General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best of the Best Triathlon Championship : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-22 9:19 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: Best of the Best Triathlon Championship : Official Thread
Who all is doing this? :)

2012-05-22 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4222463

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Subject: RE: Best of the Best Triathlon Championship : Official Thread
I'm on the fence.  90 bucks for a sprint with a pool swim is a little steep
2012-05-22 2:20 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
I'm in.  Liked that it is in Denton (my hometown) and finishes at the football stadium.  And since I don't have a running jacket per se...figured why not.
2012-05-22 5:54 PM

New user

got the invite, but will be out of town.

the price is a bit steep as someone else mentioned.

2012-05-30 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Keller, TX
Still on the fence.  Your right!  Too pricey for a short sprint.
2012-06-24 4:53 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Did anyone go do it?

I was signed up, but had to drop out. I injured my right calf on June 2nd and was unable to train for it. So I went out to volunteer instead.

It was a small race... maybe around 190 people. So that was nice.

The talent there was all over the place. There were a few guys who looked super fast, and then there were people (about 10 of them) wearing tennis shoes with toe cages on the bike. One older guy was on a hybrid type of bike. I expected to see the "best of the best"... not newbies out there. And I respect newbies... but I figured this race might have a higher level of talent out there.

I think they have a great idea here... a local invitational race. AND if they could get the FAST people in town to show up... it would completely rock. If they dropped the price that would probably help. I also think that they should give a price cut to the people who placed top 3 in one of the DSU races. So that way, the people who are rocking their age groups will be enticed to go out and race this race.

They also need to have a promo code of some sort for registration. I noticed when I registered, I didn't have to put anything in. I kind of doubt they really checked to see if the person registering should have been. I'm sure no one did who shouldn't... but still. How special does it feel, if anyone can obviously register for it?

Overall it was put on well and it was organized. I hope I can do it in 2013! When I saw the competition I wish I could have raced... since there wasn't A LOT of competition out there!

2012-06-25 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Thanks for volunteering!  Yes, I did this one -- race report if you're otherwise bored.   http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=447648&posts=1&start=1   I could care less about the whole "Best of the Best" thing, but really liked that it was a smaller race.  Got everyone out of the water and on the road before it heated up too much.  Bike route was nice....wide mostly smooth shoulder, farm/ranch land, and smell of freshly mown hay.  Run was kind of blah and no shade, but the stadium finish was a nice touch.  I had no idea that astroturf fields are so spongy now.  Felt kind of like a trampoline .   
2012-06-25 9:52 PM
in reply to: #4279363

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
squirt - 2012-06-25 1:55 PM

Thanks for volunteering!  Yes, I did this one -- race report if you're otherwise bored.   http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=447648&posts=1&start=1   I could care less about the whole "Best of the Best" thing, but really liked that it was a smaller race.  Got everyone out of the water and on the road before it heated up too much.  Bike route was nice....wide mostly smooth shoulder, farm/ranch land, and smell of freshly mown hay.  Run was kind of blah and no shade, but the stadium finish was a nice touch.  I had no idea that astroturf fields are so spongy now.  Felt kind of like a trampoline .   

Looks like you had a nice race! I wish I could have seen something OTHER than transition! I didn't get to see the pool, stadium finish, run, nothing. The stadium finish sounds fun! Great job on the run!

I liked that it was so small. Really great to be able to park close to the race site!

It was probably more expensive due to the reduced number of participants.

I liked volunteering... and did my good deed for the day by letting a lady racer borrow my shoes. She had left hers at home. So I wore her flip flops while she raced. She placed 3rd in her AG, so my shoes did the trick. Ha!

2012-06-26 10:52 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Too cool!  You're the one with the shoes .  I met the gal you're talking about before the race...had seen her post in a couple of ride groups on FB and was glad to finally get to meet her.  Felt so bad for her about the shoes, and suggested should ask every volunteer she saw if they had any for her to borrow.  Looks like you were the one who made her day! 

Yep, I wouldn't normally pay that much for a sprint either, but got a super deal on my last OLY, and this one was in my home town, so figured I'd splurge a little.  Was hoping my folks would come, but my mom is recovering from a fall last week (still running at age 70), so understandably did not make it. 

2012-07-11 11:52 AM

I heard the lady who forgot her shoes talking to someone in the line behind me (picking up timing chip).  Glad she was able to race.

Probably didn't help that this race was the same day as 70.3 Buffalo Springs....  many from my triathlon training group were in Lubbock that weekend.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best of the Best Triathlon Championship : Official Thread Rss Feed