesn't have a wetsuit, but said the water wasn't bad. We waded in the water for a few minutes, getting knocked over by the waves. This swim was going to be a challenge.
Event warmup:

Playing around in the waves
Swim
  • 27m 12s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

1500 meter ocean swim. Joel was in the first wave, which was men under 40, so I kissed him good-bye and told him good luck, and they were off. Standing in my wave I caught up with some friends I have made from previous races. 6 minutes after Joel's wave it was our turn to fight this ocean. Going out to sea was a challenge, I was swimming under the waves but was still being pushed back. When I started swimming parallel to the shore I was able to float and get some kind of swim rhythm. Floating over the waves, I felt like I was on a boat. For the first time since buying it, I felt like the wetsuit was helping me float, being in salt water helped with that as well. Finally, the last 2 buoys were in sight, I made it to the last one and turned to swim back to shore. I was happy to see the other girls in my swim wave still reaching shore, that meant I wasn't too far behind, I am usually among the last in my wave out of the water. Swim time included the 400 or so meter run up the beach into transition.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, this was a good time for me
Transition 1
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

did the wetsuit dance to get that thing off. Put on cycle shoes, helmet, grabbed bike, and went to the mount line

nothing
Bike
  • 1h 23m 36s
  • 28.5 miles
  • 20.45 mile/hr
Comments:

Onto the bike, I actually don't warm up in races, I just come out hammering. I passed Joel at mile 2 and I was relieved he made it out of the swim. I knew he had never swam in water like that before and I was worried about him. I felt good on the bike and passed many people. My saddle is starting to structurally break down, so I got a cramp in my left hamstring around mile 24. I plan on finally getting a new saddle on payday so this won't be an issue much longer. The course around the island was gorgeous, there were some sections of headwinds, but the sections of tailwinds made up for it

Nothing, was happy with this
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

racked bike, took off the helmet and flicked off the cycling shoes. I put my running hat on, and actually took the time to put socks on for the 10k run. After New Orleans I think twice about going sockless for races longer than a sprint tri, having blisters and raw spots on your feet can wreck the next week's training. I am not sure about my T2 time, on the official result they combined the bike and T2, the bike time above it what my garmin says, which I started and stopped at the mount/dismount line, but I think it was around 2 minutes because I had to take off one of my socks and put it back on before heading out.

Used different socks
Run
  • 52m 13s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

It was an out and back run. It was getting hot out and not much shade on the run. I do well in the heat and it doesn't affect me much. They only had 2 aid stations for the whole run, one at mile 2 and another at mile 4, water only. I was parched from the heat, and from swallowing so much sea water in the swim. Coming back from the turn-a-round, I saw Joel heading out to the turn-a-round and gave him a high five, gave high fives to friends I saw going to the turn-a-round, and was relieved it was almost over. I was getting really thirsty. Finally made it to the finish chute and crossed the finish line

Would have carried my own handheld bottle of fluids
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for Joel at the finish line after chugging several fluids. He came through a few minutes later. He was exhausted. Said that was much harder than he anticipated. He also said he contemplated quitting the race in the swim because of the frantic Atlantic, but held on and got through it. I am so proud of him for finishing. My time was decent so we waited around for the awards to see if I placed. They had wacky age groups at the race, and I placed 1st in the 26-30 age group. They had a actual podium so it felt cool to stand at the top of one of those things.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramp at the end of bike, putting on socks in T2

Event comments:

Setup had a few short comings in this race, but overall I had a great time and will do this race again next year.

Last updated: 2012-02-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:12 | 1640 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course: Out, vertical, back to shore
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average