New B
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 33s
Overall Rank = 66/124
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/7/1DNF
Pre-race routine:

I spent the morning with my heart racing, getting my bags packed. Had pb/ww toast and some coffee. The day was real humid, so I puffed on some singulair. Waited around for 11 a.m. to come and had some time to reflect on my friend's husband, Brent who I did the race for. Got real sad for a minute, then decided Brent was a hero and he wouldn't want me to be sad, he'd want me to put my game face on, so I did. Stretched a teeny tiny bit. Made mental note to stretch b/f the swim.
Event warmup:

Arrived at the race site with 45 minutes 'til mtg. Checked in, got a cool tshirt and found out I was going at 12noon! Yeah. The first leg. I wanted to get er done. My full intention here was to stretch, but I kept forgetting to b/c I was running into people I knew and the mood was festive. Whoops. Swim warm up was not permitted (WTF?) and I had to swim first, so I didn't do anything.
Swim
  • 08m 33s
  • 450 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

Right after the race mtg, which was inside the pool, I had to start. I was pretty nervous and even more so b/c everyone was there. I pretty much hyperventilated the first 4 laps. Ended up swimming on my side once, hung out at the wall for a few seconds for air a couple times. Really, really disappointing event in terms of "keeping it together"
What would you do differently?:

Race more, so I'm not such a freak. Or, smoke crack. I haven't decided which would be better just yet.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Transitions were timed into the bike, so I really don't know how long they took. This one was faster than T2, b/c I was psyched for my fav event :) Smeared sunblock on which cost me a little time, but I knew I'd fry if I didn't.

Maybe skip the sunblock app, b/c it didn't work.
Bike
  • 47m 41s
  • 11 miles
  • 13.84 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt lucky to have 3 prerides of the course. I really needed all the help I could get with the shifting. Lots and lots of shifting. I am a road retard and dropped my chain once on a real easy spot and had to get off the bike. It took me a bunch of miles to straighten out my breathing and my muscles were real tight in my back b/c , duh, I didn't stretch. SO I tried to stretch while biking so I wasn't laid up by the end. I followed the pace car the whole ride b/c I was the first out of the pool. I saw no one on the ride but volunteers and some cars. It would have been nice to see spectators, but it was too hot. I felt sunburn halfway through. I flatted going into T2. Felt very lucky.

Race more so I can feel a bit comfortable and calm. Work on shifting. Ride more so my cardio fitness is impeccable.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I had to walk through the T area, and there were a ton of fans, so it was cool b/c, again, I was the first one through. Yeah!, I thought, I didn't get passed on the bike! A little confidence booster. I took time at this T-area b/c I was trying to calm my breathing down for the start of the run.

Practice the third sport so I wouldn't feel like such a loser going into the run!
Run
  • 37m 19s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I was so hot, sunburnt and really really nervous, b/c I knew this was the evnt that would get me. The first mile was downhill and my legs were very loose, breathing not regulated. I tried to slow down and keep my breathing in check. The run was all on pavement so one thing that surprised me is how hot my feet got. They were hot on the bike but just really heated up on the run. Frist water stop was 1.5 miles in and I walked a bit before then. I walked a bunch of times, actually. Disappointing, b/c at my slow pace, you wouldn't think I'd need to. But, I was excited the whole run b/c I knew I'd finish.

Well, what can I say other than: I totally expected a lame ass run b/c I have been too hung up on the fact that "I'm not a runner." It has undermined a mental toughness you need during training. SO, I have neglected the run. Well, the good thing that came out of this race is a new determination that I HAVE to run. Who wants to do a triathlon knowing they have a horrible event that ends up costing them.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood under a sprinkler, got happy when I saw my kids and friends at the finish line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The weather was a bit of a shocker. But, I'm thinking everyone had that hurdle. It was my first race, so I didn't feel smooth at anytime throughout. It's easy to feel good when you do everything seperately. I should be running more. I should do more bricks and I should road ride more than mtn bike.

Event comments:

In honor of SFC Brent Adams, Died in Iraq December 1st, 2005 fighting for our beautiful Nation.

Last updated: 2006-05-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:33 | 450 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/7/1DNF
Overall: 27/124
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Heated swimming pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:47:41 | 11 miles | 13.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/7/1DNF
Overall: 42/124
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: 8 miles of rolling farmland, lots of hills, 3 super steep short climbs and the rest gradual climbs. The last 3 miles were downhill. Smiled pretty much the whole time, so lots of bugs in mouth. Blech.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:37:19 | 03.1 miles | 12m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/7/1DNF
Overall: 112/124
Performance: Bad
Course: 1 mi down, 1 mile in town, 1 mile straight up
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %-4 lb
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-05-30 11:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Subject: Backdoor Tavern Memorial Day Tri

2006-05-30 12:25 PM
in reply to: #437910

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plant City, Florida
Subject: RE: Backdoor Tavern Memorial Day Tri

You rock EL no doubt that you are related to Bostic with that kind of swim in your first tri....what a great first now the fun begins...CONGRATS!!!!

2006-05-30 12:32 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

I think Brent's smiling down at you.  Congrats.  What an awesome first tri!  You kicked some ass.  1st in the swim, 2nd on the bike!!!! DAMN!

Congrats! 

2006-05-30 12:43 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great race   COngrats on your first tri!!
2006-05-30 2:20 PM

User image

Hollidaysburg, PA

Great RR - Congrats on your first tri and awesome pics.

Now you know what you need to do for next time!!! Only gets better now. 

2006-05-30 2:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC
AWESOME race! Way to finish that run!! You absolutely smoked the swim and the bike. Great job! Next one will be even more fun!

2006-05-30 2:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN
great job for your first race! man wish I could swim that good!
2006-05-30 4:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks all yinz guys, as we Pittsburghers would say it!!
2006-05-30 5:53 PM

Regular
Wilmington, NC
Great race report T!  I'm so proud of your race ... you did SO well!  Just keep it going, and keep having fun!
2006-05-30 7:27 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL

You freakin' rock!!  I'm so proud of you for keeping it together and finishing your first tri!! You're a triathlete baby!!   (said in my favorite Donkey voice from Shrek!!

That would be SO cool getting to follow the pace car the entire bike!! 

2006-05-30 8:26 PM

User image

Regular
China Grove, NC (Charlotte)
Way to go Lizzie what a swim that kills my time way to go!!

2006-05-30 8:47 PM

User image

Regular
Spring Hill, FL

Awesome job, ms triathlete...you deserve the title, great race, and that is so awesome you got to chase/follow the pace car....awesome experience....Well God's Speed and Brent is smiling down and he enjoyed the ride with you:-)

2006-05-31 2:52 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-05-31 5:44 AM

Graham,NC

Another one to join the family...now maybe we can get Steve hooked?  You did awesome.  I sooo wish I could have done this race with you...next year we are going to kick butt together.  Very proud and happy for you.  It was very comforting to me when I had my first race, now you can concentrate on the next.  Way to push through.  Not many people can say it, but you can you are a THRIATHELTE baby!!!!!!!

Way to go sis-in-law!

2006-05-31 8:54 AM

Buttercup

Great job! How exciting for you! Are you hooked? I could practically hear the adrenaline pumping in you as I read your report. Very cool!

Congratulations!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Backdoor Tavern Memorial Day Tri Rss Feed