General Discussion Race Reports! » Washington FS 50 Triathlon Aquabike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Washington FS 50 Triathlon Aquabike - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Washington, North Carolina
United States
FS Series
52F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 33m 34s
Overall Rank = /90
Age Group = 49
Age Group Rank = 2/5
Pre-race routine:

Had to wear more clothes than anticipated. Air temp was around 52. Luckily I had some warm clothes left in my van.
Ate my usual gatorade bar and bottle of water.
Event warmup:

Bike from parking to make sure in right gear. Too cool to ride too much more.
I brought full and sleeveless wetsuits and had fully planned to wear sleeveless because the sleeves hurt my shoulders. But weather changed that plan.
Swam 400-500 yards to warm up. After warming up, I went to talk to my wife and noticed I had sliced my big toe wide open. Luckily those sharks that were talked about in the forums were not out. Glad I was not running with bleeding toe.Bad enough in biking shoe, would have been horrible in running she.
Swim
  • 24m 42s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was hoping to break 25 minutes for the first time in open water. So I was real pleased. Started out on front row but went slow to the first turn buoy. Then I sped up. Seemed like forever til the next turn. Then turned it on to the finish. Into the sun to finish was difficult. Seemed like quite a few people swam crooked heading into the sun.
7.5 minutes to first turn, 10.5 to next turn, then under 7 to finish. Real proud of the finish kick.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. That was a PR and I swam pretty straight too.
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Good smooth transition. Wetsuit came off better than normal.

Not much
Bike
  • 2h 07m 33s
  • 44 miles
  • 20.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out real good. Went maybe half a mile and missed a turn. Volunteers did not tell us to turn. I knew we missed it and had to loop back. I am a very firm believer in the fact that it is my job to know the course and drove the course the day before. So I take full respectability for missed turn. First 18 miles smooth and into the wind. Made a turn and wind at our backs. Very fast then. Bumpy from 25-30 or so and 35-40. Had a great ride on the non-bumpy parts, but could not hold speed on bumps. I realized by half way that I was a little aggressive on speed. I paid for that on the bumps. But when road got smooth, I could get back up to speed. Missed my time goal by 1.5 minutes. So pretty good race. I know that I need to train more to be able to hold that speed.

Start out one MPH slower for first half. Good lesson before Eagleman Aquabike, Go out slower and try to speed up just like swim.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 5 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

Wobbled around until adductors would work again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Worn out adductor muscles in groin area. Moved all over the saddle and moved cadence all over the place trying to comfortable on second half of ride..
I need to train longer than race distance.

Event comments:

Really enjoyed the race. Wish I could have run. Maybe I could have passed some of those people that passed me on bike.
l would definitely recommend this race.
Jason did a great job with everything about race and he even won it.
I wish the aquabike awards had been sooner.I had 6.5 hour drive home.

Last updated: 2012-05-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:42 | 1760 yards | 01m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 4/90
Performance: Good
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: Two turn buoys and three sighting buoys. Not a perfect triangle Which suits me. I really like making that first turn. I would guess 450 meters out and back 600 between the turns based on my swim time.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:22
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:07:33 | 44 miles | 20.70 mile/hr
Overall: 0/90
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: A little of everything except hills. My odometer said 45 miles. But a little of the extra was missing a turn. Some idiots stole the water from aid station at mile 18. Probably best for me because I was dying for port a let by 30 miles without extra water. As I heard several people say. Still not as rough as White Lake Olympic. That was bumpy as hell the whole way.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 102
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 05 miles |  min/mile
Overall: 0/90
Performance:
No running due to reaction from Levaquin antibiotics. Torn up Achilles tendons. Do not ever take this medicine.
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-05-22 10:18 AM

New user
Hilton Head Island
Subject: Washington FS 50 Triathlon Aquabike

2012-05-22 10:39 AM
in reply to: #4222616

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: RE: Washington FS 50 Triathlon Aquabike

Killer job out there!  Great swim tactics, and way to hammer the bike.  Those first 18 miles into the wind sucked the life out of me; that right turn couldn't come soon enough.  And I agree, the bumps were pretty rough in a few sections, and I hit the same deep ones BOTH times.  I did enjoy the little swamp section near the end; got to count turtles on the logs (something to keep the mind occupied during 88 miles of bike).

Nice work.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Washington FS 50 Triathlon Aquabike Rss Feed